Newbie Narrowing it down question

TnTom

Dec 27, 2013
Woodbury Tn
Detector(s) used
don't have one yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found a link that lets me put various units side by side and compare feature as well as pricing. It's a long list of features and I'll keep searching to understand just what each mean. To narrow it down what would be the first 5 most important features to consider?

Is bigger Hz better Im thinking the lower the less drain on the battery?

What battery setup is more desirable? 9v x 1, 9v x2, 4c etc.

Coil size, shape.

Are submersible, waterproof coils something I could use in shallow creeks or shoreline waters? I spend a lot of time in my fishing boat and often beach it for a lunch and leg stretch and often discover creeks to wade at the same time.

I'll be targeting under $300 to begin with. What features are gotta have if its that simple?

This is the link for anyone still looking to compare its pretty comprehensive (Im so sick of that word???)

Kellyco Metal Detector Comparison

Middle Tn I am sure has some great finds just waiting, does anyone ever do swaps I do a lot of shooting and reloading and am a ffl licensed dealer and gunsmith and can always do some bartering if anyone has an interest.

Interestingly I see many features available on expensive units that are also available on much lower cost units. Some low cost units have 5 yr warranty and many expensive units with much shorter warranty life.

customer reviews help a lot to Im finding. thanks for letting me bend your ear. Tom

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, welcome. The HZ is no big deal. The higher Hz(s) tend to be gold machines. Batteries is a manufacturer preference. Just consider how many hours per "load-up". Most are about 40 hours per set.... I usually get 50-to-60. The smaller coils are mostly just to "home-in" on targets. Mainly so you get to pick out targets. Depth? A 3 inch round coil will not go as deep as the standard 8". I personally like the Ace 250 at about $230 for a starter machine. Others will have other opinions. Kellyco is ok... but most times you get a "salesperson", not a detectorist. Go local.... with one of the great vendors listed here. Their REP is at stake, not their job! This is only the SHORT answer to your questions. You will get VOLUMES from most of us on why we pick what we do. Take care. TTC

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your just starting out I would say the Garrett Ace 250 with the stock coil and a Garrett pro-pointer,together about $350,but both worth it,it's lightweight enough to swing all day,it has an LED screen,takes 4 AA batteries,you can always sell it for more than half of what you bought it for.Also check out the Tesoro Compadre,LifeTime Warranty,1- 9 volt battery,1 knob,light weight.No screen but easy to learn.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many of the features you see on higher end machines and even some not so high end are bells and whistles that are convenient, but not crucial. Whether it's the most expensive machine with lots of settings and a screen or the basic beep and dig detector like most of the Tesoros, in the end all that any of them can reliably tell you is that there's metal under the coil. The target id machines are often fooled because ultimately it's a machines' best guess based on how it is designed and isn't 100% accurate. That said, most of them on the market today are pretty good as long as you keep the notion of "best guess" in mind. The main drawback is displays tend to make many of us lazy and we pass up what the detector indicates is trash instead of digging it to be sure. I don't want to know what I've missed that I should have retrieved - I'm happy in my ignorance.
luvsdux

OP
OP
T

TnTom

Dec 27, 2013
Woodbury Tn
Detector(s) used
don't have one yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tesoro is also a good candidate Im beginning to like it a lot to. Loving the input. It helps a lot. that lifetime warranty is really attractive to, liking that.

What does the submersible, waterproof search coils let me do. work in the water? like in a creek bottom maybe 2' of water?

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nearly all detectors come with coils that can be submerged to a foot or two. Just don't get water in the control box by dropping the whole detector or lifting the coil higher than the box letting water run down the shaft to the box.
luvsdux

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tesoro is also a good candidate Im beginning to like it a lot to. Loving the input. It helps a lot. that lifetime warranty is really attractive to, liking that.

What does the submersible, waterproof search coils let me do. work in the water? like in a creek bottom maybe 2' of water?
Virtually all of today's coils will do water. A good Idea to do is wrap "the works" in a thin plastic bag (Like motel trash can bags) making sure the wrapping around the stem is TIGHT to reduce the likelihood of water damage. When a manufacturer advertises a machine as "submersible" they mean take it underwater.... completely. But check to see how deep. Some are 200 feet: others only 10 feet. TTC

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully agree w Perses! The AT-Pro is a great starter machine and has vast uses once you've become acclimated to metal detecting. Easy to use "outta the box". For $600, it's also waterproof! No other machine in this price range is waterProof. Coils, yes, but not electronics. Unless you want to detect tomorrow, save your loot and purchase the AT. Also, call Bart @bigboyshobbies. He gives great deals.
Happy New Year! Peace

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What are you going to hunt over there ? Coins ? Civil War ? Or what ? Also do you have any prior experience using a detector ? Since you are in Civil War Relic Country ... I would be inclined to tell you to buy two coils no matter the detector you choose. Since you are a beginner , you need a smaller 4 to 6 inch coil for coin hunting. Big coils in trashy areas cause beginners to become discouraged because they cause confusion. If you are going to hunt civil war stuff in pastures and woods , you need a larger coil for that. If you like simplicity , in my mind look at the Tesoro Cibola. That is one of the absolutely best detectors for a beginner who demands performance. There are other machines that will fit you need very well. The Garrett Ace 250 or 350 would be suitable or The Fisher F-2 or a variable of that detector. Since we are helping you on this site , then please use one of the dealers who support this web site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread