Newbie Ace 250 questions

kenozaguy

Greenie
Nov 5, 2007
Forestburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Just got my Ace 250 yesterday and am trying it out onthe front lawn. I notice that sometimes when I have it in coins mode and pass over an area the machine SOUNDS and shows "iron/foil" on the top curser line. Is something wrong? Also, sometimes when I practice with a coin on the ground the Ace bongs once then immediately goes bong, bong, bong as I continune to pass over the coin. Should this be happening? Thanks for any help!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Hi there,
The 250 discriminates well. If you see the cursor moving towards iron or foil, it is either not a coin or a coin right next to some trash or iron. Stay away from the difficult targets at first. Get yourself a nice clean dime or quarter hit that repeats from different angles and is in the 1-4 inch range. Get used to those and then start handling the tricky ones to see what they do. Regarding the bong and continuing bongs........this normally happens when you are passing the coil directly over a coin and it is shallow or close. An air test would do that. It is prefectly normal. Dimes do it harder. If you have a buried coin at an inch and place the coil directly over it, that will happen. And if you shake the shaft a little, it will happen even more. It's prefectly normal. A tip.......read up on the posts here about the 250. They are informative. Back track if you have to.

Best,
Ricardo

OP
OP
K

kenozaguy

Greenie
Nov 5, 2007
Forestburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks Ricardo, I guess it will take a will take a while to adjust to the learning curve. The 250 is my second machine. The first was a White's Goldmaster S63TR from the late 1960's. Needless to say, the technology has changed a little in 40 years.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
When you disc out a target you will still see the ID but it will not beep. If I place my coil over a shallow target especially a coin or aluminum can it will start beeping like a phone gone crazy without moving the coil. Or just moving the coil slightly. Then I'll raise the coil about 12 inches and wiggle the coil. If it still beeps is usually a can. As I lower the coil still wiggling and start to get a beep at about 6 inches or less then it's probably a good target. Another aluminum can eliminator is to pinpoint the target. Eye your target center. Then wiggle the coil while pulling the coil back. If you still get a beep when your coil is past your target center then it's a large object ie. can

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
it sounds like your ace is behaving normally. practice practice practice! thats the key! ;) pretty soon all of those little quirks will start to make sense to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread