nice olive jar rim while metal detecting 1715

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While metal detecting a local 1715 fleet beach today something nice popped out of the side of my hole.

ForumRunner_20130609_181434.png

ForumRunner_20130609_181853.png

ForumRunner_20130609_182210.png

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.. the odds of doing that baffle me.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I Like it!!!

chase-1z.jpg

Don't know why but never found ceramics in 45 years of 1715 beach detecting mostly during storm season. Of course, I missed the big one on Turkey Day 1984 due to a family reunion; and another one in the early 90's. However, in 1971 or 72, I found the fossilized joint of a human leg bone--about 2-inches including the joint. It came from the beach, opposite the woods just north of the Real Eight Cabin, where the museum now exists. I saved it thinking possibilities that it may be evidence of a shipwreck victim. Of course after the hurricane in about 2006, I was there again and saw the remains of the washed out black dirt midden washing onto the beach, a bit north of the museum. Now, I think it came from theer and most likely is prehistoric.
Never have found a spanish coin on a 1715 beach as of yet, but in old days I used a Relco TR, then a Bounty Hunter BFO. Later years, a White's VLF; then a Garrett; a Fisher and now, Minelabs and a Tesoro Tejon. Think my chances are much better now with today's selection, but am undecided as what Minelab would be best. When using the Excalibur 1000, I'm thinking I should be using the Explorer instead. And once, when using the Explorer, thinking maybe I should have brought the Excaliber. Hmmm... perplexing.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm.. LOL.
I remember each of the erosion events you spoke of as each was a big swell for avid surfers like I was then.. I still remember finding my first 1715 cobb after the Thanksgiving day swell.."88" I think and the monster Halloween swell of "91" was also very good.
I actually eyeballed it before I swung my detector over it.

reef_road_christmas_swell_89.jpeg

Palm beach Christmas "89"
Another good one!

Last edited:

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That is an amazing find. Congratulations on a great day, job well done! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.
Here is a couple whole ones

091712-055.jpeg

ForumRunner_20130610_132151.png

from the same wreck.

VERODIGDUG

May 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's like a 20' face! Is that you on the bottom turn?!
Haven't been on a wave like that in years! Seems like we have more in common than md'ing and being neighbors! Haha
Very cool find as well. Saw it on the blogspot today. Saw your cob on there last week as well.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha..hey bro ..that's my buddy Rich on that one.
I was somewhere over the back of that beast.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Gatorboy, I remember both of those swells vividly! At the time I did not metal detect, but I sure took advantage of those swells at Reef Road! Some of the best I have ridden in Florida. It reminded me of being back home in Hawaii! Thanks for the pic and the memories!!

Hmmmm.. LOL.
I remember each of the erosion events you spoke of as each was a big swell for avid surfers like I was then.. I still remember finding my first 1715 cobb after the Thanksgiving day swell.."88" I think and the monster Halloween swell of "91" was also very good.
I actually eyeballed it before I swung my detector over it.

View attachment 811287

Palm beach Christmas "89"
Another good one!

VERODIGDUG

May 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to live in Hawaii too!
Haven't surfed in about 8 months since I had a full rupture of my achilies tendon. That's actually how I got into md'ing. My dr told me to walk on the beach for rehab so I figured might as well try and find some col stuff while walking.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thinking.. I rehabbed a knee injury by wading the grass flats fishing.
Worked great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread