Laurie

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2013
Paulding Ga.
Detector(s) used
non
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I caught gold fever watching Gold Rush and this is the reason.
When I moved into my home 15 years ago the subdivision was still being developed.
My home is built on the west side of wet weather creek.
I noticed that all the lots being developed on that side were turning up mountains of white quartz rock. I had always heard that it was a good indication of gold in the area.
Over the years I have learned that there were gold mines in the area.
I have always been curious about the stream behind the house.
We also had a flood a couple of years back, the stream did not over flow but moved very fast, I am thinking a lot of soft sediment was moved.
I have often thought about panning it for fun, now I am going to try it.
I purchased my kit today and found this site while searching.
I am curious if my observations are valid and then hoping for some advice when I get started with panning.

The only way any of us will know if your assumptions are valid is for you to give it a try and let us all know. I suggest you pan slowly at first, until you get used to the rhythm and feel. Even if you pan poorly you will still see some flakes if they are in the stream. Look for slightly deeper places where gold would settle. Look for places where water flows over a rock. Pull sand from beneath the rock. Gold is heavier than sand and it settles. Do not get discourage if there are no instant results. Give it a good try.

Hey Laurie, I'm new to prospecting too. I've tried panning a little while camping, now have a md to try.
Looking for get to know a few folks here in N.GA....Keep me posted on how and where your doing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back