Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Met up with a Relic hunting buddy of mine and decided to take advantage of the nice weather.
Used the XP Deus on 12Khz and had a great day.
Ended up digging some bullets, buttons, and a few other interesting items.
DSC03033.JPG
A nice complete 2 piece Civil War General Service button with shank and Waterbury Backmark. After about the 4th or 5th bullet I assumed it was another Minnie ball.
DSC03036.JPG DSC03037.JPG
A nice Anchor and Rope Flat Button with shank Treble Gilt T&D Backmark. Im assuming this is British War of 1812 Era. Please Advise.
REVISED: British Royal Navy worn between 1774 and 1787 by Captain/Commander, Master, Surgeon, Purser,
Warrant Officer and Midshipman (H T & D Back mark) Hammond Turner & Dickinson of Birmingham.

DSC03040.JPG DSC03043.JPG
This really interesting copper/brass ring with a heart in the middle and an upside down anchor on each side. This was deep dirty and green when cleaned. I found this near where the GS button and minnies were found. Could this be Civil War Era.??? Any idea what the heart and upside down anchors mean.?? Please advise.

DSC03044.JPG DSC03048.JPG
The Lead. 7 minnies and 2 smaller pieces. 2 were flattened and were found very close to each other, another one looks sliced in half and has another slice in its side.
DSC03034.JPG
A few strange objects A tack, a grommet, one curved whatsit, and a strange brass item that is maybe a winder for a pocketwatch. Any help on these items would be appreciated.
DSC03049.JPG DSC03050.JPG
My buddy found this and we believe it might be a buckle or boxplate. It is brass and is about the right size, but it is beat to hell. The strange thing is that it seems hollow in the center.
If anyone knows what this is and recognizes it please advise.

IMG_20150914_143402_033.jpg IMG_20150914_143413_026.jpg IMG_20150914_143426_920.jpg
If anyone recognizes any of these items and cares to offer an id please do.
Thanks for looking.
REVISED: Part of Cavalry Shoulder Scales.

Last edited:
Upvote 15

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great group of finds. I like the flattened Minnie balls and that ring. The last item looks like part of CW Calvary shoulder scales. I found some this spring... Also beat up pretty bad.
M0884A.JPG

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wicked finds bone! And yes, that looks like a cavalry shoulder scales piece, very cool ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442283622.183251.jpg

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aaah! Outdoor, you beat me lol

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Hunt BP,
Looks like you had alot of fun!
Love the anchor button.
Do I see a 12 on that ring?

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great group of finds. I like the flattened Minnie balls and that ring. The last item looks like part of CW Calvary shoulder scales. I found some this spring... Also beat up pretty bad.
Thanks for looking and the id Outdoor adv. That looks like it to me.

Wicked finds bone! And yes, that looks like a cavalry shoulder scales piece, very cool
Thanks for looking and for the id. Had a good day. Better late than never...:laughing7:

Great Hunt BP,
Looks like you had alot of fun!
Does kinda look like a 12 on that ring.
Love the anchor button.
Do I see a 12 on that ring?
Thanks for looking George.
Had a BLAST Today....
Remember what I said. /The offer still stands. :laughing7:
Oh and that does look like a 12 on that ring, maybe....:dontknow:
Nice collection of CW relics!
Thanks Vmairpower. Got a little variety today.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one item is a keywind pocket watch key. Nice finds and a great hunt. Congrats.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking anchor button and watch winder, congrats on the other finds as well.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done BP! The watch winder and the ring are really cool.

very nice set of military relics too. Best of luck to you!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Bonepicker
Your Bud Def, Dug the Outer end piece of an Epaulette Shoulder Scales.( I never found any before).
Very nice GS Button.
Watch key is Cool (Crazy but I never dug one of those either.
No Doubt on the Minnies this time. The one Cut in Half Is Cool as Heck , Ill take them Carved ,Cut ,Sliced, Etc.

That Navy Button is the BOMB. Great Detail on the Front.
Looking at my Albert's "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons "
I can not find an exact match to yours ,Some are Close ( like NA 17 B) back mark = ''**Treble**/Gilt'' & with a 17 mm measurement. but The Face is not an Exact match ,Heck all the NA 17's "A ,B, C & D " have a Similar Face , Most others pictured are in a circular lined field, or having some sort of Rope Border.
This is a Book from 1976 but the #'s are still used by a majority of Button Collectors , "Tice" also has a good Ref, book but I don't own that one.
Your button could be in that book.
I'm no Button Expert BY FAR ,LOL
But
The One Piece & Treble/Gilt Back Mark tells me it's an Old "Nice" Button.

A great Hunt indeed.
Davers

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bonepicker, something else to add about those shoulder scales. I found a few pieces of brass that looks like this
IMG_20150628_164735641_HDR.jpg

It took me a few hunts to realize that they went to the bottom piece that I had found months prior.
IMG_20150628_165626513.jpg

They weren't too far from where I found the bottom piece, but I had mistaken them for scrap brass for a while.

You and your buddy should keep an eye out for those scale pieces. Chances are there are some within the vicinity of where your buddy found the bottom piece. Mine was plow destroyed, so they were a bit scattered.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah Bonepicker
Your Bud Def, Dug the Outer end piece of an Epaulette Shoulder Scales.( I never found any before).
Very nice GS Button.
Watch key is Cool (Crazy but I never dug one of those either.
No Doubt on the Minnies this time. The one Cut in Half Is Cool as Heck , Ill take them Carved ,Cut ,Sliced, Etc.

That Navy Button is the BOMB. Great Detail on the Front.
Looking at my Albert's "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons "
I can not find an exact match to yours ,Some are Close ( like NA 17 B) back mark = ''**Treble**/Gilt'' & with a 17 mm measurement. but The Face is not an Exact match ,Heck all the NA 17's "A ,B, C & D " have a Similar Face , Most others pictured are in a circular lined field, or having some sort of Rope Border.
This is a Book from 1976 but the #'s are still used by a majority of Button Collectors , "Tice" also has a good Ref, book but I don't own that one.
Your button could be in that book.
I'm no Button Expert BY FAR ,LOL
But
The One Piece & Treble/Gilt Back Mark tells me it's an Old "Nice" Button.

A great Hunt indeed.
Davers
Thanks Davers. I have only seen pictures of an epaulette, and when he dug it we didn't know what it was because it was missing the scales. We just assumed it might be a buckle because it was brass and a similar shape and size.
That GS button was toasted when I dug it, moreso than the others I found, and didn't think I could save it, but it turned out pretty decent after a little dry toothpicking and a light mineral oil swab. Thought I had it nice and clean, but the oil brought out a little more crust. Overall its in great shape though.
That watch key/crank was black when I dug it, wasn't sure what I had at first, but I thought it looked familiar, unfortunately the small ring broke off, as you can see in the photos. Wheres the watch, lol....
The minnies are cool too. Wonder how that one got cut and who was flattening them out and why?? I just got the M&M book and there is a pic in it of a Minnie that was flattened and someone carved a skull on it.. Cool beans, too bad those two aren't carved.
That navy button is my favorite and my first navy button. I own Tices book, and could not find it in there. I need to get alberts as seems like most use that one and its less expensive. 1 book at a time.
The navy button was found in a different area where some war of 1812 items have been found. My buddy found a british artillery button close by a while back (the one with 3 cannons stacked ontop of each other).
Because we have found british war of 1812 items nearby, and the navy button is a flat button, im assuming the navy button might be british 1812 era.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bonepicker, something else to add about those shoulder scales. I found a few pieces of brass that looks like this
View attachment 1211472

It took me a few hunts to realize that they went to the bottom piece that I had found months prior.
View attachment 1211473

They weren't too far from where I found the bottom piece, but I had mistaken them for scrap brass for a while.

You and your buddy should keep an eye out for those scale pieces. Chances are there are some within the vicinity of where your buddy found the bottom piece. Mine was plow destroyed, so they were a bit scattered.
Thanks Outdoor Adv. Glad you sent those additional pics. If we had found those scales individually we wouldn't have known what they were.
I just cut and paste those pics to my buddy. We will be on the lookout.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking anchor button and watch winder, congrats on the other finds as well.
Thanks PepperJ. I love the Navy button and the watch winder was neat too. I have to assume it is period since it was found in the same area as most of the other finds. Didn't really find much modern at this spot. Now where is the watch, lol.

Well done BP! The watch winder and the ring are really cool.

very nice set of military relics too. Best of luck to you!
Thanks Tom. I really want to believe the ring might be CW Era, but it doesn't seem like it.
It was deep and crusty like it had been there for a long time. We didn't find many modern items there.
Cant wait to get back.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Davers. I have only seen pictures of an epaulette, and when he dug it we didn't know what it was because it was missing the scales. We just assumed it might be a buckle because it was brass and a similar shape and size.
That GS button was toasted when I dug it, moreso than the others I found, and didn't think I could save it, but it turned out pretty decent after a little dry toothpicking and a light mineral oil swab. Thought I had it nice and clean, but the oil brought out a little more crust. Overall its in great shape though.
That watch key/crank was black when I dug it, wasn't sure what I had at first, but I thought it looked familiar, unfortunately the small ring broke off, as you can see in the photos. Wheres the watch, lol....
The minnies are cool too. Wonder how that one got cut and who was flattening them out and why?? I just got the M&M book and there is a pic in it of a Minnie that was flattened and someone carved a skull on it.. Cool beans, too bad those two aren't carved.
That navy button is my favorite and my first navy button. I own Tices book, and could not find it in there. I need to get alberts as seems like most use that one and its less expensive. 1 book at a time.
The navy button was found in a different area where some war of 1812 items have been found. My buddy found a british artillery button close by a while back (the one with 3 cannons stacked ontop of each other).
Because we have found british war of 1812 items nearby, and the navy button is a flat button, im assuming the navy button might be british 1812 era.

Your Navy or Marine ??? button (likely 90% navy) Albert's book has a caption that says 'Some sources say that the Early Marines used That Design. 'Never Know'???
Trying to say I think it's Cool that it's Not in either Book, Maybe Real Rare.-Hopefully.
Wanted the Tice Book but like you said to much $ Esp, for a N GA Guy who only finds a Few GS Buttons a Year , Maybe a
NY, or Staff Officer if I'm lucky.

Congratz on your Finds , MM Book it's a Good one.
GottaRun.
Davers

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting