mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, hope everyone's doing ok. Made a bank stop after work today to buy some cents. Saw a stack of silver in the teller's tray and asked to buy them. He had no problem selling them to me and said an elderly couple brought them in. They ended up all being silver quarters. The oldest was a 1929 Standing Liberty and the latest was 1964. He also said the same couple brought in rolls of quarters but he had already sold them to customers. I had fantasies of what might have been in those rolls.
He also had rolls of cents in his tray from the same couple. The writing on the rolls probably tells it all but I haven't opened them yet. I did open one unmarked roll and it was all wheats except for a 1962 memorial cent. The oldest in that roll was a 1917-D. I asked if they brought anything else in but he didn't seem to think so.
The teller i spoke with does expect the same couple to come back with more rolls. I'll check back at this bank in a few days and maybe a few days after that. Thanks for reading. Good luck in your searches everyone. It is out there! MM2

Attachments

• DSCN4513.JPG
    DSCN4513.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN4516.JPG
    DSCN4516.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN4518.JPG
    DSCN4518.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 0

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Is there another 1955-DDO in one of those rolls?

BenVA

Sep 16, 2003
SW VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow super nice score.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Nice hit - I hate that wondering...what might have been. Good idea to make the bank a regular stop for a while. Looking forward to a report on the cents.

Maine_Jim

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For me almost five Oz would be a really nice score not just little. It makes you wonder how tellers don't notice the silvers in there trey especially when there was 20ish in a row.

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I need to move out where you guys are. Apparently tellers have no idea about coin collecting, silver coins, commodities, and even better, they aren't required to count money cashed in by customers! All this leads to amazing finds! Crazy that all these old coots take the time to sort and label their rolls... I wish I could find such incredible finds! Simply amazing!

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished the cent rolls. The writing on the rolls was mostly accurate. They were from all 3 mints with the majority from the Denver mint. Makes sense as i was told the couple came from Iowa. Mostly common dates but a couple of scarcer dates mixed in. I saved the oldest roll for last. It had a few 1919-S, a AG 1919-D, a 1911-S that would have graded good but had rim damage. Check out the redbook value for that one even in G-4. Also at least one 1929-D and 1929-S. There were also a couple older Canadian cents in the mix, one a 1933. Still, these were fun rolls to open based on the writing on the rolls. Yinzi, only 1 1955P in the entire batch but plenty of 1955D. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 wheats total.
MaineJim, I'll be heading back to that bank again from time to time as it's not far off my normal commute home. Thanks for all your replies, time to call it a night. MM2

Last edited:

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Love the silver qtrs & extremely rare West Point (W) mint wheats! Lol
Congrats!!!

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished the cent rolls. The writing on the rolls was mostly accurate. They were from all 3 mints with the majority from the Denver mint. Makes sense as i was told the couple came from Iowa. Mostly common dates but a couple of scarcer dates mixed in. I saved the oldest roll for last. It had a few 1919-S, a AG 1919-D, a 1911-S that would have graded good but had rim damage. Check out the redbook value for that one even in G-4. Also at least one 1929-D and 1929-S. There were also a couple older Canadian cents in the mix, one a 1933. Still, these were fun rolls to open based on the writing on the rolls. Yinzi, only 1 1955P in the entire batch but plenty of 1955D. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 wheats total.
MaineJim, I'll be heading back to that bank again from time to time as it's not far off my normal commute home. Thanks for all your replies, time to call it a night. MM2
Aren't you glad that there is no smarta$$ in your town trying to educate tellers about silver? Good for you!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job there MM, you've had some great finds this year! HH, Maverick.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM2, awesome score, best of luck getting more!! Thanks for sharing
hh
buff

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Hi Mountainman2,
Great score. Glad to see you and Maine_Jim show all the younger members that...It's still
out there." Hope you didn't have much damage from Hurricane Sandy. Where I grew up
on the Jersey shore...they got blasted. I still can't believe the photos on you-tube.
Stay well ole'timer and congrats again.
rileyboy and Riley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread