Newbie looking for Silver/Gold finding advice

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
OK ... I see many of you posting your silver and gold finds on here and I'm insanely jealous. I've had success with vintage computing, gaming and toys, but I've yet to learn anything about silver/gold and want to expand my horizons and test the waters a bit.

I'm looking to see if there are any old threads that discuss the following:

Marks and/or vendor stamps to look for (925 on silver, etc)?
Value of gold/silver/sterling silver based on the type?

Any research materials (threads, books, internet sites) that you could point me towards would be greatly appreciated!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
OK ... I see many of you posting your silver and gold finds on here and I'm insanely jealous. I've had success with vintage computing, gaming and toys, but I've yet to learn anything about silver/gold and want to expand my horizons and test the waters a bit.

I'm looking to see if there are any old threads that discuss the following:

Marks and/or vendor stamps to look for (925 on silver, etc)?
Value of gold/silver/sterling silver based on the type?

Any research materials (threads, books, internet sites) that you could point me towards would be greatly appreciated!

It is possible a 'kind soul' will post the links but to answer your question, there have been countless threads discussing the exact information you seek.

My best advice, go to google and type the following:

site:treasurenet.com sterling hallmarks

Replace "sterling hallmarks" with any search term you desire. The entire archive of posts ever made on Tnet will become available to you.

Good luck.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a real strong small magnet to discreetly test on site, get a loupe also but do not use it in front of the seller. Good luck ........Scott.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally I just drive by garage sales and yell out the window "HEY, DO YOU HAVE ANY GOLD OR SILVER FOR CHEAP!!!!?"

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the only sneaky tip i will give you. Go to Radioshack, buy some tiny neodynium magnets, usually a 2 pack for cheap. Put one under a bandaid and put it on a finger (because that is what people do that have a hurt finger), then you can feel it grab items when you touch it and it won't look odd that you pull out some magnet to test things and tip others off in the area of what you are doing or prompt their 20 questions. I would suggest the middle finger since most use their thumb and pointer finger to grab or hold things and it will be close enough these to feel the tug of the magnet.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being able to spot a real piece by eye is the best method. Then confirming it with a loupe. Personally, I don't care if someone sees me "inspecting" a piece of jewelry or not. I'll pull out my loupe and look in front of anyone and everyone. Jewelry isn't the only thing I use it for. I can barely see to begin with. I carry a magnet with me but, it is the last piece of "equipment" that I would use to try and id a piece. Most/many non silver/gold pieces out there that won't stick to one anyway. Only the cheapest stuff will stick and you can usually see that it's not real just from looking at it. Me anyway.

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
If you find jewelry at a yard sale just buy the whole box. Don't dig through it don't Or take pieces out. Just ask him how much they want for the whole thing. Tell them you have a daughter or wife or a sister something and then go home and look through it. I always buy it all. The most I ever spent on a jewelry box was $60. There was $600 worth of gold. Not all of them have gold or silver but when you're paying five bucks it's usually worth the risk. I bought one last week for five dollars. Every piece In it was Sterling except for a 14 karat gold bead. I've never found one like that before! You may go months without finding anything and then get that huge score!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest the middle finger since most use their thumb and pointer finger to grab or hold things and it will be close enough these to feel the tug of the magnet.
It will be more than a tug, I hot glued one of those to my loupe and those magnets really have a pull.

Hot glue is not really the best way with a strong magnet like that. One saturday I did my usual checking by tapping my loupe on suspected junk and nothing was sticking (I also use it on things that look like copper and brass) later that afternoon I noticed my magnet was missing. Probably still stuck to some copper plated steel item.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like anything its a learned skill.... Read the forms, posts and links for a few years. U-tube has lots of useful videos to watch. Study the sites for value, learn what Kitco is and Coinflation and How much is my jewelry worth? is... Most importantly learn as *Many Marks* as you can.... Study the names of sliver makers or big sterling names. Like Gorham, Towle, ext. Learn the plating companies like (IS) International Silver... All these are things people helped me with so I'm just returning the favor and teaching the next generation...

Hope that helped, best of luck.
Keep @ it and HH !!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more gold and silver you see and handle in person, the better success you will have finding it in the wild. learn how to identify based on not just markings, but how the metal looks, sounds, and feels

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also look for dead give-aways, like a "gold" necklace with a ridiculously cheap clasp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread