Newbie Needs Opinions - Would you buy a Whites Spectra V3 or Garrett 2500 & Why?

diggingems

Greenie
Mar 3, 2010
Louisville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500
Newbie Needs Opinions - Would you buy a Whites Spectra V3 or Garrett 2500 & Why?

Hello Everybuddy! I am brand new here, and I don't own my first metal detector yet. I have been reading here for the past few weeks, and just joined this forum today.

I am 52 years old, and I've had the bug of "finding buried treasure" since I was a baby and learned the phrase (no joke!) Over the past year, this has been suddenly surfacing, more and more. Feel free to laugh, but it only recently dawned on me that "treasure hunting" is a real thing that one can do, and that it is done with a "metal detector." To a woman my age who doesn't get out much, that has always been just a faceless, gray metal thing with an ugly rod, that only interested people like, welders.

Now here I am. For the past month, and after 52 years, I just solved the mystery of, how to find buried treasure. Suddenly I've been reading and watching online videos about everything I can about this subject. In my impatience, I bid on a White's XLT on ebay last week, and then I was glad when I didn't win it because - I wasn't ready. So to satisfy my desire for now, I recently bought a handful of books and magazines on ebay and Amazon; can't wait til they get here.

However, I do know, since my XLT bid, that I want a good detector, and one that will eventually pay for itself. I don't want to "start out small" like some suggest because I know I'll use the one I buy. I am single, and with a night shift schedule, I don't socialize much where I enjoy myself. Last summer I went to a few local parks to get out a little, and it wasn't much fun just to walk around by myself in the park. If I had a metal detector then, you would have had to drag me home and throw me in the tub.

I know with my curiosities about the past, natural detective traits, technical background and weird combination of interests, I will enjoy this field immensely. I mostly want to find jewelry, coins and relics, and eventually or occasionally, gold. (I work in the jewelry field and study many gemstones, to a mild degree, so it compliments my work too.) I want to do it for the sport, and for the profit, both. I want to keep some finds, and sell some. I want to get some fresh air, take walks and be in nature, and learn about the history and geography of my area. (Tennessee is a beautiful state!) I want to meet people who have similar interests. I have the perfect schedule too, and I can devote 2 - 3 days a week for metal detecting.

I don't have much money in my bank account at the moment, but I am planning to buy a really good detector, soon. I want to get one that I won't outgrow nor regret, so I'm sacrificing and stretching my budget to do it. I have catalogs for both, but I am undecided between a Garrett's 2500, or a White's Spectra V3. If you own one of these and have compared them before your purchase, can you tell me why you bought the one you did?

My biggest question is what the technical difference is between these two; which one has the leading edge?
The Garrett looks like a friendlier screen. Does it technically do any less than the White's?
(I only have basic understanding of discrimination and ground balancing, with no experience.)
Do you have to use 2 coils at once, on either machine, for any reason? (Forgive my ignorance; that isn't clear to me on the Garrett's "Treasure Hound" feature.)
Or, is switching between modes cumbersome on either?
(I'm hunting for coins, yet I don't want to miss a ring. What about a little chest? I want to find it all. Which ones does this the best, or is the smoothest?)
I read the Garrett will sense your swing, and or speed, and then detect accordingly; that feature would be really nice. Does the Whites do that?
The Whites has wireless headphones. Are the hard-wired headphones any bother?
The Whites have some better rechargeable battery feature; (not clear on this detail).
Can I just get an extra set of rechargeable batteries for the Garrett, and take them along?
The Whites is lighter; I read that makes a difference. Does the Garrett ever feel heavy?
I am very left-handed, and need to know if either machine is designed more for right-handed people (like number pads placed to the right on keyboards, and baseball mitts). By the picture, I wonder if the Whites armature is more for right handed people.
I'm really leaning toward the Garrett 2500, for a number of reasons, and one is that friendlier face. Yet, I can get used to the Whites quick enough, if it has a significant edge. I think the Whites might be a little more $ too, so I want to know how it's better than the Garrett, to sell me.

I am planning to call a dealer I have selected when I am ready, but I wanted to ask here first, for opinions of owners. I know when I call the dealer I'll be buying, and this is part of my preparation work. You don't have to answer all my questions, but I just threw my thoughts out there hoping for any opinions on one or all.

Sorry for such a long post but I appreciate your reading if you did; and I thank you so much in advance, for your input.

Diggin' Gems

sniper100

Jan 1, 2010
Re: Newbie Needs Opinions - Would you buy a Whites Spectra V3 or Garrett 2500 & Why?

Hello, I am in the same boat. After reading your post I would really like to read some answers. Great questions!

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Re: Newbie Needs Opinions - Would you buy a Whites Spectra V3 or Garrett 2500 & Why?

Well, I may not be the most knowledgeable but I'll give you my opinion. Obviously I own a 2500 so I'll tell you up front that I will recommend the 2500. This is only based on my personal experience with it. It has served me well and I have found a TON of great stuff with it. I have never really felt that it is lacking in any feature I felt I really had to have.

Having said that, you do need to find someone that has used both and can give you direct answers as far as your questions on how they compare.

I have seen quite a lot about the V3 and it looks cool but I have never used one (would if I had the chance though.) I do know that as far as signal freq they should be a match as far as power. The V3 sends three signals simultaneously or you can run it in just one freq. The 2500 runs in only one freq but a single freq detector goes deeper anyway. The V3 gives three freq to give a good analysis of a target. The 2500 is rarely wrong IF you know how to use it so I don't know if being able to analyse something is that much better.

The 2500 is a little heavy but anytime that I start feeling the weight I just slow it down a bit and it gets better. Usually the slower and more methodical I am the better my finds are anyway.

So my advice is really to get some good advise from someone that has used both. BUT since you say you will have a lot of time to learn your machine and an attitude of learning, I would say get whichever one looks the best to you and take as much time as it takes to learn it well. If you do this you will find good stuff with any detector you pick! I wish you the best of luck. However, if you are wondering what the 2500 is capable of just look at all my previous posts. I have found some pretty good stuff in my opinion using only the 2500.

Happy hunting!
TG

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I too have only used the Garrett and not the Whites. I hve used quite a few different brands and own a Whites Clasic 5 ID, which is OK but not top of the line by any measure.
Back to the 2500: Used it for about year and a half, but only on the third set of batteries. The weather and business commitments have kept me out of the field way too much. You have to change coils for different applications. The larger covers more ground and generally go deeper, but harder to pinpoint. Great where there isn't a bunch of trash. The smaller coils isolate the targets better. The BIG advantage is the size graph. I don't dig any more flattened cans or buried Volkswagens. My depth indicator has always been right on. The "treasure hound" converts the detector to a "TWO BOX" for deep hunting of large targets.
Buying: I have only good things to say about Kellyco. I noticed the other day they had a scratche & dent 2500 for what seemed like a good price. Check them out. Their freebies make good garage sale items, but will get you started. Good Luck and fill your holes.

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax

Gems....first off....Welcome to TNet!!!! :hello: This is the best site on the web to ask these questions because there is such a depth of knowledge logging in here everyday that I am amazed!!
As you can see by my machine listing under my avatar I own White's, Tesoro and Fisher machines....I do not however own either of the two you are considering but I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions here to help you choose. I can tell you that White's detectors have great build quality and their customer service is second to none (at least from my one experience with them). I think even though you are considering the "flagship" models from both manufacturers there is still a little apples to oranges comparison with these two because IMHO the V3 is the latest cutting edge technology and the Garrett machine has been around for some time.
I think you should approach your purchase very logically...i.e. ..... set your budget, talk to owners, research both (or more) on here and go over to YouTube and watch the machines in use in the field. THEN.....find some local dealers that can give you the "little" things like settings and programs and a good old test drive so you can touch and feel.
Good luck in your search I look forward to seeing your finds!!

Dave

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

I have the GTI 2500 and have done well with it. I think the Whites V3 and Garrett 2500 are two very different machines. The V3 is a great machine for someone who loves many bells & whistes. It's a geek's detector. Nothing wrong with that. However, I like a little more simplicity. All those different colored graphs, signals, audio etc. takes away from the mystery of what's in the ground. Now I don't like to dig junk any more then anyone else, but I know the GTI 2500 well enough, not to mention the Imaging feature, so I can leave the junk in the ground. To some, the GTI seems heavy, to others, well detect often, and you will develope the muscles and enurance to hunt all day. I don't think the V3 is really recognized for being an exceptional deep machine, ano I have no interest in it, not because of the depth issue, but for the simplicity of the Garretts.

Good luck with whatever machine you get. Use it often, and the rewards will follow.

John

Handyman

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Best advice I can give you is to join a metal detecting club in your area. Almost every brand will be represented by the membership. Go on some seeded hunts and ask what people like and dislike about their machines. Our club has an annual event where people can come and try various equipment and learn how to get the most out of their detector.

Good hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have use both detectors and prefer the Garrett because it is easier to learn. I worked at a detector shop where I learned the full line up of all the manufactures. It is more a hobby of mine to learn the machines workings vs the others. Many are suited for one type of hunting best and another one for different types of hunts. I am not a big fan of screens as they can lie to you mostly, but it is something also to consider. The Garrett is quite accurate in ID'ing the type of target and depth. It can have the batteries hip mounted too to save weight on the arm if that bothers you. There are also harnesses that attach to the detector to let your body take the weight too.

A smaller coil is useful for hunting trashy areas or getting closer to metal fences or swing sets at tot lots. It is best to visit a local dealer even if you have to drive a ways for the first detector so you can hold them in your own hot hands. This is the best way to find the one that is best for you. Later after you get some experience you can order one from the mail order places. Just see to it that they have free shipping. All dealers have set prices for their detectors and the only deal you can get is what they might toss in as an incentive to buy from them. Since you are there it is the best time to buy. Mostly the price is inflated on the extras from the mail order places. Taking the detector home with you saves UPS from tossing the box around or losing it.

BTW, welcome to the TNet forum. :hello:
Sandman

OP
OP
D

diggingems

Greenie
Mar 3, 2010
Louisville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500
Re: Newbie Needs Opinions - Would you buy -THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

Hi!

I wanted to thank all of you for your input, and for your welcoming me here.

As I said, I was leaning toward the Garrett 2500, and your answers confirmed that. It was good to hear from some who have it and are happy with it. I didn't know about the battery hip mount and harness options until reading Sandman's ans - that's a great plus. I had the feeling that the Spectra was the geek's machine. I might be somewhat of a geek in other things, but I want this toy to be simple instead.

I think I'm buying it tomorrow - can't wait! I thought about going to a local dealer but I decided not to because I know that I want to buy it from Kellyco, for several reasons of what they put in their offers; I don't want to "use" a local person, then go buy elsewhere.

Thanks again to each one of you, for your opinions and tips - it was most helpful! (Maybe I'll post a picture of my first sunken volkwagon in a few weeks - watch for it!)

Diggin' Gems

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
Re: Newbie Needs Opinions - Would you buy a Whites Spectra V3 or Garrett 2500 &

did you post this on the whites part of this brands section of tnet? if you did you would get a different set of answers. I don't have either or the $$$ to up grade at this time so for a year now I have been reading about them all and I like the idea of choosing 1, 2, or 3 frequencies on the v3. I sure wish there was some place you could take one for a test drive. Good luck I know you will have fun what ever you do.
Most important is don't give up, expect to take some time to learn your machine.
ebay has a constant flow of new or near new detectors for sale. I think from people who didn't take the time to learn how to use them. (of corse they always SAY they don't have the time for the hobby.) I almost did the same thing because I got no video and the garrett instruction manual was worthless.

No mater what machine you end up with watch the (crackbadger videos) My ace 250 sat in the closet 3 years until I found them on utube.

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

which ever detector you choose be sure to use all the differant modes and settings you
can and be sure to be patient with the hobby to get the best results from that machine.
the detector that you buy might seem difficult at first to understand, the first two or three
outings you will catch on fast!! believe me I did :sign13:...garrett gti2500 :thumbsup:
you can't go wrong with garrett :director: be patient!!

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

welcome aboard digginggems. congratulations on your choice of detector. After you get to know your detector you will enjoy it immensly. By the way, which section of tenn. do you reside in?

OP
OP
D

diggingems

Greenie
Mar 3, 2010
Louisville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500

TG, Kenley, Dave, John, Handyman, Sandman, Papa, Outdoors & CWnut:

Again, thank you all for your input. I ask that you excuse me if I appeared unmannerly in any way. (Until now, I didn't see the "quote" button, where maybe I could have been a bit more personable.) I am learning the forum itself too, and haven’t been active in one in a while. When I was (work related), it wasn't anywhere as much fun as this one. I also have sporadic opportunities to visit here and it’s sometimes a few days before I get back.

You all really answered some questions that I couldn't put my finger on and that were bugging me; it was the whole reason for my post. When I looked at the two brands side by side, I kept wondering what hidden edge the Whites had because it did look more ‘scientific.’ In the Whites forum, I saw a big table that someone posted for all of the Whites’ best settings. I think some fine tuning options are necessary at times, and I can handle tweaking, but I'll be the normal person that Garrett had in mind for all their presets. I don't want to pay for the feature that, it can be customized to death, and I might need little of it.

I couldn’t call Kellyco yet due to my night shift, but - slow me down anyhow! I'm planning my purchase for Wednesday. (Papa, meanwhile, I took your suggestion and posted my same note in the Whites forum but nobody responded so far.)

Can you guys answer just one more question, please? I’ve been considering the GTI2500 pkg with the TreasureHound (extra DD coil). Do any of you have the coil, and do you use it much? (Or didn’t buy it because…?) I know I’ll have plenty to do with the 2500 alone, for a long time, but if it’s less to buy the extra coil up front, and if I’ll use it later, I’d like to get it now too.

Yet, I often buy more than what I need, and I’m not an excavator. If I locate a chest full of gold coins 8’ down, I might bury myself alive trying to dig something like that up anyhow. Is it for the scenario of deeper, backbreaking digging?

If I’ll use it, buying it now might help me a little more in Kellyco’s deal to also buy a 2nd MD (from a choice of specific brands), for ½ off or free. I am also going to buy the Garrett 250, which isn’t on that list, but I’m hoping to get some kind of a good deal on that, whatever it may be, in lieu of one on their list.

I want the Garrett 250 for my daughter and her husband, and my 11 & 9 year old grandchildren (girl & boy). They live in NC abt 4 hours from me, and I’ve been planning my purchase with them also in mind. (I don’t normally buy them a big gift without a special occasion, but this is different. I can’t imagine treasure hunting without including them somewhere - they do a lot outdoors, camping, etc. and they will absolutely LOVE this hobby! My daughter home schools the kids and this will be PRICELESS to inspire history lessons too. And, we can to do this together on our visits.)

I read a lot about the Garrett 250 also, and I’m sold on that one for them. None of Kellyco’s choices for the ½ or free MD look as good as the 250 to me. So I’m going to ask Kellyco for a bargain if I buy the 2500 and the 250 both. Thus, if I buy the DD coil too, it might help.

***That Mr. Garrett – he sure is a good salesman! I always laugh at how, at the end of almost all of his ads, the old man smiles and says something like, “You wouldn’t want to miss out on this one!” Even though I know it’s his marketing technique, he sure has a way of convincing me right down to his little tools!***

Some of you suggested that I get into a club in my area and I'm going to after I get my machine. The one in my area meets on my night off, and it looks like 'the bomb!'

CW, I am in Louisville, just south of Knoxville. Where are you?

Well I’m off to check out what TG and you others have found so far in your hunting. Thanks again everybody!

Diggin Gems

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

back at you diggingems. I'm in La Follette, north of knoxville.

I use the treasure hound depth multiplier mainly for a friend who is in the excavating business. I locate old 55 gallon drums used for septic tanks out around Norris lake. These were used years ago before codes. I've also located a couple of buried fuel tanks at a dock at what used to be a boat dock at one time. As far as relic/treasure hunting with the 2-box i have just never got to try it

OP
OP
D

diggingems

Greenie
Mar 3, 2010
Louisville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500

CWnut said:

I use the treasure hound depth multiplier mainly for a friend who is in the excavating business. I locate old 55 gallon drums used for septic tanks out around Norris lake. These were used years ago before codes. I've also located a couple of buried fuel tanks at a dock at what used to be a boat dock at one time. As far as relic/treasure hunting with the 2-box i have just never got to try it

Thanks CW,

I ordered the GTI2500 last night from Kellyco, without the Treasure Hound. I found a little more info just before, and realized I won't be interested in diggin' up things like 55 gallon drums and fuel tanks any time soon; I'll leave those for you! I also wound up getting the Bounty Hunter 505 for my daughter and family. I wanted the ACE 250 for them, but that was my 2nd choice for them (it looks like a nice one too) and I got a good deal on the whole pkg.

Then I went and updated my profile, that I am now a GTI2500 user.... well, I will be when it gets here! (Just don't ask me any questions about it yet!)

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500

diggingems said:
CWnut said:

Thanks CW,

I ordered the GTI2500 last night from Kellyco, without the Treasure Hound. I found a little more info just before, and realized I won't be interested in diggin' up things like 55 gallon drums and fuel tanks any time soon; I'll leave those for you! I also wound up getting the Bounty Hunter 505 for my daughter and family. I wanted the ACE 250 for them, but that was my 2nd choice for them (it looks like a nice one too) and I got a good deal on the whole pkg.

Then I went and updated my profile, that I am now a GTI2500 user.... well, I will be when it gets here! (Just don't ask me any questions about it yet!)

:hello2: :hello2:CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :hello2: :hello2:
You will soon be the proud owner of a fine metal detector! I hope you enjoy every second with it. The ability to share the hobby with you daughter is very very cool. I hope I can do like wise one day.
Happy Hunting. Let us know how you like it and what you find!

TG

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

give the machine a chance to show you what it can do....
not like some people and start to complain about it before they know what they are doing!!!
or know how to use it :read2: :walk::put some hours (miles)on it LOL... :hello2:

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007

More than a few people have sold their V-3's because there is a stiff learning curve with them. The 2500 is much more user friendly and will not miss much. Both machines are a little on the heavy side. I think the size ID screen on the 2500 will be a big help. With the price difference, you can get some accessory coils and a Garrett pin pointer. There are times a small coil makes a big difference, especially in the trashy areas. You will have more versatility for the same money with the Garrett. Detecting is a great hobby and a wonderful way to spend time outside. Finding history is a wonderful and very satisfying thing.
I really want a 2500, but do not have the $$$ now. I use an Ace 250 and make some darn nice finds.
Best Regards, John K

OP
OP
D

diggingems

Greenie
Mar 3, 2010
Louisville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500

Hey guys!

My pkg arrived in 36 hours from the time I ordered it from Kellyco! I ordered what I thought I'd need, and one thing was a chest harness because I read more than once that the Garrett 2500 was heavy (and it is). But weight won’t be an issue with this harness at all! I got a pinpointer, and a big fat orange digger, and a backpack, and all kinds of pouches and packs that came with it. If I wear them all, I'll either look dangerous or like an astronaut out there. How do you people do this and keep a low profile? (My outfit might get me arrested before my curiosity, and I'll have to work on toning down both.)

I live in an apt complex, and from my balcony I have a beautiful view of the complex grounds, full of pine trees. Beyond the trees I see a branch of the Tennessee River, and the embankment dries up about 50+ yards during winter. I was hoping to start out by detecting along that embankment, but it started raining right when the UPS man came with my pkg and the whole embankment turned to muck already. I've always wondered if anything can be on that embankment, but now I'll have to wait til next year to find out - missed it by a day! (Would river embankments be good sites? I think so but I'm not sure.)

It'll be a few days now before I get my chance to get out there in some dirt. My best friend owns a vacant property that used to be part of a farm. It's just a walk down the road and on the river too, and that's where I'm heading first (my practice area). There's an old falling down garage, on the edge of a forest on her land, and there's an old barn right next to her property that the city owns. (The barn used to be part of the same farm.) I'm gonna nose around that old barn too, if I get the chance. I can't imagine what I'll turn up over there, but I'll keep ya posted.

Diggin Gems

OP
OP
D

diggingems

Greenie
Mar 3, 2010
Louisville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500

Texasgopher said:
diggingems said:
CWnut said:

Thanks CW,

:hello2: :hello2:CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :hello2: :hello2:
You will soon be the proud owner of a fine metal detector! I hope you enjoy every second with it. The ability to share the hobby with you daughter is very very cool. I hope I can do like wise one day.
Happy Hunting. Let us know how you like it and what you find!

TG

Thanks! I'm proud already and I'm even enjoying the video.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread