The West Village

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I was hoping that someone would be able to help definitively provide more information on this button I found the other day. It's in pretty good condition with full shank, about the diameter of a quarter, with the letters NHDVS on the front. The back says 'Steele & Johnson, Waterbury CT'. I think that NHDVS stands for National Home for Disabled Veteran Soldiers. If so, I'm guessing that this dates to the post-CW era. Interestingly I found this in a field within shouting distance of a VA med center, although not on VA grounds. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for looking

photo(2).JPG photo(1).JPG

Upvote 1

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Nice find The West Village. You might find this interesting...
The Letters on your Button- NHDVS -stands for: National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers. It was created in March 1865 to care for the sick and injured volunteer Civil War Soldiers and continued to care for them into the 1900s until they began to die from old age but then they also were authorized by Congress to care for the Volunteer soldiers during WWI. The NHDVS was finally absorbed with a couple other organizations into the Veterans Administration in 1930.. We find them often here in Virginia due to the large convalescent Civil War soldier population we had here.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking button, first I've seen posted here, so I'm guessing it's pretty scarce!

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen this button before @ a Civil War shop in Stafford.. I will ask the owner of the shop tomorrow for more info!

HighFlyer

Mar 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1858 - 1875. Nice.

I just found this exact same button myself. I don't think these dates are correct. Lincoln signed into law the creation of the National Asylum for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers in 1865. The "Asylum" was changed to "Home" in 1873. So I would say this button would be 1873 at the earliest and around 1930 at the latest (the VA was created in 1930). Very cool find. Your button is in much better shape than mine. Mine has been squished flat and one of the letters on the front is very hard to make out. Mine has the same marks on the back.

National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread