Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Met up with a Relic hunting buddy of mine and decided to take advantage of the nice weather.
Used the XP Deus on 12Khz and had a great day.
Ended up digging some bullets, buttons, and a few other interesting items.
DSC03033.JPG
A nice complete 2 piece Civil War General Service button with shank and Waterbury Backmark. After about the 4th or 5th bullet I assumed it was another Minnie ball.
DSC03036.JPG DSC03037.JPG
A nice Anchor and Rope Flat Button with shank Treble Gilt T&D Backmark. Im assuming this is British War of 1812 Era. Please Advise.
REVISED: British Royal Navy worn between 1774 and 1787 by Captain/Commander, Master, Surgeon, Purser,
Warrant Officer and Midshipman (H T & D Back mark) Hammond Turner & Dickinson of Birmingham.

DSC03040.JPG DSC03043.JPG
This really interesting copper/brass ring with a heart in the middle and an upside down anchor on each side. This was deep dirty and green when cleaned. I found this near where the GS button and minnies were found. Could this be Civil War Era.??? Any idea what the heart and upside down anchors mean.?? Please advise.

DSC03044.JPG DSC03048.JPG
The Lead. 7 minnies and 2 smaller pieces. 2 were flattened and were found very close to each other, another one looks sliced in half and has another slice in its side.
DSC03034.JPG
A few strange objects A tack, a grommet, one curved whatsit, and a strange brass item that is maybe a winder for a pocketwatch. Any help on these items would be appreciated.
DSC03049.JPG DSC03050.JPG
My buddy found this and we believe it might be a buckle or boxplate. It is brass and is about the right size, but it is beat to hell. The strange thing is that it seems hollow in the center.
If anyone knows what this is and recognizes it please advise.

IMG_20150914_143402_033.jpg IMG_20150914_143413_026.jpg IMG_20150914_143426_920.jpg
If anyone recognizes any of these items and cares to offer an id please do.
Thanks for looking.
REVISED: Part of Cavalry Shoulder Scales.

Last edited:
Upvote 15

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Bonepicker-

Here's a bit more information about your button, and yes as you suspected, it is a British naval button:

In 1774 a foul anchor surrounded by rope edging took the place of the rose and in 1787 the same device with the addition of a wreath of laurel leaves was adopted for Admirals. When the Merchant Navy started to use the foul anchor device, a crown was added for all naval officers in 1812. Given the simplicity of the fouled anchor on yours' and the general construction, I would say its an RN officer's button that dates between 1774-1807 (suspect on the later side due to the presence of a benchmark). There are a few examples of your button displayed here Navy buttons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Vmiairpwr07. Thanks for providing that neat site and taking the time to verify it is British Royal Navy.
I just did some digging on the backmark that I thought said T&D and I came up with a little more info.
I think my backmark actually says H T & D. Hammond Turner & Dickinson which is a Birmingham manufacturer that might have existed as early as 1717 per this site.
Hammond-Turner.com - Naval buttons Note the 2nd and 3rd pic down looks very similar to mine.
66-back-htd.jpg Image 2
Backmark is unique in my collection, HT&D TREBLE GILT
And yes, it really is incredibly hard to read

66-front.jpg
Image 3 Front of button above
Very similar to one of Diana's but different to all of them in that rope goes the opposite way around the anchor
Assuming it is the one it most closely resembles, it was worn between 1774 and 1787 by Captain/Commander, Master, Surgeon, Purser,
Warrant Officer and Midshipman
According to this site the button is 18th century which is awesome because that will be my oldest known find and means I might have finally broke into the 1700's.. :headbang:

Last edited:

coastal_digger

Greenie
Aug 29, 2015
Detector(s) used
Fisher new Gold Bug, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher CZ-5, Tesoro Cortes. Garrett Propointer and Tinytec pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More great finds, especially like the Royal Navy button, and watch key :thumbsup: And would be really cool if you are able to find more portions of the shoulder scale on future outings :happysmiley: (Random info lol~These were reserved for full dress, and in addition to cavalry, were also worn by the other service branches).

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice relics - great saves!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SEPT 14 IS MY BIRTHDAY AND I WILL BRAG IF I WANT TO , BRAG IF I WANT TOO AND THESE FINDS MAKE THE DAY COMPLETE. NICE ONES PICKER......

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt,, with the way those anchors are positioned on that ring,, I would say it is a Navel Ring,,, lol
At first thought I thought navy ring too, but now im uncertain.
I searched the web "ring with heart and two upside down anchors", and found that anchors and hearts are commonly found together in some designs. Web said something like the heart represents love, and the anchors represent tieing down or anchoring. So kinda the heart is tied down to a particular person, place or thing.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The ring looks like a "twin heart ring" and they date from the mid 1800s. I found a silver one in this post here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...plate-seated-dime-antebellum-silver-ring.html

I think that's a fantastic find.

Congrats on the rest. Some really great stuff there!
Thanks Buck. Nice ring. I hope mine is from that era, it was definitely in the right spot for it. Its nice to have a lil positive reinforcement on the ID.
That sucker was deep and crusty, and looks to show some considerable age and wear.
I just pulled it out and im almost certain its just one heart with 2 anchors, but it does look like the same style design as yours. Too bad mine isn't silver.
The only thing that has me guessing is ive seen some modern cheap rings with a similar design to mine in the past, but mine sure looks oldddddd.
Nice finds btw, sure would like to meet up with you guys one day. Yall look like you have fun, and yall always make some great finds in those canefields.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Thanks for sharing. I like the anchor button. I got one as well recently that I should post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions