Newbie Starting out in UK

A

andystephens

Hello everyone

I am starting out Treasure Hunting in the UK. I have been dreaming about it for years but I have now decided to start doing some thing about it.

I am interested in looking for gold mainly. Anything else will be an added bonus. I am wondering whether anyone knows any good places to start looking for gold and what equipment will I need.

I am also interested in metal detecting on beaches. Are there any laws I need to adhere to.

Your help would be most appreciated

Andy

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Andy, and welcome to the forum! There's a lot to learn, but you don't need to know it all at once. Check out the available metal detectors, try before you by, and get out there and start hunting. The laws can be a pain, but be sure you check them because you can get in a lot of trouble detecting illegally. The beach is a good place to start since they, usually, are legal to detect and the digging is easy. Here is the "Code" (specific to the UK)...

Main points of the code
Responsible metal detecting involves:

- avoiding protected sites, or land in the near vicinity (because areas of archaeological sensitivity and the boundaries of protected sites may not always correspond);

- obtaining permission from the relevant landowner (and tenant if different to the landowner) to use a detector;

- never trespass;

- never assuming that anyone is allowed to detect on public land (such as parks or other Council owned land), or on open land in the countryside - there may be local byelaws or other regulations forbidding this;

- plotting and logging the location of all finds as accurately as possible;

- reporting all finds, so that they can be identified and the information they provide can pass into the historical record;

- reporting possible treasure finds to the Coroner for the relevant district;

- working on ground already disturbed, within plough depth;

- seeking expert help if something large is discovered below the plough-soil, or a concentration of material, or any other unusual find;

- observing the Country Code;

- calling the police, and notifying the landowner and tenant, in the unusual (and dangerous) event that live explosives are found.

Also, fill your holes, pack out any trash you find and, most importantly, Have Fun.

HH!
TBGO

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI ANDY,
GOOD LUCK AND THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU IS TO DO LITTLE RESEARCH WHEN YOU GET TIME. IT DOES PAY OFF.

TINPAN

S

Scottish Gold

hi there,

If it's gold nuggets in the UK you are looking for, there's probably on a few places in Wales and Scotland that might be worth trying, Mawdach, Afon Wen in Wales and Leadhills, Kildonan and some others in Scotland. Devon also has some gold.

might be worth checking out www.butegold.co.uk/forum for more info

best of luck

pic of some Scottish Nuggets attached

Attachments

• djgold.jpg
    djgold.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 176

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread