newbie getting use to detector,

illumastorm

Jul 24, 2011
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
discovery 1,000
fired up the detector and here's what i found so far in my yard, still playing with the settings trying to weed out junk but still fun.
the wheat penny is dated 1946, spoon is silverware but looks like copper, the hammer looks like either a rock hammer or maybe a farrier hammer (house was built in 1904 so i am sure there are lots of horse related items around), shell casing says 69 F N so not sure what calibur, bottom of a toy horse trailer from matchbox, and yellow hotwheels cat dozer, & a copper latch that looks like maybe from a dog leash or probably from something to use on a horse. and the little spring latch still works lol.
just a start to my new hobby. now if i can just find a nice cache of gold :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    343.1 KB · Views: 811
Upvote 0

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Good start! :icon_thumright: Just keep at it and you'll get more proficient and better finds will come! What kind of machine do you have?

OP
OP
illumastorm

illumastorm

Jul 24, 2011
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
discovery 1,000
it's a radio shack discovery 1,000. found it at a yard sale for $1 lol. i'll play sround with it but i am sure i'll want to upgrade to a much better one.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your shell is from Fabrique Nationale or FN it's Belgian and is 7.62 x 51, (American .308) cal. The number 69 is for 1969 when it was manufactured. Really common military round. They turn up quite a bit. Anyway looks like your off to a good start, keep at it!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
illumastorm said:
it's a radio shack discovery 1,000. found it at a yard sale for $1 lol. i'll play sround with it but i am sure i'll want to upgrade to a much better one.

That $1 might cost you a lot of time :laughing9: with the best hobby in the world :thumbsup:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Good finds for just starting out, :icon_thumright: !

TommNJ

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
CRUSADER said:
illumastorm said:

That $1 might cost you a lot of time :laughing9: with the best hobby in the world :thumbsup:
Ain't that the truth CRU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!No tellin what that lad is gonna dig up!

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
illumastorm said:

You know, metal detecting (or any kind of treasure hunting) is probably the best hobby in the world because it's the only hobby that pays YOU back! ;D Great finds! WELCOME TO THE MADNESS!!!!! :tongue3:

OP
OP
illumastorm

illumastorm

Jul 24, 2011
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
discovery 1,000
yes the trailer on the bottom says, matchbox series, lesney england, pony trailer no. 43.
& the cat dozer says, hot wheels cat. bulldozer mattel inc 1979 malaysia. wonder how i can find a collector and maybe get a few $ out of these?

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
At that yard sale price, I'd at least dig up enough coins to break even before I bought machine #2. It would be cool to be able to say "My first detector paid for itself the week I got it."

It looks like you have a place with some history, I'd love to find a place where I could dig up stuff like that! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
illumastorm

illumastorm

Jul 24, 2011
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
discovery 1,000
yea with my house being built in 1904 and out in the country i figured there is some history around here. i have always wanted a detector but never had the $ to get a good one until i found this one at a yard sale, get this, the lady said she thought it was broke because she used it a couple times and found nothing but nails and pull tabs!! i was laughing when i gave her the $1 but didn't tell her i was laughing at her, i knew she didn't know how to use this properly :laughing9:

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Good luck and as posted earlier that $1 could end up costing you a small fortune or find you one! Enjoy your new hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread