Nifty weekend finds!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
So I get out early Saturday morning and meet up with MikeIs (maybe he was Waz, but now he just IS). Feel me? So we meet up at an ooold spot that has been absolutely pounded for years and years. I thought the situation would present a nice challenge for me. I wasn't out to try to up a silver count, but to simply find any old coin people have missed. My old nickel count hasn't been too shabby lately so I thought I'd at least snag one of those here. Bill T came around and soon we were all swinging away. Let me just say that I didn't do well, at all. I averaged one wheatie per every 75 minutes Saturday, with NO nickels, and of course no silver, not even any cool relics. I left after awhile, tired, and imagining all the old deep silver there just barely out of reach. However, the weather was great and I had a fun time out there.

I had Sunday booked but at the last minute my plans were altered and I was able to go and swing for little while. Mike and Bill were over at one of Mike's silver spots, but by the time I called Mike, I was already heading in another direction, and was kind of far from them. I headed to a familiar area to try to get some old nickels yet again, but had dug about 312,098 pull tabs and beaver tails by the time I got a good IH signal at about 8 inches. Aw hell yeah, finally! I dug a big plug and scanned the plug, nothing. I scanned the bottom of the hole, and now I'm getting a high tone in the upper 70's (memorial or dime). Dug down a little more, and was surprised to see an eyeball staring back at me! Literally, a little eyeball charm smaller than a dime, marked STERLING on the back, with some more print and some kind of hallmark I'm not familiar with. That got me pretty excited because I almost forgot was silver looked like! I scored a few wheaties, including one that was in the same hole with an old baby blue marble.

I decided to leave for another spot before I went home, not too far away. I was there about one hour and hadn't found anything at all but a lucky wheatie, when I got a phone call. It was my fiance, who then asked where I was.

"Metal detecting", I responded.

"Yeah, I know. Where?"

"(location of metal detection)", I answered.

"I know, I can see you!" I then see her pulling up on the road near me! This was totally unlike her, so I was pretty surprised. Happy too, since seeing her made up for not finding jack $h!t. I needed a hug, desperately, and was thankful Mike or Bill weren't with me at that moment because they might have been game (awkward!) She had seen me from the road and decided to visit. When she arrived, I was in the middle of digging a bouncy penny signal. After ten minutes, she left, and I resumed digging. How fitting that I then find an old copper heart locket, must have been 7 inches or more down.

A break in the clouds and divine intervention combined to bring me much-needed relief in the form of a precious little coin spill consisting of a wheatie, a '46-D Rosey and a '44 merc, all together in the same hole as about half a pound of broken shards of glass. Not five feet away, another merc, a '40-D. I slowed down a bunch and picked up some more wheaties and some deep clad. Content with the days' finds, I began sweeping my way back to the car and got another IH signal. The depth meter was telling me seven inches. By now I have abandoned all dreams of finding IH's and dug it so I could see what kind of alchohol people drank back in the day. Well, it was not an IH, of course, nor was it a cap, but instead an awesome trade token that at first looked like an old dog tag. Better than an IH!

Other notable finds include an old earring, ancient zipper pull, OLD copper belt buckle, my umpteenth "Kissproof" lipstick case, button, and ginormous fishing weight. Sorry I couldn't make the group hunt Bob, I would have gone but plans changed late and I only hunted for a bit anyway on Sunday. Hope you all had great weekends, looking forward to reading your posts. Enclosed are some scans of my finds, and a recent photo of MikeIs.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 143
  • rustic_pirate.jpg
    rustic_pirate.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 200

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME FINDS !THATS A GREAT TRADE TOKEN,WTG!!!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Scary cool charm Joe! Get it exorcised first thing tomorrow.

Sunday afternoon in Elgin I found three mems in a triangle on the surface under leaves, a foil signal drove me to dig a inch down where I got a triple-lined plastic bag FULL of about 3 lbs. in crushed mussels from the river. Glad there wasn't an eye like that there too. I've discarded the mems and am still chanting.

Yeah man, excellent dig!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what's so cool about this. . . you never know what you'll find or who'll show up for moral support :)

Sweet hunt!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Sounds like she bought you some good luck, Joe! :wink:

Digging that eyeball - :o - man that's crazy! :tard:

All great finds you have there! The all seeing eye, the coppers, the cool token, the beautiful silvers! Congrats!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your day wasn't a bust....

Congrats on the shinnies...

The good finds I got on the hunt was from Tim....A real nice old beer bottle from 1915....

The best spots are always in your own back yard , so to speak...

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread