Newby would like some places to MD

curtismstang

Jun 30, 2008
Louisa County, VA
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
I am new to this hobby. Just got a BH Landstar for Fathers Day and am really itching to get some finds in. Have tried to get info on the laws here in Va with MD, but having a hard time. I live in Louisa County and would really like to get with someone who has permission to hit a site or two around Richmond, Hanover, Henrico, or other surronding areas. Really need to hone my skills and get my feet wet. I have been MD before with a friend who owned a Minelab in Amelia some years ago and found several bullets within a few minutes. I've really been hooked since then. Respond to [email protected], subject line" MD".

Thanks in advance for any help getting started.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The very best place to start to learn is practice in your own front and back yard... then go to the playgrounds and search the totlots ( swings,sliding board, sandy play areas) and ball fields as long as it is permitted . When your confident enough, then go to the old places with permission and also maybe someone will read your post and you will have a new hunting buddy too that you can learn from as well..

best of luck.
Booty

OP
OP
curtismstang

curtismstang

Jun 30, 2008
Louisa County, VA
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
Been searching yard and surrounding woods for a few days already. Nutin' but trash, but getting used to the detector anyway for that BIG find someday. Thanks Bootybay for the reply.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your very welcomed, although I am far from a pro..I dearly love hunting.... so just hang in there, someone will answer ... keep on posting and have fun digging.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
curtismstang,
I live out in Mechanicsville and just recently started getting back in to detecting myself. Due to time constraints I haven't gotten out as much as I would like to have. My backyard backs up to a battlefield so I have gotten some good practice there. I use a Tesoro Tejon, and I am still getting used to a non metered machine.

I have a couple suggestions for you. The first is to hit local playgrounds at the elementary schools. I think it is good to learn your detector that way while making some pocket change. The other is to hit where Hall's Tavern used to be in Louisa right off of I-64 at Xion Crossings road. The tavern dates to the 1700's. The owner had until 6/30 to physically relocate the tavern to make way for an industrial park. Being I don't live next door to it, I wrote the developers a week or two ago to gain permission to hunt on the property one weekend once the tavern was removed. I only did that to prevent a wasted trip. The company is called Xroads LLC of Charlottesville. I would give you the address, but I did not save a copy of what I sent that had the contact info. Look them up and see if they will give you permission to go check it out. If I hear back from them, I will let you know. Here is the article about it that was in the Times Dispatch: http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-04-21-0149.html

OP
OP
curtismstang

curtismstang

Jun 30, 2008
Louisa County, VA
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
Thanks Philvis for the 411. I will try and look this up and see what comes of it. Let me know if you hear something first, maybe we can hit it together.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Not a problem at all. If I hear anything about Hall's I will let you know. I will keep an eye open for anything that may be of interest to you as well. Louisa is a great place to hunt if you can find the stop overs there people may have taken on their way to Charlottesville and beyond during the 18th and 19th century.

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70
Philvis,
I too live here in Mechanicsville. I think everyone's back yard is a battleground. There seems to be no rhyme or rhythm to where anyone will find a treasure. Just remember curtismstang, there is no such thing as "HUNTED OUT". Sounds like Philvis gave you some good information. Good Luck......

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Treasure Detector, you couldn't be more right about a site not being hunted out. I've pulled two minie balls from my backyard. I just moved into my house about a year and half ago and didn't get to detect it until this Spring. When I found the 2nd minie ball, my neighbor came over and was shocked. He had lived there for nearly 20 years when the neighborhood first was built and said he thought it was detected out because it was hit pretty hard from what he heard when it was being built. I've just not had the time to really take a couple hours and hit the yard really good. Just 30 minutes here and there a few times. I'm hoping to really do some more detecting this summer.

newbob

Jan 29, 2007
richmond,va
Hi all, I live down here in the Elko area. Not far from the white oak swamp battle field.
I have had no luck getting permission from anybody in this area to MD. If any body is looking to
hook up i'm free but have no where to go.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I tell you a very promising place to detect would be the shopping center just before you get to Laburnum and Rt. 360 if you are coming from Mechanicsville. There used to be a Bradley's there long ago and currently there is only a Firestone and Anthony's Pizza. They have torn down all the buildings except the Firestone one. From what I have heard over the years Lee's camp used to be there, which is right across from Chickahominy Bluffs Battlefield. Being the shopping center was built prior to the surge of metal detecting, the area may still be chock full of Civil War era relics. I went there a few weeks back to try and detect the grassy area behind the shopping center, but the weeds were too high. I really do think there is some great potential there and now is the time to hunt before they redevelop the area.

OP
OP
curtismstang

curtismstang

Jun 30, 2008
Louisa County, VA
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
Philvis, I have done some research and found the address for Xroads LLC for the Hall's Tavern site. I plan on giving them a call and see what comes up. I have also got a arial photo of the plot showing the tavern and surrounding field.
I whent out yesterday on a five mile trek back through the woods to an old home site here behind my house. Nothing left but an old stone chimney. Searched for about three hours in neck high thorns with a machete and came up with nothong but about five modernday lead bullets and some scrap iron and a bunch of scratches. Good practice though..................I guess. Man it was HOT. When did you last try to contact Xroads for permission? Thanks for the info on 360 / Laburnham, if you want to hit it again let me know. I have plenty of free time since I've been laid off since June 4th.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
curtis, you are a better man than me. If it was Spring, I may trudge through some heavy underbrush, but not in this heat! haha! I used to do enough of that in my archaeologist days...I guess I have grown soft now! Let me know what XRoads LLC says. I sent them a letter a couple weeks back, but haven't heard back from them. I really think the area would be promising considering the history. I may take a weedeater out to the old shopping center I mentioned earlier sometime. If I do and it looks promising, I will definitely let you know. I also was up at my grandma's who lives right by the shopping center I was speaking of and the guy cutting the grass of her neighbors came over when I was detecting and told me I could come detect where he lives, which is right at the Meadowbridge 295 exit in Mechanicsville. He says it supposedly had some Civil War history, so when I see him again, I will see about going down. If I do, I will let you know.

OP
OP
curtismstang

curtismstang

Jun 30, 2008
Louisa County, VA
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
Philvis, Thanks, I will keep you informed of any info I might get. Good luck with the Mechanicsville area. I really can't find much CW history around me, except Fredrics Hall, which was a CW munitions depot. I'm trying some land areas around the railroad beds to find some prospective owners. I really don't mind the heat and am kind of used to it with working construction. If you would like the address again for Xroads I can sent it to you.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Just got back from digging in the backyard for about 45 minutes or so. Found 5 or 6 pull tabs and couple other junk metal items. I found YET another penny. I swear that this Tejon is adjusted to find pennies as that is all I pull from the backyard. I also found a key I ran over with the lawn mower nearly 2 years back and another fired bullet, bringing my total to three now. The bullet is definitely a little different as it appears to have made a head on impact with something. The inside also looks like there is a plug in it or something like that. The 2nd pic is of the bullet beside another one I found for size comparisons.

Attachments

• CIMG0720.JPG
    CIMG0720.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 437
  • CIMG0736.JPG
    CIMG0736.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 449
OP
OP
curtismstang

curtismstang

Jun 30, 2008
Louisa County, VA
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
Philvis, not bad for 45 minutes, wish I could find a bullet in my yard, nothing but old nails and washers. Oh, I did find a shell casing from a 25/06 rifle, don't know where that came from, it was down about 6 inches. I'm sending of the letter to XRoads LLC tommorrow, hope to hear something soon. I willl keep you informed. Meanwhile I will try and send the arial view photo of the Hall's Tavern plot. Looks good.

Attachments

• Hall\'s Tavern Plot.jpg
    Hall\'s Tavern Plot.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 446

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
curtis, if you get the opportunity for Hall's Tavern, try coordinate your search near the house first, especially around where the porch would have been and then by those larger trees that seem to be on the aerial map. For old coins, that will be the place to hit. For relics, everywhere else will be primo. Thanks for the aerial. It does look to be a good place. You may want to go and check out the place this weekend if you can. If the tavern is moved, as it should be, and you don't see any no trespassing signs, it may be worthwhile to poke around.

I asked on a different topic area about the bullet I found and apparently it is a .577 Enfield with a boxwood plug on the inside. One of the members said the plugs were put inside to keep the bullet from malforming and it made it more accurate. Apparently it isn't very common for them to still be in a fired round, so today wasn't such a bad day for hunting.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Philvis said:
Just got back from digging in the backyard for about 45 minutes or so. Found 5 or 6 pull tabs and couple other junk metal items. I found YET another penny. I swear that this Tejon is adjusted to find pennies as that is all I pull from the backyard. I also found a key I ran over with the lawn mower nearly 2 years back and another fired bullet, bringing my total to three now. The bullet is definitely a little different as it appears to have made a head on impact with something. The inside also looks like there is a plug in it or something like that. The 2nd pic is of the bullet beside another one I found for size comparisons.

That bullet with the plug is a CW Enfield. They had wooden plugs in them.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70
This rain sure will make digging a piece of cake. I don't think I want to venture in the woods this time of year with the heat. Man, how do you do it? I am off today and may take a drive to see what possible locations may be available to hunt. Philvis, the shopping center sounds good. I hunted one location close to there 2 years ago and found several buttons, but got there too late. Timing is so important. Curtis, that chimney area sounds like a lot of fun to explore. I went to a place in NC that sounds like the same conditions. I thought if only I had a bulldozer to remove the briers..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread