JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone,

Getting to be that time of yr again. Starting to thaw now and getting out here and there. Was having problems with my equiptment over the past couple months. And I was not able to determine the problem with the weather conditions.

I was able to get to the bottom of things and now the finds are being found again. Coil needed rebuilt the 1400. Also my headphones killer b's needed serviced. Took the fixed equiptment out and found 8 nice old coins last week in a hr and a half.

I was very happy to be pulling old coins again. I was going out and only coming home with like one old coin. I knew something wasn't right. Unit was very unstable and headphones were cutting out all the time. Man I wonder how many good signals I didn't here.

However inbetween the problems I was still able to sqeeze a few finds here and there. I'm back and ready to have a good yr hopefully.

I wanted to know if any of you guys could put a I.D on this token/coin. It is about half dollar in size. Looks like it's copper. It says on the front Constituted April 30 1888. At the bottom it says One Penny. Now for the back side.It says Pittsburgh R.A Chapter No 268 Pittsburgh P.a.

I have no idea other than it may have been for a organization or something like that. Maybe someone out there can shed some light. I'd really appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Other than that just your normal old coins. Wheats, indians, war nickles one nice 41 washington. Got some nice relics and a old railroad lock dated 1878.

Thanks for looking. Sorry the pics aren't the best. I'm pressed for time here with the kids off from school and all.

HH Jer

Attachments

• first spring finds 002.jpg
    first spring finds 002.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 733
  • first spring finds 004.jpg
    first spring finds 004.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 755
  • first spring finds 2.jpg
    first spring finds 2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 792
  • first spring finds 013.jpg
    first spring finds 013.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 772
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot guys.

MM, What lock would you like to see top right or lower. The one on the bottom is broken. It says 1902 on the front. The other is a RR lock made by W Bohanan Brooklynn NY Pat June 25 1878. Serial #78. This is the third time I have found this same lock.

I'm not complaining. I love to find relics like these. Must have been a commom type lock back in the day. A tumbler really cleans them up great.

HH Jer

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Jer.
I'll see you and your Brother next month at Tuscazoar. We'll dig some silver.

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Great finds there today Jer, sign of a real pro. I would be jumping up and down with finds like that. I love the old lock I've found alot of locks but none that nice. I can't help with the Token sorry

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JerDfx said:
Thanks alot guys.

MM, What lock would you like to see top right or lower. The one on the bottom is broken. It says 1902 on the front. The other is a RR lock made by W Bohanan Brooklynn NY Pat June 25 1878. Serial #78. This is the third time I have found this same lock.

I'm not complaining. I love to find relics like these. Must have been a commom type lock back in the day. A tumbler really cleans them up great.

HH Jer

The top right is like the one I found. Mine was by the Eagle Lock Company though. I'd love to find one dated like yours. Awesome!
-MM-

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The 1888 piece is indeed a Masonic "chapter penny," a token belonging to a member of that fraternal order's Royal Arch Chapter No. 268 in Pittsburgh, PA. The date commemorates the chartering of the lodge; the token itself was probably first issued a bit later, and also presented individually as new members joined the lodge over the years. The keystone, mallet, chisel, and equilateral triangle are all familiar symbols of Freemasonry, and the Hebrew letter yod within an equilateral triangle represents the sacred name of the Deity. The letters HTWSSTKS are said to be the mark of the order's ancient Grand Master, and to stand for, "Hiram the widow's son sent to King Solomon." The small space within the lettered circle is reserved for the member's own "mark"— i.e., initial(s) or some other personal symbol. Because of that, a token of this type is also known as a "mark penny."

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot guys.

PBK, Thanks alot for that nice history right up. You are a great asset to this forum. Once again thanks for your time. This is a first for me. Pretty neat token that held up pretty well.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread