hammit1982

Greenie
Jun 19, 2012
Jacksboro, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys, I'm new to the hobby. I live in East Tennessee and have been calling local parks to see if they allow metal detecting. Sometimes I get a flat "no" other times I get that they "discourage it." What would some of you experts suggest in terms of me finding good sites? I found one field that used to have a couple of houses from the 1800's in it. I got the owner's permission. I'd like to check out some public areas but with a lot of places not having policies on it, it kind of makes me hesitant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Why didn't you look up city codes and rules for yourself, rather than calling? I'll bet they didn't cite any actual rules that *specifically* say "not metal detecting", did they? Instead they probably morphed something else to apply to your "pressing question", and simply gave you the "easy answer". In other words, a lot of times, no one cares ........ TILL you ask. How much you want to make a bet that those parks are probably already detected by others, and they don't have a problem (unless you or they were being a nuisance in some other way).

This is quite common, where parks in various towns don't have a problem, so long as you're being neat, and not an eye-sore. No one cares. But lo and behold, someone waltzes into city hall, asks, and get's told "no". See how that works? Some desk-bound bureaucrat has images of geeks with shovels, so gives the easy answer (when perhaps they'd have never given the matter a moment's thought before you walked in). And the danger NOW becomes that: guess what's going to happen the next time that bureaucrat passes by the park, and sees another md'r? They'll remember your inquiry, and start booting others!

So let this be a lesson for you, to look up rules for yourself. If you see nothing specifically forbidding detecting, then presto, it must not be prohibited. You no more need to ask, than needing ask to fly frisbees. Of course this doesn't mean you can go "nilly willy" waltzing over beach blankets, being a nuisance, digging craters in front of busy-bodies, etc... I mean, c'mon, even when "not prohibited", a bit of discretion is used here. Because we're in an odd hobby that has connotations. So still pick low-traffic times, avoid busy-bodies, etc....

Or, as you say, you can just stick to private property with permission (old yards, etc...)

Hey guys, I'm new to the hobby. I live in East Tennessee and have been calling local parks to see if they allow metal detecting. Sometimes I get a flat "no" other times I get that they "discourage it." What would some of you experts suggest in terms of me finding good sites? I found one field that used to have a couple of houses from the 1800's in it. I got the owner's permission. I'd like to check out some public areas but with a lot of places not having policies on it, it kind of makes me hesitant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I see one of these posts I know Tom_in_CA is going to be one of the first posters and I know almost exactly what he is going to say....AND he is right! I learned pretty quick to look it up my self and then ask questions like "Im going to be at (such and such park) and I would like to know what hours is metal detecting allowed? As opposed to IS metal detecting allowed. The only reason I do this is because here in Nebraska, the wording of rules is about as clear as mud. State Park Rules

001.14C The possession and use of metal detectors
is prohibited; Provided, possession of such a
device is permitted subject to the following
provisions:
001.14C1 Metal detectors may be used year
around at designated state recreation area
swimming beaches posted as open to such
activity. During the period May 22 through
September 7, usage is restricted to the hours
of 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., daily. Metal
detectors must remain below the vegetation
line above the beach.Title 163
Chapter 5
001.14C2 Metal detectors are limited to
portable, hand-held devices only and digging
equipment is limited to hand tools not
exceeding twelve inches in length by four
inches in width and sand scoops and sieves not
over ten inches in diameter.
001.14C3 Operators of a metal detector shall
wear or carry a litter apron or bag, and all
litter found is to be deposited in an approved
trash receptacle.
001.14C4 Operators may keep any nonidentifiable items with a nominal value of
less than $25.00. Identifiable items, such as
rings, watches, etc., and all other items of
value exceeding $25.00 are to be deposited
with the park superintendent. These
provisions apply to all lost and found
articles including those found without the aid
of a metal detector.
001.14C5 All historical, archeological or
paleontological items found are to be left
undisturbed and their location reported to the
park superintendent.
001.14C6 Use of metal detectors in State
Parks and State Historical Parks is expressly
prohibited except as herein provided.

This is the email I have been using to check individual park regulations. Feel free to use it if you wish, just make sure you edit the title, chapter and sections.

Hello,
We are going considering camping at at Grove Lake this summer
and reading State Park Regulations Title 163 Chapter 5 Section 001.14
I see that Metal detecting is allowed in designated areas and was
wondering what hours is beach detecting allowed.
This is a hobby that I enjoy and typically new coins are the only
thing that is found, but occasionally there are some rings or other
jewelry that is found as well. These Items I always leave with the
park office as well as any contact information that may be needed.
All garbage (pop tabs, cans, foil, plastic bottles etc..) that are
found are disposed of as well)

Thank your for your time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hammit1982

hammit1982

Greenie
Jun 19, 2012
Jacksboro, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why didn't you look up city codes and rules for yourself, rather than calling? I'll bet they didn't cite any actual rules that *specifically* say "not metal detecting", did they? Instead they probably morphed something else to apply to your "pressing question", and simply gave you the "easy answer". In other words, a lot of times, no one cares ........ TILL you ask. How much you want to make a bet that those parks are probably already detected by others, and they don't have a problem (unless you or they were being a nuisance in some other way).

This is quite common, where parks in various towns don't have a problem, so long as you're being neat, and not an eye-sore. No one cares. But lo and behold, someone waltzes into city hall, asks, and get's told "no". See how that works? Some desk-bound bureaucrat has images of geeks with shovels, so gives the easy answer (when perhaps they'd have never given the matter a moment's thought before you walked in). And the danger NOW becomes that: guess what's going to happen the next time that bureaucrat passes by the park, and sees another md'r? They'll remember your inquiry, and start booting others!

So let this be a lesson for you, to look up rules for yourself. If you see nothing specifically forbidding detecting, then presto, it must not be prohibited. You no more need to ask, than needing ask to fly frisbees. Of course this doesn't mean you can go "nilly willy" waltzing over beach blankets, being a nuisance, digging craters in front of busy-bodies, etc... I mean, c'mon, even when "not prohibited", a bit of discretion is used here. Because we're in an odd hobby that has connotations. So still pick low-traffic times, avoid busy-bodies, etc....

Or, as you say, you can just stick to private property with permission (old yards, etc...)
I appreciate your input and advice, but you don't have to be rude man

MADJOKER

Jun 25, 2011
Missouri City, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
hammit1982 said:
I appreciate your input and advice, but you don't have to be rude man

I don't think he was being rude. I think he was just stating facts on how you find places to hunt. When dealing with text it can be sometimes taken as rude when really it was not meant to be.

Good luck an happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have read many replies from Tom and I don't think he was being rude. He was just stating the facts....and you see he lives in Ca....I could just imagine him asking every park employee if detecting was prohibited..he would never find a place to detect. Almost all cities has their own set of rules. If it is not mentioned, then I also take it as being fine to detect. If an employee runs you off, I would leave without saying anything...don't give them a reason to redo their rules. Then I would come back at a later time when most of the employees are home. GL and HH.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup ,looks like Tom nailed that one too.
If I don't see any posted rules against metal detecting in a public park then you can bet I'm not asking boo for permission. Good luck....................................

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think he was being rude. I think he was just stating facts on how you find places to hunt. When dealing with text it can be sometimes taken as rude when really it was not meant to be.

Good luck an happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Yeah, not being rude just plainly stating the facts. However they are facts that have been stated on here over, and over, and over...so it does get old sometimes.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont worry next week someone else will have this same post going after calling 10 times and getting no answers from parks they should have just hunted as it was legal in the first place

OP
OP
hammit1982

hammit1982

Greenie
Jun 19, 2012
Jacksboro, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, I sense the friendliness all over this site. I'm glad not everyone on here is so uptight geez

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
thanx everyone for your support of this stance. Quarter-master, you know the laws you cite (which have specific verbage on md'ing) are for those state-level laws only (ie.: state parks). Not city or county level/managed places, right?

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In New Mexico on BLM Land their rules actually read:
"You may metal detect or treasure hunt on public land. You may not disturb the area by digging." :dontknow:

Last edited:

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanx everyone for your support of this stance. Quarter-master, you know the laws you cite (which have specific verbage on md'ing) are for those state-level laws only (ie.: state parks). Not city or county level/managed places, right?

Yep, City park, county park, NRD park all fair game unless posted. and DONT ASK! :)

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In New Meeexico on BLM Land their rules actually read:
"You may metal detect or treasure hunt on public land. You may not disturb the area by digging." :dontknow:

Get good with a probe if your coin shooting. Locate the target, then come in from the side and get under it and slowly work it up..not digging..BUT if your good at cutting your plug to where no one notices it well have at it. :) just dont get caught in the process. :thumbsup:

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get good with a probe if your coin shooting. Locate the target, then come in from the side and get under it and slowly work it up..not digging..BUT if your good at cutting your plug to where no one notices it well have at it. :) just dont get caught in the process. :thumbsup:

LOL QM. Wait till you read the beginning of paragraph 2:
"If you find "Treasure", you may look at it and enjoy its significance. You may not dig up the item or remove it from the exact place where it was found.":tongue3:
BTW I just stay away from BLM land.

Useless Eater

Greenie
Mar 12, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put yourself in those government workers position, the jockeying and defending of their place in their workplace pecking order often drives them to go "postal", none of them are going to say yes to metal detecting because it might give a coworker reason to heckle/berate/belittle them if you leave holes. Just leave no trace you were there and go at times when few other people are around and you will get no friction. Bringing your kid/kids or nieces/nephews would help also.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
In New Mexico on BLM Land their rules actually read:

Chris-play, OF COURSE there will always be prohibitions, in/on ANY public land, forbidding destruction, alteration, holes, digging, disturbance, vandalism, defacement, and all such wording. I mean, what did you expect? :icon_scratch: Did you think you were going to be able to walk into any city hall, in any city in the USA, and say "Hi, can I please deface the park please?" and they tell you "sure, have a ball!" :tongue3:

But think of it guys: All those words DISTINCTLY refer to the end result, do they not? So if you've left no trace of your presence, then by logical definition, you have not altered, vandalized, or defaced anything, now have you? So do not make the automatic equivalence that md'ing = destruction, or you'll have lost the battle already. Because all places forbid such things. But since you know, and I know, that we will cover our spots and leave no trace, why isn't that good enough?

Sure there's the temporary evil process of extraction, that someone can debate our semantics of definitions on. You've got to be a little discreet, and avoid those type busy bodies. I wish the red carpet were rolled out for me too (with neon signs saying "detecting and defacement welcome here"), but it's simply not going to happen. You're simply not going to be able to waltz over beach blankets, and go right in front of landscapers, during archie conventions. I mean, this is a little like nose picking, you have to be a little discreet on your timing, for pete's sake.

If it really bothers someone that they can't find a place that "allows" destruction, digging, alteration, defacement, etc.... And you truly believe your hobby is defined in those terms, then I'm afraid you've chosen the wrong hobby. So please remember, those terms refer to the end result. And simply avoid persons to differ with this interpretation.

OP
OP
hammit1982

hammit1982

Greenie
Jun 19, 2012
Jacksboro, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Chris-play, OF COURSE there will always be prohibitions, in/on ANY public land, forbidding destruction, alteration, holes, digging, disturbance, vandalism, defacement, and all such wording. I mean, what did you expect? :icon_scratch: Did you think you were going to be able to walk into any city hall, in any city in the USA, and say "Hi, can I please deface the park please?" and they tell you "sure, have a ball!" :tongue3:

But think of it guys: All those words DISTINCTLY refer to the end result, do they not? So if you've left no trace of your presence, then by logical definition, you have not altered, vandalized, or defaced anything, now have you? So do not make the automatic equivalence that md'ing = destruction, or you'll have lost the battle already. Because all places forbid such things. But since you know, and I know, that we will cover our spots and leave no trace, why isn't that good enough?

Sure there's the temporary evil process of extraction, that someone can debate our semantics of definitions on. You've got to be a little discreet, and avoid those type busy bodies. I wish the red carpet were rolled out for me too (with neon signs saying "detecting and defacement welcome here"), but it's simply not going to happen. You're simply not going to be able to waltz over beach blankets, and go right in front of landscapers, during archie conventions. I mean, this is a little like nose picking, you have to be a little discreet on your timing, for pete's sake.

If it really bothers someone that they can't find a place that "allows" destruction, digging, alteration, defacement, etc.... And you truly believe your hobby is defined in those terms, then I'm afraid you've chosen the wrong hobby. So please remember, those terms refer to the end result. And simply avoid persons to differ with this interpretation.
lol you took my post way out of context you need to get a life man...instead of being a forum bum. Sounds like you spend way too much time on here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread