Nickel Tri-fecta today

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't post a whole lot of my finds, but today was decent day for me and I know that 75% of use are going crazy waiting for the ground to thaw, so I wanted to bring a little excitement into everyone's life. lol.

I got out today and did more than just kick a little dirt. First time in 3 weeks i was able to commit get myself a little dirty. I went to two places right down the road from one another. The first place I must have detected 7-8 times with 2 different machines in the past and didn't really expect to find anything. I was using the Deus with 13" coil and I played around and was able to tighten up some of the signals.

I found a 1906 V nickel a Buffalo nickel and also one Wheat cent. Amazingly this is the first wheat I have dug on this lot, but in the past I've found a silver spoon, two silver dimes 2 older Jefferson nickels and a dateless V nickel. I think the Buffalo from today is a 1913 because the Buffalo is standing on a mound. I can just almost make a date out of it.

Other than that, I went back to a sidewalk that I've detected hard with my CTX and found this 1946 Jefferson nickel and a memorial/wheat penny spill at 8 inches. Total it was 4 wheats and 4 memorials. I have no idea how I missed it before. I think the Deus just tightens up some of the signals that the CTX doesn't quite lock on.

I'm amazed at our weather. We had 20 degree temperatures last week and next Tuesday we have a high of 70 degrees. Anyway good luck to everyone.

20150226_195229_resized.jpg

Upvote 12

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice trifecta, love them V nickels!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park pirate knows those nickels! Great hunt pointman, different day, different conditions. Maybe iron content just in the soil. I by far feel like if there is a good target my deus is going to lock on it. As long as I have it set up right.

I bet that felt good!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great nickel find X 3! Congrats!

That's soothing for the treasure soul. The ton of snow will have to melt first before the ground can thaw......Aug?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice. I love nickels since a lot of detectorists ignore the signal. I found 7 war nicks last year with my T2. What did those show for CoFe on your CTX?

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want say they were reading in the 60s. With the V nickel, I walked past it a few times before I dug and it was a very solid hit. I think I missed them with the CTX because I relied too much on the readings and may have thought it was trash. I'm not sure how I missed the copper spill with the CTX.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Park pirate knows those nickels! Great hunt pointman, different day, different conditions. Maybe iron content just in the soil. I by far feel like if there is a good target my deus is going to lock on it. As long as I have it set up right.

I bet that felt good!

I noticed you haven't had the CTX. Did you trade it off and got the Deus?

I think I prefer the Deus myself over the rest of my machines. If it were more rugged and waterproof, I would be completely sold, so to speak.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea how I missed it before. I think the Deus just tightens up some of the signals that the CTX doesn't quite lock on.

I just love catching one type of coin across several generations. Really is kind of special! WTG

About the missing from before? You really need to stop thinking according to the way that advertisers want you to think. That is, upgrade, better, more money, more money.

A simple zig instead of a zag, even after many times there could explain a "miss". Not to mention conditions. Like a coin that was on edge and has been turned more flat due to the ground changing, or a small piece of iron finally rusting completely thru, or air interference being different, or someone who was skimming and moved a piece of can that was masking, or maybe a piece of foil finally rinsed/blew off the spot, or, or, or, etc. ;) LOL

Not even mentioning the fact that each time we go out, we go out with more experience than we had the last time.

Could it have been the machine(s)? Well, sure! But that's ONLY one aspect.

Nice tri-fecta!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Pointman. Nice trifecta. Glad that were able to get out a bit. The weather here in NC has not been cooperating me. It is almost (all moist) over though... come on springtime! GL&HH.

Roadrunner007

Feb 23, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQUINOX 800 BHID300, Spectra V3i, TDI Pro, 6000Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score on the Nickels

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congratulations on the the nickles and the wheats, glad to see that you made it out, we are snowed in again, HA! it would be really nice if the deus was waterproof, I am loving mine and I'm guessing that you like that bigger coil. Crusader loves his 11 inch coil, had me wondering if he would eventually get the 13

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds PM! The last find of 2014 was an 1899 V for me. I like finding nickels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread