Nice silver quarter that shocked me!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I was shocked because I found it it an area of a large park near me that didn't seem to have a high percentage of holding good targets at all, just a grassy area near 2 walkways that lead to a picnic pavilion and a small body of water...areas I have covered pretty well because these are more common areas people tend to gravitate to and hang out.

In this area just covering it pretty fast with the F70 and big DD coil because I didn't have a ton of time I expected very little because this is just an area I never thought people would sit around and hang out or even walk over much because those sidewalks were there.
I was wrong.
I found a bunch of trash like old flattened rusty pop tops galore, several beaver tail tabs, some foil and some more modern trash like can slaw and a few sta-tabs, also.
Much more than I would have thought, and I just hit this area out of curiosity because I never really targeted it before even though it is sort of near a picnic pavilion I have covered well.
The goal was jewelry...gold jewelry to be precise, but when I got a quarter signal and bent over to dig a normal dirty modern clad quarter and this thing popped out of the hole instead I was rocked back on my heels for a second.

This park was dedicated in 1964 so silver is possible and I have found it a few times but in totally different areas not really near here...this park I consider better for hunting jewelry and that was the goal for this hunt.
Now I have a new area to concentrate on and look for more silver coins but jewelry is a definite possibility and could be hiding among the trash.

When you see grass or soil don't assume...run a coil over it just to be sure because you never know what might have went on in the past.

Attachments

• silver front.jpg
    silver front.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 89
  • silver back.jpg
    silver back.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 4

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1964. You just made it. Great find.

It's in great shape. And, you're right. You never know until you dig that hole. You can't prejudge or assume anything.
Congrats.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent shape! When the feet on obverse are not warn! Beautiful find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread