Newbie-do I really need a pointer \if so recommendations?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can certainly detect without a pinpointer, but they definitely speed up recovery and are a convenience. I never go without one.
luvsdux

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt colonial farm fields still now and then - always feel naked if I forget my pointer
this cut Spanish cob is about a 1/4 in. by 1/4 ins. and was found in muddy field - it was
even more tarnished when found and was lucky I had my pin pointer or I would have been there forever
had found other small bits of colonial items - tiny buttons not much bigger than this that I was glad I had pointer
attachment.php

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pin pointer is The most essential part of the modern arsenal. I would pick it over a shovel. However the pinpoint cannot discern types of metal. In a heavy iron populated area it is near worthless for finding the goods. Happened to me last week in a nail infested planter bed

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
A pin pointer is The most essential part of the modern arsenal. I would pick it over a shovel. However the pinpoint cannot discern types of metal. In a heavy iron populated area it is near worthless for finding the goods. Happened to me last week in a nail infested planter bed

Thats true they don't discriminate. Unless you have a Sun Ray inline probe. I bought one back in 04 is a godsend for me. It is essentially a mini coil that goes through your detector. Too bad they aren't available anymore.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the 80's we had pin pointers! I filed down the end of a long thin screwdriver so it wouldn't scratch a target, and probed the ground for the targets. Actually worked well. Lot of folks did that, got the idea myself from one of the TH'g magazines.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They found them very slowly...

For a long time, the horse and buggy was the only way to get around,, there was no need for the construction of airports because the airplane didn't exist. People lived their lives without vaccinations and there was no penicillin. Would someone turn on the lights for those who chose to live in the dark?? Oh wait,, what is electricity??

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got a pointer and I am glad I did. Saves a heck of lot of time. I like the idea of a ling thin probe of some kind. In this hard soil it would be so easy to break something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread