Newbie to the forums

Weazel

Jan 26, 2006
Covington, GA
Greetings all, I have been looking over the posts here for a few days and enjoyed them, an figured I would regester.

A little about my self, I live in georgia and bought a metal detector a coupla years ago because of finding barbed wire in the woods not 50 ft from my house, having kids i figured I could buy the detector to find as much of the wire as I could to keep from having those horrible doctor visits for my kids or my self getting stuck by old rusty wire. So far I have discovered what can only be describes as an old farm house area. so far my finds have been interesting but not very valuable. 3 horse shoes, and old wrench and parts and pieces of wheels, and pieces of old farm equipment. mostly iron, or yeah I almost forgot I also fount an axe that was lost while we were building my house. I figure nothing I have found in older than 100 years old.

With the 5 gal bucket I keep for dropping the stuff I find getting full and the amount of stuff I am finding I am hoping that one day I will find something more valuable than what I considder scrap iron, I will be taking a few pics of what I have found and post them.

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Weazel and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you might have an interesting area around your house. What kind of machine are you using?

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcometo the forum. Patience is the name of the game. Research and finding a place lots of people have or had visited one time or another. HH Burdie

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum!

And......be careful what you discard....you never know if it might be something really good! ;)

Looking forward to seeing your finds!

;)

OP
OP
W

Weazel

Jan 26, 2006
Covington, GA
I am on a 250 acre piece of property that has a coupla open wells on it and known old home sites. My guess is where my house was built was a barn due to what I am finding. as for the detector I am using, it a Discovery 2200 made by bounty hunter, its the radio shack brand.

I bought it because of finding the barbed wire to keep my kids safe and me from many tetanus shots :) . in that alone I figure I have saved more than I paid for the detector.

as a kid I always wanted a detector, I have done some gold sluiceing and panning in my late teen early 20 years, and have always daydreamd about pirate treasuresince I was very young. Great story there. I was about 12 and the creek behind my house I found a rock that looked like a hand with a finger pointing so as a 12 year old boy I had to dig into the bank just knowing there had to be treasure there. never found anything. but the bug bit and the bug has bitten me ever since.

N

Newline

Hey Weazel, I'm pretty new here too. I had always wanted a metal detector and when I was little had the old orange Radio Shack kind. Now, many years later, I finally got one for Christmas...A Discovery 2200 as well. I know it's not top of the line but I figure, find some nice stuff and convince my wife it's worth the grand for a Fisher. It's a fun hobby, that I can see already as I'm reliving all of that young excitement. This is a great place to be, the people are kind, intelligent, and HELPFUL. Good luck on your land. I like anything I find so your pictures look like treasure to me. I just love finding those things which were always underfoot and no one knew. HH--------Newline

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I looked at the specs for the Discovery 2200 and it looks like it should do a decent job finding a wide range of targets. I'd suggest running it wide-open (no discrimination) until you get a good feel for the machine and for what type of things are on the property. More importantly, I would test it on sample targets (coins, jewelry, bullets, iron, etc.) to see how the detector responds...this will help a lot when in the field.

Good luck and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread