NIFC halves... what do you do?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you do with your NIFC halves? Sell them? Save all you get? mark them and release them? just release them? save a roll of each year/mint mark?

Just curious on what you do with the NIFC halves you get. There's a lot of NIFC halves in my area- I saved every single one but now it seems that they are holding up too much of my money... I am considering saving 10 of the best coins from each year and mint mark and releasing the rest... Also, just got my first 2011-p half dollar in a roll, results from those 3 boxes hopefully later. hh.

Upvote 0

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
I suggest you just keep a few real nice ones of each year and mint mark. Then you have them if you ever start a complete collection of Kennedy's. Keeping too many does tie up your money.
Just my thoughts for you to consider.
rileyboy
(Rich, R.I.P.)

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the dates for NIFC halves... note: this is from my redbook and only the dates with a (c) next to them were not issued for circulation.

2001p: 21,200,000
2002p: 3,100,000
2002d: 2,500,000
2003p: 2,500,000
2003d: 2,500,000
2004p: 2,900,000
2004d: 2,900,000
2006p: 2,400,000
2006d: 2,000,000
2007p: 2,400,000
2007d: 2,400,000

apparently my redbook has 2005 p and d as well as 2008 p and d as issued for circulation, but here are those mintages:

2005p: 3,800,000
2005d: 3,500,000

2008p: 1,700,000
2008d: 1,700,000

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Interesting.. I never got any full boxes of 2005 D... I'm sure it could happen

Although they are NIFC.. if the federal reserve banks are short on halves.. they will get the mint to make some.. so my guess is that some of those NIFC are sitting at some FED banks somewhere and will be distributed when needed.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuffaloBoy said:
What do you do with your NIFC halves? Sell them? Save all you get? mark them and release them? just release them? save a roll of each year/mint mark?

Just curious on what you do with the NIFC halves you get. There's a lot of NIFC halves in my area- I saved every single one but now it seems that they are holding up too much of my money... I am considering saving 10 of the best coins from each year and mint mark and releasing the rest... Also, just got my first 2011-p half dollar in a roll, results from those 3 boxes hopefully later. hh.

I too saved them all when I first started to CRH. Let's face it...its more fun to find "keepers" than to not find keepers. However, I quickly realized that they were much more common to find than I expected, and way to much of my CRH funds were going to be tied up in NIFC halves that may not appreciate in value in my lifetime. If I had continued to keep them all, I'd probably have $800-$1000 tied up by now. I decided that money could be better invested elsewhere and decided to just keep 2 of each date/mintmark for my collection and release the rest.

I personally don't think they will appreciate in value and aren't worth keeping for that purpose. While the mintages are low, supply and demand is what creates value. The supply is indeed a bit low, but there is absolutely no demand at all that I know of. It wouldn't matter if a coin had a mintage of only 1...if nobody wanted it, it wouldn't be worth anything. I use the 1987 as an example. The coin is now 24 years old, and there still is no demand for it.

However, this is just my opinion. The coins are yours to do with as you wish. Don't let me or anyone else talk you into releasing coins that you want to keep!

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep them if they're still in pretty nice shape. If I get too many I'll either start throwing them back or see if I can make a profit on the bay.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept 1 of each year and mint, and I also kept 2 rolls of mixed nifc dates just in case they do go up in value a lot down the road. Other than that I toss em back, not worth keeping all of them. Keep some, just don't break the bank doing it ya know?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not Intended For Circulation. And the Red book has an error. The 2001 is not a NIFC.
HH
enamel7

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
enamel7 said:
Not Intended For Circulation. And the Red book has an error. The 2001 is not a NIFC.
HH
enamel7

The red book has beenin error for at least trhree years. I don't know why they don't change that!
As for me, I kept all I found. Until recently. Justg dumped over 200 NIFC. Gave up on them. No room, no desire, and no profit to be made. So I gave gthem back to the wild.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Keep a couple then toss em back. Some people make sets and sell them at local auction houses or on ebay. There is some money in that. As a dedicated CRH you should have at least one complete Kennedy collection! The hardest ones to find for me were the 68 and 69 San Francisco coins. I think I found five 1970 coins before I got the 68 and 69 San Francisco coins. I kept all the 1987 for a while...but then I got a box that had about forty of them! For a rare coin I have probably tossed back 100 of them in the last couple years. I think I might even have a whole page of 1987 coins in one of my 3 ring binder that holds my odd or unique CRH finds. There is more to CRH than just silver mining!

Maine_Jim

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
maine_Jim said:
There is more to CRH than just silver mining!

Maine_Jim

Well said Jim. Spoken like another of the (seemingly) few true coin collectors on this forum.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i started out saving them, then i got to $150.00 face, and dumped them all along with other crap i kept like gold plated halves, proof halves, foreign coins, canadian coins, many error coins, old currency, toned clad coins, and other stuff i cant think of right now. hope this helps! Keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
enamel7 said:
HH
enamel7
i'm sorry, I was reading just what the book stated, if the book is in error, I am in error since I am reading directly from my book 'trying' to be accurate.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
BuffaloBoy said:
enamel7 said:
HH
enamel7
i'm sorry, I was reading just what the book stated, if the book is in error, I am in error since I am reading directly from my book 'trying' to be accurate.

The 2012 Red book correctly omits the (c) for 2001 halves.

On a different note... the mint decides that a coin is not intended for circulation... and mints millions of the damn things??? WTF? :icon_scratch:

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FormerTeller said:
BuffaloBoy said:
enamel7 said:
HH
enamel7

The 2012 Red book correctly omits the (c) for 2001 halves.

On a different note... the mint decides that a coin is not intended for circulation... and mints millions of the *** things??? WTF? :icon_scratch:

Mint sets, Mint rolls, and Mint bags all aimed at the coin collector. But people are breaking open Mint rolls all the time now because they need the money.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saved 1 roll of NIFC that were AU or BU, then I saved both mints for each year for my collection also AU to BU. The rest I just throw back now. Like you said, they start taking up too much roll hunting money

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread