Newbie here with a possible stupid question

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
Long story short, I have acquired several Honda 5.5hp engines with almost zero hours on them, along with several Hypro 5200 series twin piston pumps.

Is it possible to rig up a piston type pump to make a suction dredge, or do I need to use a centrifugal pump? I have never seen a dredge in person and I am very new to prospecting, but really want to build myself something better than the simple sluice I currently have.

Also, if anyone is interested, I have 6 of the Hypro 5200 pumps for sale @ $200 each and 4 Honda Gx160 5.5hp engines for sale @ $200 each

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can picture a compressed air suction nozzle for desert dredging into a drywasher :sign13:
If only I lived close to a desert :tongue3:

GG~

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can picture a compressed air suction nozzle for desert dredging into a drywasher :sign13:
If only I lived close to a desert :tongue3:

GG~

I've actually tested my fluid bed prototype as an air dredge. It works! Now if the shop would get on making it from aluminum...

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you probally have is called a POSITIVE DISPLACEMENT PUMP and is utilized for pumping water up to much higher elevations. I've used them many times before and EXTREMELY expensive and very useful. Not a lot of volume but for filling catch basins,water tanks or setting up a gravity dredge system from a cistern or water tower will work just mightyfine. Works like a any gas engine with intake valves and outflow valves ifn' that's what ya got........John

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask and you shall receive,as I said prior,they're positive displacement and will work miracles as will pump straight up a canyon wall,have a ball-John
HEAVY - DUTY, POSITIVE DISPLACEMENT PUMPS
Diaphragm pumps are the most complete line of pumps available for spraying and pumping of herbicides, pesticides, liquid fertilizers and hard-to-handle fluids! Hypro offers a wide range of flows and pressures for slurries and suspensions. Pressures for row crop to treetop spraying applications range from 20 to 725 psi with flow rates from 3.5 to 66 GPM.Low-cost maintenance and almost wear-free operation result from Hypro's oil bath design, premium-quality, synthetic diaphragms for longer life, self-priming operation and visual, oil-level sight glass. These models can handle fluids up to 140 degrees F and can be run dry. Hypro diaphragm pumps can be driven by 540 rpm PTOs, 3 to 25 hp gasoline engines, or hydraulic motors.All of the Hypro diaphragm pumps share these quality features:
  • Oil bath design and premium-quality, synthetic diaphragms provide longer life and greater reliability.​
  • Self-priming operation.​
  • Easily adaptable to PTO, hydraulic or gas engine drives.​
  • Wide spectrum of flows and pressures.​
  • Corrosive, abrasive and general use chemical compatibility.​
  • Visual oil-level sight glass.​
  • Maximum fluid temperature: 140 degrees F.​
  • Can be run dry.​

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions