Nickles!

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You may not think this is not as exciting as swinging a coil, but I go through a roll of nickles every day. My goal is to fill one of those Harris folders up, three of them actually with ALL the Jefferson nickles. I guess I've gone through 1000s of nickles and it's surprising how few nickles before 1964 are still in circulation. But I must admit, I find just as much joy in locating an old Jefferson as I do in finding a 2004 or what has been the elusive 2005...at least it was elusive until today.

I found a few 2004Ps that I didn't need so I gave them to a pal and explained that I still hadn't found any 2005s. In this very roll I found two 2005s and one 1948! My heart just jumps a little when I find an old date or one that I need. That must be how it feels to have a silver coin while your coinshooting!

Just thought I'd share.

Upvote 0
T

T-Rex

they've been hoarded up... when was the last time you've gotten anything other than a penny pre-64 back in change?

when I was about 12 or so, (28+ years ago) my grandfather was a barber, cut all the old-timers hair in town, he used to go thru his register everyday and pluck out the silver apart from the rest... I distinctly remember seeing quite a few Franklins and remember seeing a couple walking liberty's... (that's what the old timers paid with haircut and shave I think was $1.50) I remember him showing me how you could tell the silver apart from the clad... didn't mean diddly squat to me then since a silver quarter bought the same scooter crunch as the clad one at the store...

T

T-Rex

allen said:
actually just yesterday i got a 1944d, a 1951 d and a 1954 p and a 1957 p all in change at different places here in shelby county, ky. they are still a few out there. good luck on completing your sets.

sounds like Jr. may have raided Daddy's coin collection...

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio
I do that too! and it is very fun, i get my rolls from the bank and i give em like 20 bucks, and they give me 20 bucks back in pennies, also i do pennies not nicks,! funny we do the same thing! HH CS

P

PrizmIV

Last week I found a war nickle and a 1950 dime in change and also two wheats.

T

T-Rex

allen said:
but, got to of those nickles at wal mart, one at subway and way in change at a citgo gas store. So im not sure if it was daddies collection, but never can tell.....

junior must get around... :D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I started checking my change a couple of months ago I have only found a 1961 Quarter and 1944 wheat...or vise versa, got 'em put away and haven't looked in a while. JIM

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all are lucky for a little over a year of checking change I have only found 2 or 3 1965 quarters and lots of wheat's. No silver at all none I must have over looked some. Now I am going to go after rolls of nickles for war nickles and dimes for silver Roosevelt's and Mercs. Quarters for Standing Libs. This is best to do in real hot weather and or real cold weather when swinging your detector or digging is to hard.

OH, Don't forget the Fifty Cent Pieces 1964-1970 40% silver with some higher. My friend went to the bank and ended up with 9 BU Rolls of 1965-1969 Kennedy Half's sold half for $40.00 a roll paid $10.00 a roll at bank.

Keep Searching and HH!!

Attachments

• silverbars.jpg
    silverbars.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 113
  • silverbars.jpg
    silverbars.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 117

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread