Newbie out West

ogoat

Dec 2, 2015
Arvada, Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
New on here, I have been on the archery forums for several years and know the ropes, I see a lot of similarities already! I read newbie like me, what detector do I need posts till my eyes were crossed and so here is mine!
Everyone I read was from somebody that lived in the East and i live far far from there and i imagine it makes a huge difference because the soil composition is highly different. I don't really care to do the normal Parks and trails thing, but rather I am more interested in searching some of the old ranch dwellings and mining camps I find elk hunting for relics and old coins! I know the area I hunted this year is highly mineralized, my electronic compass in my GPS was never pointing the right way and well there's sign of mining everywhere so it's bound to be highly mineralized! Right?? Archery is my absolute passion and I know this will only be a minor side passion so to speak. What's my best bet for a budget detector that will cover the gamut of things that might be found around old dwellings in the Rockies? I'd be happy finding horse shoes and nails but don't want to blow over a gold coin or old penny.I'm fairly tech savvy and am good at figuring stuff out if that helps. I doubt if anything is all that deep as most places I seen this year probably didn't have 6" of top soil. Probably won't buy till the spring as there is feet of snow where I want to go. I also am classified savvy, but am leery of buying used electronics but would in the right situation!
Thanks

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Noticed this is your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Colorado for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
ogoat

ogoat

Dec 2, 2015
Arvada, Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, thanks my non tailhook laden brother! I hadn't noticed the state pages! I did a year in Diego Garcia at AIMD supporting the VP Navy, other than that I was either VA, VFA! Fair Winds Brother!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes your question gets asked alot,but rarely as well as yours.I can tell you,like archery or any other passion that the answer is to get the best you can afford for the type of hunting intended.I live at 8000 ft in a mining district area and swing an at pro.adjustable ground balance is a must in very high mineralized areas.you will find that many entry level machines are aauto or pre set.no bueno.
another reason you are going to need a mid level or better machine is that the old mining camps and ranch sites are virtually littered with trash objects.the speed your machine recovers from one target and sees the next(recovery speed)is huge.

Third thing you gotta have is a machine that gives you options for coils.you will be hunting large open areas and tight trashy areas.small dd coil for trash,larger dd coil for covering ground.your hunting is not easy with a very good machine,an entry model will make it frustrating and unproductive.also there will be many areas that have targets deeper than you think...decomposing granite does that,fills in low spots etc.

the set up that works for me very well is an at pro with stock and 5x8 coil.pro pointer(handheld pin pointer)samson t handle digger.

check with the sponser vendors(here in classifieds)and call them for more advice and what deal they can put together for you.there are less expensive options,some not too bad.welcome and good luck

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
ogoat

ogoat

Dec 2, 2015
Arvada, Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes your question gets asked alot,but rarely as well as yours.I can tell you,like archery or any other passion that the answer is to get the best you can afford for the type of hunting intended.I live at 8000 ft in a mining district area and swing an at pro.adjustable ground balance is a must in very high mineralized areas.you will find that many entry level machines are aauto or pre set.no bueno.
another reason you are going to need a mid level or better machine is that the old mining camps and ranch sites are virtually littered with trash objects.the speed your machine recovers from one target and sees the next(recovery speed)is huge.

Third thing you gotta have is a machine that gives you options for coils.you will be hunting large open areas and tight trashy areas.small dd coil for trash,larger dd coil for covering ground.your hunting is not easy with a very good machine,an entry model will make it frustrating and unproductive.also there will be many areas that have targets deeper than you think...decomposing granite does that,fills in low spots etc.

the set up that works for me very well is an at pro with stock and 5x8 coil.pro pointer(handheld pin pointer)samson t handle digger.

check with the sponser vendors(here in classifieds)and call them for more advice and what deal they can put together for you.there are less expensive options,some not too bad.welcome and good luck
Yep, this is pretty much what I expected, I had already gleaned out the DD coil versus Spider coil I think it's called from some posts and the AT Pro came up over and over in my reading. Thanks for the constructive reply!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard TNet! I'll second the AT Pro recommendation and also suggest the Fisher F44. Good luck with whatever machine you decide on. And keep us posted on what you find with pics!

OP
OP
ogoat

ogoat

Dec 2, 2015
Arvada, Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, just ordered an AT Pro from Kellyco, I have the best wife in the world, she was all yeah and started naming off all the spots we've found that would be cool to search! Got a free pin pointer wand with it too! Could really go broke saving money with that company!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard sailor, I think you done good on your choice of machine. The main thing is the ability to ground balance, then learn your machine, listen to what it tells you. Even with a meter showing what the detector thinks it's seeing, there is a subtle, sometimes not so subtle difference in sounds and you will be able to sort out the good targets. The other thing is low and slow, keep the coil flat even at the end of the swing. You aren't cutting grass, keep the coil flat to the ground during the entire swing, and any height above the ground cuts down the depth that you are searching. Keep in mind, you don't find anything unless the coil crosses over the target.

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
What they said and watch u tube videos on the machine. it helped me a lot when i started. learn the different tones the machine makes. usually high good (silver) low bad (iron). Parks are a good place to learn your machine. Enjoy

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im starting to get in to archery as a pass time and im curious to know. What are the extra added loop for a quick release called and how would I attach that loop on the bow string?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread