Newbie looking for some insight on a area...

HistoryAddiction

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2010
Greeting all....

My family is in the process of relocating. We have decided to leave NY State due to the lack of work,ridiculously high taxes, and overall high cost of living. Now here is my dilemma. I decided long ago if I were to move from NY... I would want to be in a state and area that would meet several expectations.

The first has to be a state where obtaining a pistol is not nearly as difficult as NY. It is not impossible here but you really need to know someone who knows someone. Second is a place where there is a substantial amount of history. I metal detect every second I get. If I am not detecting I am hunting,fishing or researching. So the area has to be rich in those aspects as well. Last is a area where work is not impossible to find. I am experienced in many areas. I am fairly well versed as a builder....I am a experienced salesman as well. I have been selling cars for years. I am however working for myself as a builder currently.

We have talked about Virginia,North and South Carolina and Florida. If anyone has any suggestions or knows of an area that would meet my needs...(well wants). Please feel free chime in! Thanks everyone. If nothing else have a great SAFE holiday season. Remember... With the holidays comes more traffic..More traffic means more drunk drivers! So please be safe!

H.A

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Texas has no state tax, although, there is a sales tax on purchases. Plenty of history and, depending on what part of TX you are in, a climate to suit most any preference. We, also, have a concealed carry permit, after a certification process. We are only 0.1% ahead of New York on unemployment, but, still better than the national average......there are jobs here if you are willing to work. You will have to quit saying "yous guys" and learn to say "yall", but, that ain't hard. ;D

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Texas is Full!! :laughing7:

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
Texas might be the place for you, it meets most of your requirements. History though, thats a little tougher, most of Texas history is on the coast.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say if you got the ways and means, move to Texas. I have a lot of family that came out of and are still in Texas, much as I like to rag on them. (OU!) And zerojinx, there is a lot of history along the coast, but there is just as much history in the rest of the state or more. I always thought Texas did a better job of preserving and teaching history than the rest of the states. (I can not believe as a born and bred Sooner I just promoted Tejas, but I shall stand by it.)

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Produce Guy said:
Sorry Texas is Full!! :laughing7:

LOL. I imagine Austin is pretty full, as is Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and the like. You just need to get out of the big cities!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on to Connecticut. Oh wait, you want to get away from lack of work,ridiculously high taxes, and overall high cost of living. So that would be moving in the wrong direction then. :-\

Hmm......well its a lot easier to get a pistol here. :icon_thumright:

hoodoodave

Jun 15, 2008
Peach springs Arizona
Detector(s) used
Grarrett ace 350
Texas (but not El Paso, the DFW area, houston or san antonio), southern New Mexico, northern NM is nice also but mostly indian land and your restricted on what you can do, arizona but not phionex (if you can take the 120 degree summers i recomend lake havasu city or yuma) and i would avoid any of the big citys of the south. I hope this helps.

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
Not sure about Texas being that great for detecting. Where some states have settlements going back the the 1700's Texas seems to be 1870ish or later. There are some cival war area's but very few compared to the other states you mentioned. I vote for moving to the UK. Something from the 1700-1800's to them is junk. Kinda like us finding stuff from the 1970's. Any patch of dirt over there could hold the next treasure trove. ;D

Charles

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, no doubt, Charles has it covered on detecting area quality......England is definitely the spot. However, you can leave your guns in America. If you decide to go to England, I'll keep your guns for you! ;D

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
Charles said:
Not sure about Texas being that great for detecting. Where some states have settlements going back the the 1700's Texas seems to be 1870ish or later. There are some cival war area's but very few compared to the other states you mentioned. I vote for moving to the UK. Something from the 1700-1800's to them is junk. Kinda like us finding stuff from the 1970's. Any patch of dirt over there could hold the next treasure trove. ;D

Charles

I would say that Texas history is older than that, push the date back a century. But a general rule of thumb is the closer to the Texas coast you get, the older the history.

OP
OP
H

HistoryAddiction

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2010
I appreciate all the input so far. Texas sounds great however the wife has the ultimate veto ability. She has set the choices to the states I mentioned in my first post. I am hoping some people from those states I mentioned will chime in with some input. I really can not wait to move though. At this point I would rather live in a hollow log and drink dirty water...rather than live here.

I like the idea of Virgina but from what I am seeing there does not seem to be many areas near the ocean that are not big city's. I was hoping to be close to a beach but not far from areas to deer hunt. I would say as far as metal detecting anywhere along the coast would be promising.... I want to be close enough to a city to drive there for work. If I choose to get back into Auto sales the larger cities will hold more promise. I will have to do some more research. Thanks for the advise.

Electrocute

Jul 9, 2010
Texas
Look in the Central Texas area. I am in a great place. 40mins from Austin. 30 Mins from Waco. 30 Mins from Ft. Hood. 2 hours from Dallas. 2 hours from San Antonio. There are still plenty of jobs going on in this area. The housing market isn't horrible at all. Cost of living is not high at all in comparison to New York. Great places to fish. Hunting is available (I don't hunt but I fish). Overall good area.

rebeljim52

Sep 20, 2009
Silverstreet SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000 and used XLT E
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
South Carolina is not .Lot of car dealership Myrtle Beach,Charleston.Weather not bad 99% of time.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I grew up and lived in northern Virginia most of my life. It has the history although most of northern Va has been paved over and most of the rest of it is off limits to detecting. I can remember dragging my Whites Coinmaster 2/db all over Alexandria with no problem many years ago. Not now though, not allowed. Virginia and the Carolina's are beautiful states with plenty of history. Texas, well, while I do like it here, I miss CW and Colonial relics and the oldest coin I have found in the 7 years I have been here is an 1865 2 cent piece. Now thats in the Dallas area. You can head to the Gulf coast and find plenty of history, hmmmm Spanish gold!!!!!! ;D

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
DigginThe ChristmasPast said:
Come on to Connecticut. Oh wait, you want to get away from lack of work,ridiculously high taxes, and overall high cost of living. So that would be moving in the wrong direction then. :-\

Hmm......well its a lot easier to get a pistol here. :icon_thumright:

I feel the same way about Rhode Island...Looks like Texas has alot of people detecting must be a competitive state...
John

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
johnnyblaze said:
I feel the same way about Rhode Island...Looks like Texas has alot of people detecting must be a competitive state...
John

As a Texan i can say that we tend to be fanatically loyal to our state. :headbang: But you have to be when you live in the best country ever. :icon_thumright:

fatman4570

Dec 29, 2010
Detroit, MI.
Detector(s) used
DFX
My daughter and her husband live in England. Taxes are high and unemployment is to. Unless you are a native it might be rough to get a job.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Stay away from fascistchusetts i mean massachusetts if you were smart. Head to New hampshire as i am trying to do ASAP. If you want a firearm in NH,you walk in the store pay for it and walk out of the store with it.Pistol, rifle, shotgun.The only time you need a pistol permit is to carry concealed.Open carry no permit needed as long as the pistol isnt loaded.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would suggest NC or FL. BOTH states have written their concealed carry permits to read SHALL issiue (unless bla, bla). Also, they both have nice ocean beaches that are FULL of gold and silver jewelry! Those are my choices, short and simple. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions