Nickles

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, Whites TDI beachhunter
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this but...Here it goes.

This is just a general observation being a new to the hobby.
I've noticed that we can find quarters, dimes, and pennies very easily, but I have noticed the we have only found one nickle in all our hunts (clad or otherwise). Is it something I'm doing wrong or are they just not out there. I would think Nickles would be very popular. Now we generally still dig everything just because My kids like to find whatever beeps on the MD.

Has anyone else noticed this or have any pointers for me ???
I'm really just more curious than anything.

Thanks 3searchin

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
How much discrimination are you using? If you've got your detector set to eliminate pulltabs (and you're not using notch discrimination), then it's going to miss the nickels and most gold rings, too. Try a lower setting and see what happens. Sure, you'll dig more junk... but if the tabs aren't super-bad in the areas you're hunting, stick with it and you'll soon start finding those nickels and maybe a few rings, too! ;)

OP
OP
3searchin

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
I'm using an XLT and the preset programs for coins and Jewelry setting. I haven't adjusted any settings manually yet.

I do find plenty of pulltabs and some pieces of aluminum cans give me a nickel reading also.
I have found one Jefferson nickel and one shield nickel but the ratio to other coins is very low.

I'm not sure what notch discrimination is ??

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
3searchin said:
I'm not sure what notch discrimination is ??

Notch discrimination allows targets both above and below a certain conductivity "notch" or "window" to be detected— for example, setting your detector to accept nickels, reject pulltabs, and accept pennies, dimes, quarters, etc. Pulltabs would be in the "notch" of rejection.

Of course, your XLT has all sorts of discrimination programming and editing options.

OP
OP
3searchin

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
I haven't played with the settings at all. I've just been using the presets.

Should I try adjusting the discrimination?? I'm not really certain about what will help and what will hurt my hunting efforts. I guess I should re-watch the video again. The booklet isn't all that much help there's not enough detail.

Thanks for your help and comments in an effort to help a newbie out....

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Wish I could be of more help, but I just thought too much discrimination might be the problem.

If the video and manual don't seem to answer your questions, then probably your best bet would be to ask other XLT users here on the forum.

There are also XLT forums on the net, so you might want to try a Google search for those.

Best of luck, and I'll look forward to your future posts and finds!

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
I have an XLT, I also had the posed the same question when I first got started. The nickels do have a weaker signal but the standard coin/jewelry program will pick them up. It seemed that right after I asked about nickels I started finding more of them, I think for some reason the ratio for nickels is lower. Having found a shield nickel there's nothing wrong with your XLT....like realestate it's just location, location, location.
Happy Hunting. Dan

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure your XLT is accepting 17 to 20 and you'll find some.

HH!
TBGO

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
I find alot of nickles, got 20 about 2 weeks ago at the beach an on the mud flats at low tide, yes there is alot of trash, but with the minelab I can tell by the sound if its a pull tab or a nickle MOST times, I would say there are just as many as other coins,just most people pass them by not wanting to dig a pull tab

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
Nickels can give me a LOT of different reading on my number display. I have had them hit as low as an 18 and as high as a 38, my normal number for jefferson nickels is 25-27. Most of the time 18-20 is foil but I found a nickel that was almost edge up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread