Newbie Questions

Webfoot

Jul 10, 2005
Oregon
I've been lurking here for about 3 weeks now. You all seem like a great group and have been keeping me entertained late into the night!

I plan on getting my first detector next month, but have some questions.

First off - Why does Bounty Hunter have so many different names for their detectors? There is one sporting goods store here that carrries Bounty Hunters, but none of the model names are on the Bounty Hunter site. Neither are the ones that Wal Mart carries. Are they somehow inferior models in some way?

Second - Since I've been reading so much here, I'm starting to think maybe an Ace 250 is the way to go. My main concern is that it doesn't seem to do well in wet beach ocean sand. Is that the case with any detector in the same price range?

I called a nearby store today and the owner there told me to come in and try them out just to see what I like the best. Hoping to get that done SOON! Thanks for all your help!

Upvote 0

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
First off - Why does Bounty Hunter have so many different names for their detectors? There is one sporting goods store here that carrries Bounty Hunters, but none of the model names are on the Bounty Hunter site. Neither are the ones that Wal Mart carries. Are they somehow inferior models in some way?

You may be at a store that hasn't kept its inventory up to date or has a lot of older used models on display.If they don't have the model you've been looking at on the internet,then I would be looking elsewhere.Don't settle for anything less than what appeals to you and your wallet.

I read alot of good things about the ace 250,but I don't recall it use in salt water,You might try the question on the beach hunting part of this site.

Good Luck

M

mchamby

I can answer a little of your question. I have a BH 3300 bought at Radio Shack they are specifically made for that outlet as well as Wallmarts would be different because they are sold thru that store they are not outlet stores that carry brand names. MY bounty hunter I have not been happy with it doesn't groundstabalize. If you just want it to point to some kind of metal in the ground it will do that so you will find things. Other people on the forum like BH's, each and everyone to there own. I hear alot of good things about the 250 but I don't know how it does in surf. I'm sure someone will come on and give you good advice. The best advice I got was you get what you pay for so if you want a good machine it may cost you more. I know use a minelab explorer 2 and love it. Good luck on your new hobby.
Mchamby 8)

bmanofnbc

Dec 20, 2004
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SSII & Fisher F75
Bounty Hunter makes similar machines with differnt names for different stores. I guess each store wants to advertise the "best price on model blah blah.." when nobody else carries that model. I guess it also keeps people from returning merchandise to the wrong stores.

I have a Quick Draw 2 and find tons of stuff with it. Since you are just starting out I would suggest either a mid-priced Bounty Hunter or an Ace250 or maybe a used detector to see if you enjoy the hobby without spending too much money. Any machine will pay for itself in time if you get out there and use it. It's just a matter of time & patience to learn your machine. If you like detecting, you can always upgrade later and keep the lower end machine as a back-up.

Whatever brand you decide on I'm sure there is a Brand Specific forum where you will get the best tips from other users of that machine. This and all the other non brand specific sites are great for general information & hunting tips.

Good luck!

Rooster

Apr 1, 2005
Long Island N.Y.
HEY, WELCOME TO THE FORUM, ALL I CAN SAY IS A WHITES MXT. YOU HAVE 3 HUNTING MODES, ITS SIMPLE TO USE, AND YOU FIND A TON OF STUFF WITH IT. ITS ABOUT $800 BUCKS BUT IT WILL PAY FOR ITSELF IN NO TIME IF YOU PUT IN THE TIME TO USE IT AND LEARN IT. HAVE FUN HUNTIN. THE ROOSTER

Harley digs it

Jun 27, 2005
New Brunswick, Canada
I have an Ace 250 and think its a great machine for the $$'s you pay for it. ?If your hunting dry land parks and schools it's a perfect machine to start out with to see if it's worth spending more on a higher end machine. ?I've dug things at 8 " + so depth is perfect for coin hunting. ?Fresh water should be no problem as long as you don't get the case with the display wet or it goes poof. ?If you want to beach hunt in dry sand only then it will work for that with no problems as far as I've seen, and you can even get into the moist sand as well. ?Don't even think of taking an Ace into the salt water surf you will go deaf from all the false signals.

I would go with the ace to start out with unless you live near a popular salt water beach then it would be worth getting a better machine more suited for that kind of work. ?What machine I can't say, goto the water detecting section and ask those guys they wont steer you wrong. ?If I lived close to a beach I would go that route as its much easier to retrieve those signals in the sand as apposed to digging a 6-8" hole for a pull tab, but thats what separates the men from the boys hehe. ?It seems that the salt water beaches get their finds replenished every day too, just would limit you to detecting to certain times of year in the north if you don't get a well rounded machine. ?I would also go with a totally water proof machine if in the drink to get those treasures that are farther out. ?

Lol sorry this is so long but I'm full of wind!

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
Salt water sand and surf hunting is very specialized and the machines are much higher priced. You would want to check carefully because alot of these machines seem to have more "quirks" than land machines. You are not going to be in the Ace 250 price zone (at all) for a new salt capable machine so you will have to decide how much of a roll that is going to play in your hunting activities. The Ace has a pointer style target ID, some machines have target ID numbers, some tones only. I have one of each style, and really like the target ID number machine for general use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread