Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
If you can only hunt at night...it's probably illegal or he is trespassing. If it is illegal and/or trespassing the fines and penalties could be substantial. I would make sure I know what he is doing before I agree to accompany him as being an accomplice will get you just as much jail time as the ring leader.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
And lose your detector and possibly your car/truck as well as a big fine

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
sounds like sneaking in somewhere. be careful! some places they may not pay you no mind, other places might be archie sites and carry big fines. ask lots of questions before you join in.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Probably wants you as the look out.

Ask lots and lots of questions.

Sounds fishy to me too.

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Don't do it. A Nighthawk is someone that sneaks onto private property and detects illegally. We had some nighthawks ravage the Battle of Monmouth site from the Rev war. The next morning it looked like a war zone with holes and beer cans all over the place. Keep in mind if you're caught you will lose you car and your detector like erikk said.
Beware
Mike in NJ

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
It's what some Michigan hunters have been doing all summer at the county beaches that are closed Memorial day through Labor day, they know who they are.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
finderzzs said:
It's what some Michigan hunters have been doing all summer at the county beaches that are closed Memorial day through Labor day, they know who they are.
The beaches are closed in the summer ??? or closed to metal detecting?

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Here is an article on NightHawking

Nighthawks and nighthawking: damage to archaeological sites
English Heritage summaries. 2006/07

EH Project Number: 4886MAIN
Funded Unit: Oxford Archaeology

English Heritage, Cadw, Historic Scotland, National Museum, National Museum of Wales and Portable Antiquities Scheme are funding Oxford Archaeology, with support and help in kind from Archaeology Guernsey, Jersey Heritage Trust, Manx National Heritage, National Museums Scotland and Northern Ireland Environment and Heritage Service, to undertake a project entitled Nighthawks and Nighthawking: Damage to Archaeological Sites in the United Kingdom and Crown Dependencies caused by illegal searching and removal of antiquities. As the title suggests, unusually, the project covers not just England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland but also all the Crown Dependencies: the Isle of Man, the Bailiwick of Jersey and the Bailiwick of Guernsey. The Bailiwick of Guernsey principally comprises the Islands of Guernsey, Alderney and Sark. The project will run for 18 months: 12 months for data gathering and 6 months for collation and reporting.

The aims of this project are to produce targeted baseline data on the extent of damage to the archaeological heritage caused by illegal searching for, and removal of antiquities - a practise known as ‘Nighthawking’, and to foster a climate of opinion within all sectors that the illegal search, removal and sale of antiquities is unacceptable.

The project is not therefore concerned with the activities of the majority of metal detectors who follow good practice and do not break the law. It is solely concerned with those who break the law in the form of ‘nighthawking’.

The damage to archaeological sites caused by illegal searching and removal of antiquities is perceived as a major problem not only by archaeologists but also others interested in the UK’s cultural heritage. However, robust data quantifying the extent of the problem has neither been systematically and/or comprehensively collated and studied in recent times; although the CBA’s Metal Detecting and Archaeology in England (C Dobinson and S Denison, 1995 – funded by English Heritage), did consider ‘Illicit detecting and site damage’ ‘Metal detecting on scheduled ancient monuments’ and ‘Contraventions at Corbridge’. Given the limited data, it has been difficult to persuade the Government and the law enforcement authorities that this matter should have a higher priority than is current the case.

There is a substantial body of anecdotal (often unsubstantiated) information on the damage to sites caused by the unauthorised searching and removal of antiquities. Also, significant numbers of illicit antiquities are being traded on eBay and elsewhere. However, monitoring of this activity and collating intelligence that might be used by the law enforcement authorities is piecemeal and often under-resourced. These are the issues that this project seeks to address.

Data on these issues will be collected through a questionnaire which can be filled out on-line on a specially developed web portal or on requested paper copies, where this is a preferred option. Key organisations/ individuals will be contacted directly for information and it is hoped that both the general public and law-abiding metal detectorists will also provide information once they are aware of the project. Where necessary and acceptable information supplied will be followed by an interview.

The questionnaire/web portal will not only collect data on evidence of nighthawking but will also collect data on the sale of illicitly recovered archaeological material online and elsewhere, and prosecutions and convictions of ‘heritage crime’ . These issues will also be addressed through research.

and the urban dictionary has 2 definitions

1. nighthawking

The act of two men meeting up, having a vicious fight - then giving each other one up the plopper.

Jack was covered in bruises and walking like John Wayne... He'd been nighthawking again.

2. nighthawking

The act of shooting someone from a far distance without anyone noticing.

I was nighthawking in Counter-Strike when someone walked up be hind me ans shived me in the skull.

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strike it...

The first thing you do is to learn the law, the basics of where and how and with what type of equipment. And that leaves us with etiquette.

You certainly don't want to be the guy that starts some congressional hearings about whether they should outlaw our sport/hobby.

Treasure Hunter's Code of Ethics:

"I will always check federal, state, county and local laws before searching. It is my responsibility to know the law.

I will respect private property and will not enter private property without the owner's permission. Where possible, such permission will be in writing.

I will take care to refill any holes and try not to leave any damage.

I will remove and dispose of any and all trash and litter that I find.

I will appreciate and protect our inheritance of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.

I will, as an ambassador for the hobby, use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.

I will work to help bring unity to our hobby by working with any organization of any geographic area that may have problems that will limit their ability to peacefully pursue the hobby.

I will leave gates as found.

I will build fires in designated or safe places only.

I will report to the proper authorities any individuals who enter and/or remove artifacts from federal parks or state preserves."

That last one is really hard if your friend is really your friend. Don't even think of breaking the law on artifacts. Last year or so a guy got caught trying to sell some Indian artifacts from an archaeological site. As I remember it cost him TEN THOUSAND BUCKS in fines and they took his ATV and all his MD equipment.

As a member of a fairly large prospectors club, with approximately 1500 members, we know that our mining claims are our responsibility to maintain even though the state or BLM actually owns the land and someone trespassing on a claim that doesn't fill their holes causes the club, or any claim owner, the cost of refilling them. In some cases the holes were big enough to park a car in. The forest service checks on these claims regularly and reports back to us to "GIT 'ER DONE" or else lose our rights to the claim. They give us the chance to refill the hole, or they can hire a contractor to do it and charge it to us. The club has voted to prosecute the guilty.

Play by the rules and have fun. The rewards are great even when the treasures you find are small.

If you want to prospect in the wild, join a club. They usually have good areas to prospect where you can keep what ever you find (usually gold). Usually the bigger the club the more claims they have at your disposal. Our club has over 200, 20 acre claims.

Remember the first rule, check the local law to see if detecting is permitted. Some Florida beaches are off limits as I found out last summer in St. Petersburg. I had planned on MD'g an island off Fort Desoto Park that looked really promising for gold coins that frequently wash up on the beach after a storm.
That was a drastic change in plans for me. Gave me more time with family so it wasn't completely lost. Other beaches, as stated here, I found to be crowded with detectorists. One small, half acre beach (where there is a fresh water well from long, long ago ... 1700's) had three others there when I arrived. I found a few recent coins and a little bottle of somebody's nitro pills.

-dustcap

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
after reading your great replies i met up with my buddy and guess what confronted him with the facts he went silent and claimed that wasnt what he had meant surprise surprise needless to say I was really p*ssed off at the thought of nearly taking part in breaking the law even though he claimed civil rights and all that jazz. I then asked in that case did he donate all his finds to a museum or something if it was just about so called civil rights he didnt say a lot just headed in to the sunset good riddidance I later found out that what they do is use guys new to the hobbie as decoys if anything gos wrong they take the rap and the oldguys gang together to claim it was there idea. I think I will join a club and stay away from the fools

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Strik It Rich, your last post was the best one yet! By all means, join a club and leave the fools out of the picture.
HH and stay safe!

Desertfox

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
diggummup said:
finderzzs said:
The beaches are closed in the summer ??? or closed to metal detecting?
Closed to detectors.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Strikeitrich...for that...good karma to you. Hope you do strike it rich someday, the right way.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
strike it rich said:
after reading your great replies i met up with my buddy and guess what confronted him with the facts he went silent and claimed that wasnt what he had meant surprise surprise needless to say I was really p*ssed off at the thought of nearly taking part in breaking the law even though he claimed civil rights and all that jazz. I then asked in that case did he donate all his finds to a museum or something if it was just about so called civil rights he didnt say a lot just headed in to the sunset good riddidance I later found out that what they do is use guys new to the hobbie as decoys if anything gos wrong they take the rap and the oldguys gang together to claim it was there idea. I think I will join a club and stay away from the fools

This guy sounds like a real loser....I hope he gets caught...by the police....humm...better yet by a land owner with a shotgun! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread