Newbie needs advice

grunthead

Jun 18, 2005
I have been reading this site for a bout a week but have always had the urge to plunder for buried treasure.It seems everyone hear has the sickness so it looks like I came to the right place.My question is what detector should I get.I want to kind of do it all.It has to be waterproof for going to the beach and walking in the water.I also want to be able to hunt in dry land around scools,old buildings ect.If a guy had $1500.00 what md would you get and why if you can explain.Do I need different coils for these multiple areas?Any help would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From all I have learned on this forum you are posing a very difficult question. There doesn't seem to be a do it all machine on the market. Water hunting and dry land hunting are two seperate issues. Most top of the line detectors will work in water as long as the electronics are not submersed. On the other hand a true water detector needs to be waterproof entirely, electronics and all. My particular machine will work in shallow water as long as just the coil and shaft are submersed, but if you slip and fall or drop the unit you will ruin it for sure. From what I have seen and read a truly submersible machine may be a little heavy and bulky for dry land use. There are several top of the line units that are marginally capable of wet or dry use, but not entirely. So, with that in mind I will let someone with water experience take it from here. JIM

morris

Jun 8, 2005
Arlington Texas
IF i had $1500.00 for buy a new/used MD I would get two.. one for water and one for land that us just ME? in the water I go with a Tesoro Sandshark and land I use a Whites IDX Classic BUT i would go with the xlt or MFX BOTH BY Wights if you need to go cheaper look on ebay for a Garrett ACE250.
and a Tesoro stingray... you can get both for less then $700.00 ...
good luck
Morris

OP
OP
G

grunthead

Jun 18, 2005
With all the good info.I see on this site I was hoping for a lot more input and choices from some of you detectorist out there.I do want the best I can buy for the money.So now I pose this question or questions.I am going to get the dector wet,it probably needs to be submersable as I can see me getting it wet when the waves break or when it rains.So what can I get that is say 800-1000 for a good one I can get totally wet and maybe a 400-500 dollar one that is the best for dry land cache hunting,and coin shooting.I keep looking at all of these but there is so many choices and options to consider.I'd rather buy something really nice and have it perform well than to buy a cheapy like the piece of garbage that I already have.Thank in advance for any further help.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Not much more to add that the other two posters haven't covered. Jimmileo is correct in telling you there is no one perfect all around detector. Morris is correct in telling you that two detectors, one for water and one for land, is the best way to go.
There are pros and cons to all metal detectors. Stick with top of the line brand name machines built by companies that have been around a long time and have a good reputation. Try as many out as you can before you buy and purchase what YOU like best.
Minelab owners will tell you Minelab is the best. Fisher owners will tell you Fisher is the best. Whites owners... Garret owners...etc. etc.
But I will tell you one more thing. No matter which metal detector you end up buying you are still going to dig up some trash. ;D

OP
OP
G

grunthead

Jun 18, 2005
Thank you for the advice.So now I have to narrow it down starting with one for dry land because thats what I'll be doing more of.I have read lots of different posts and seems the Garrett 2500 would be a good place to start for a good cache,coin shooting md.Can anyone with experience on this model please stand up? Would you buy it again or buy something else?

OP
OP
G

grunthead

Jun 18, 2005
Thanks guys disregard my last post.After reading Jimmileos report on his new 2500 I think that's the one.Thanks Jim for the awesome posts,for a newbie the imformation about the different features is invaluable.Thanks and keep them coming.

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
You may want to check into the Garrett Infinium. From what I've read it is waterproof and good for land. It uses Advanced Pulse Induction. The old pulse induction machines were awesome underwater, on saltwater and wet sand beaches. But weren't that great on dry land. I don't know what the difference in Advanced Pulse Induction and regular pulse induction is, but Garrett touts his new machine as being very effective in both/all areas of detecting... Cost? Beats me... And I haven't seen any reviews on the machine yet. You may want to ask around. Ask your dealer, they are usually knowledgeable on which detectors are good for what kind of hunting.

OP
OP
G

grunthead

Jun 18, 2005
That one,no that one,no,no that one.Ok does anybody know about the infinium?I originally looked at that one(1250.00)Does it work on both dry and saltwater stuff or should I purchase seperate machines for both uses.Like I said I'll be around dry land mostly but saltwater cowboy on the weekends.Any more opinions?

P

PrizmIV

Id go with the Whites MXT for land because it can Prospect, Coinshoot, and Relic Hunt. With the water setector I would get the terso shark or the Whites beach hunter ID PRO.

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
I am new to all this so I don't know of anything different than what I have. I spent, significantly, less than $1500 and am very happy so far. Except for the fact that I have had the machine for 5 years and have used it less than 10 times. If I had your budget, I would see it that, I could always trade up, so to speak, to something different. I think there are probably a number of good choices for far less than that. So far, my detector has proven to be a decent multi purpouse machine. And, I haven't fully used most of it's abilities yet.

Back, about 5 years ago, I bought a White's XLT for myself for my birthday. I had some time on my hands and was looking forward to a trip where I thought detecting might be a good thing to pass some time. I was prompted by ads that I had been seeing on Cable for White's, showing a guy searching with an XLT. I had some experiences with a Jetco (very basic) machine that I had when I was in high school. About 30 years ago. I never really found anything with it but, then, I didn't really have any idea of what I was doing. Knowing I was going to go to Florida for a Month to help out my parents, I tried to find the old machine to see if it would work. I never found it. Probably got tossed during one of many garage cleanings over the years. I didn't use much knowlege to pick the new machine. I ordered a catalog based on the commercial that I saw. I chose the XLT because I liked the display and features that it offered. It really isn't a difficult machine if you use the basic functions and presets. However it has some power to grow into. That was another selling point. If I should start to get into this more, I wouldn't have to rush out and buy something else right away. Back at the time, I think, the XLT was the only one in the line that would show some info about the target, as to depth and possible ID of what you were detecting. Ie., a quarter, ring, foil...., 2" 4", I have had hits as much as 7.5". While the ID ability isn't always accurate, it does give some indication of possibilities. There are some things that ID similar to other things. That doesn't matter to me though, I just dig everything I hear. Everything is an item found, and a form of treasure to me. Some things are valuable because they are interesting. like the core of concrete that I found with a piece of rebar in it.

050523-LowerGilson2-640.jpg

The smooth edges and colorful aggregate are interesting. Or,

050525-Elder-MysteryItem2-640.jpg

which someone here mentioned was the plug for a drain in the bottom of a boat. I think that is what he said.

Then there is the ONE ring that I have found, so far,

050517-Ring_LowerGilson-640.jpg

The one thing of value that has pushed me a little to keep going.

Or,

050525-Elder-Stamping-640.jpg

this piece of stamped metal. Don't know yet what it is made of, or where it came from. Only the size of my finger tip. Pretty small but has nice detail. I have it here by my computer and look at it from time to time. Just because it is kind of cool. I really like the detail in it.

I have also found a lot of modern coin. Nothing special yet but, hey, after a hot day of searching I can usually buy a 20oz Dew at 7-11 on my way home. Then, I find a lot of bits of metal, pull tabs, nails etc. The way I see it, while it may not really be treasure, it is one less item for some child to step on in the sand and get hurt on.

The depth indicator, I have found, does seem to be fairly accurate, most of the time. If something reads an inch or inch and a half, I usually find it in a scoop of the surface of the sand. At about 4", I usually just drop my scoop onto the sand and push down with my foot. The item is usually right there inside when I pull up.

I have used my detector on beaches in SW FLA as well as along Lake Michigan, near Chicago. I have search Volleyball Pits and Play Lots. I searched my yard a little and found parts of some old toys I had when I was a kid along with some nails from when they built my bedroom onto the house. I have done a little looking on hard land but, as I am just getting started, not much.

I Am leaving Saturday for Las Vegas and have been horrendously busy the last couple months trying to finish a videotape project. I haven't been out detecting in about 6 weeks and have been getting some serious withdrawals. Now that my video work is finished being edited and copied, and will be delivered to the clients tomorrow morning, I might try to hit some sites, one more time, before I head out of town. Maybe that will get me through the next week.

Back to a few recommendations before I close this, Like I said, I like the XLT. For your budget, maybe it, or another machine of similar level, might be good to start with. I would also get a sand scoop if you have beaches, volleyball pits, play lots... around. Get a trowel also, so you can dig in the dirt. I also, just got a Lesche Predator so I can start doing more hard land searching or cutting of turf. Then, if you are going to travel, at all, you might want to get a case. My detector came with a soft case that would be good for storage or taking around locally. But, as I said earlier, I bought my detector with some thought of taking it to Florida on vacations. So, I bought a Pelican case for it. Dissassembled, the detector can be organized in a model 1550 case. When I want to take it with me, I put the case into a plain box and ship it, back and forth, via FedEX or UPS. The padded case might be good to protect during shipping. With the Pelican, you can lock it and ship it, as is, but I would recommend boxing it to protect the finish and appearance of the case and to disquise the contents from curious eyes. The case alone might attract attention as something valuable.

All totaled, I paid about $1000 for the detector and the case. Then, recently, I paid about another $100 for the Scoop, Trowel and Lesche tool. I don't have any extra coils. Just the stock one. I think I have enough to give me a good start and get me going. As I get more experienced, I might consider another coil. In my situation though, my searching consists of the beaches and other average areas. I haven't encountered any unusually trashy areas, etc. Besides, I don't really understand, yet, the differences between different coils and how one might benefit me more or less than what I have right now.

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
OH, I forgot one issue. With the XLT, it isn't "Water Proof" However, with the guts of the machine up toward the top of the handle, as is the case with most machines, and the wiring between the coil and the, head unit, I will call it, there isn't any concern for it being used in the water. The coil is submersable. However, as I would say about any machine, don't let the control box get in the water. Also, you would need to avoid lifting a wet coil higher than the head unit. Water can collect in the tubing and run up and into the box. Always keep your control box dry and above the coil.

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
"I can see me getting it wet when the waves break or when it rains."

Pardon me for all the posts. I am responding as I read the posts. Perhaps that isn't the best way here but, there is so much to try and remember. Anyways, I don't know about totally waterproof machines. Not familiar with any.

As for waves, I don't know that I would be going out in such waters anyways. Even if you had a waterproof machine, if you got a hit on something, waves might wash it away before you can retreive it or fill your holes as fast as you dig them.... Searching when there is high surfs can be good as a lot of old stuff gets washed in or some sand gets pulled out making some things more locatable than before. However, timing your searching for the calm after a storm, so to speak or when the tide has gone back out after such high water activity, might be a better bet. Safer for a detector for sure.

As for searching in the rain, I have seen a bag type item that is available for some detectors that allows you to protect from mist along the beach or from rain. Something like that, put over the electronics, might be sufficient. You would just need to be conscious of heat build up in the electronics. Maybe keeping the bottom of your bag open or vented.

Those would be some of my thoughts.

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
wmas...

I forgot to mention to you in that other thread about your concrete core. Concrete is bored out like that to test that it set right at all levels and that everything is cured like it's supposed to be. After they cut the core out they refill the hole with an epoxy, so the hole doesn't leak and let water in. When/if water enters the hole, it weakens the concrete, especially in cold climtaes where if it gets water in it and freezes it can pry the concrete apart, thus causing pot-holes over time. Jst an FYI... :)

Robert

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Thanks for the info. I have a friend who had mentioned that also. Along with the possibility that it might have been cut in order to to run some electric or a pipe through a floor or something. Being that I found it in the sand, down on the beach, a theory was that it could have been from somewhere that they needed to set a railing or a signpost in a sidewalk or something. Either that, or the beach I have been hunting has a lot of junk, like broken concrete or waste from some demolitions etc. mixed in places for fill. That may not be a totally unreasonable thought, as I did seem to find some nails, other pieces of concrete and such that could have come from such places as construction sites. Our beach here, does seem as though it has been, artificially, built up and landscaped some. When I was searching one area, with some trees and other landscaping, I found about 4 or 6" of nice sand but it was very hard and compacted under that. Unlike the lower areas of the beach, closer to the water, which is actually where I found the core. Perhaps some kid found it up in the dunes, among the grasses and such and took it down into the sand. Or, maybe it washed ashore from some stuff that could have been dumped out there. The only thing about that is that it was clean and didn't seem that old or worn like if it had been rolling in the sand and water for any time. My friend also did say that they always save their cores in order to check for the integrity and condition of the rebar and the concrete and all. When I told him that I thought it was a cool item, He told me, if I wanted more, he could get me all I want. ;D I think it is a cool item but don't know I would want a closet full of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread