Night time detecting

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
First... You can have and use a metal detector in MOST water in Florida ... you just cannot dig anything up... disturbing the ground that is underwater is a crime.
BUT as far as the the Fleet lease sites you cannot even have a metal detector in the water. Anywhere even close to the lease areas you are taking a serious risk entering the water with a detector. The local people are well versed in what the laws are there and are protective of the lease holders.... not to mention they do not really care for the "foot traffic / digging" there. They will drop a dime on you in a second if they see you enter the water with a detector.
Locals know the rules of those waters and the contents therein are the property of the lease holders and removal of any items is theft. Stay on the beach and out of the dunes... it is illegal to even enter or disturb sand dunes to begin with... destruction / damage of the "sea oats" is a serious offense as well.
Fleet coast has many problems with erosion and spends massive amounts of money combating it... they do not take kindly to individuals "digging" up the dunes. They will arrest you for dunes and or digging in the water.
Oh and one more warning...if you see a turtles nest OR a "taped off" boxed area. DO NOT enter it or disturb... they will arrest you after the locals kick your ass.

And.. When you get out of jail, you'll be walking home because they'll seize your vehicle.

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see what it would make a differnece wether you were detecting at night or in the day time. ....

I don't know about Florida beaches, but some beaches in Southern California
have curfews, typically 10 PM. Police patrol the beaches after 10 PM and make
everyone leave. Signs are posted to explain this. Other beaches, with no such
signs, seem to be open 24 hours.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of Florida beaches have no curfews and don't close by law. Daytona closes beach for driving at 7pm, but beach is open 24/7, only exception is if there is lighting they make you get off beach or get in car if car is parked on beach.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is this new law found? It's always been from the average low tide line. ... And no detectors within a 3000 foot radius from the center point of the wreck site..... 1500 yards is over 4000 feet that's kind of ridiculous if you think about the location of the wrecks they wouldn't even be able to be on their own wreck site in some cases.. Throw in another thousand feet and you'll be a mile offshore.
Are you talking about the east coast of Florida?
check it out Fla. Statute 253.61 It's not 1500 years ,but 3 MILES

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First... You can have and use a metal detector in MOST water in Florida ... you just cannot dig anything up... disturbing the ground that is underwater is a crime.

I will have to admit that I'm horribly green at this. Do you mean to say that all of those people that I have seen in all of those youtube videos about water hunting in Florida have been breaking the law? Or does this only apply to Vero? I'm planning on a trip to either Miami or St Aug this coming February/March, and if I cant waterhunt I think I will be somewhat miffed. Please tell me I am overthinking this.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can hunt in the water except for treasure coast area around Vero Beach area and I highly recommend you go to Miami over St Aug...

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
some of the best moments of the year for were those Spanish nights, when I'm wearing a 3mm wetsuit and I'm all alone in the warm summer Mediterranean sea, which is usually warm and calm by night.

the sea is also quite aromatic and clean over there. Standing there with the excalibur and extracting all kinds of things from water is always an interesting experience.

there are many "lol" moments involved there too, such seeing young couples copulate on the beach thinking they are all alone there ;)

these nights have been quite productive for me as well, money, silver and quite a lot of mostly 18k rings and so on..

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can hunt in the water except for treasure coast area around Vero Beach area and I highly recommend you go to Miami over St Aug...

This is exactly what I am trying to tell my wife what we should do. For some reason she loves StA.

I was stationed in Tampa for 4 years, and did the beach thing up and down the west coast, but never got to Miami. I sure would like to see it. Maybe Crocket and Tubbs will still be there... :laughing7:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
some of the best moments of the year for were those Spanish nights, when I'm wearing a 3mm wetsuit and I'm all alone in the warm summer Mediterranean sea, which is usually warm and calm by night.

the sea is also quite aromatic and clean over there. Standing there with the excalibur and extracting all kinds of things from water is always an interesting experience.

there are many "lol" moments involved there too, such seeing young couples copulate on the beach thinking they are all alone there ;)

these nights have been quite productive for me as well, money, silver and quite a lot of mostly 18k rings and so on..

Dang, dude, you make it sound like I'm lost reading a book. SOLD! Actually, when I was in the service I spent many months in Spain. I made it out to the coast many times, but where I really want to go is Ibiza or Majorca.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Calling the parks, cops, public works, town hall, all ALERTS people of the hobby. They are generally busy with other things and they are going to act swiftly, and hasty. NO will be the answer, or they don't know and have to check. Checking means looking up laws. When they don't find any, there will be some very shortly. If there are laws...more then likely they will interpret them as no.

If so many people did not keep calling the state of ma, dcr would never have considered banning the hobby. I still can't believe it, but for now the hobby is safe. Do not call public or state authorities and ask for permission. Utilize that for private property.

Take this advice at your own risk. At the very least, look up laws yourself. Its not the shows, its people constantly calling these agencies asking if its ok.

I don't see what it would make a differnece wether you were detecting at night or in the day time. I would just call the parks service and see if maybe they could answer the question for you. I also agree with treasure hunter you should never just assume you can carry a weapon. A felony is a felony wether it's done on purpose or not.

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Dang, dude, you make it sound like I'm lost reading a book. SOLD! Actually, when I was in the service I spent many months in Spain. I made it out to the coast many times, but where I really want to go is Ibiza or Majorca.

been there too, Mallorca has many bays without any waves, so the loot remains accessible for decades after being deposited.

Mallorca is not a bad place at all. Especially the Eastern (mostly german owned) part.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Calling the parks, cops, public works, town hall, all ALERTS people of the hobby. They are generally busy with other things and they are going to act swiftly, and hasty. NO will be the answer, or they don't know and have to check.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Its more like they do not wish to be bothered more than anything. Its quite the paradox, isn't it? Its so amazing that the very thing we love so much can be found so distasteful by so many unenlightened people. Then again, it truly wouldn't be much fun if we didn't have a bit of us verses them, now would it? :laughing7:

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Treasure_Hunter I highly recommend you go to Miami over St Aug..

There is nothing left in Miami. Just kidding if you do come down send me a PM and maybe do a beach hunt

Last edited:

1emeraldlady

Jul 26, 2013
Micco, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
FYI.....Many of the beaches around Sebastian Inlet (Treasure Coast area) DO, in fact close at sunset. They actually have gates and police lock the gates at sunset. I know Turtle Trail, Sea Grape, Wabasso, Golden Sands (currently closed for sand restoration anyway) Treasure Shores, Ambersands, Bonnsteel...etc all get closed at Sunset. However Sebastian Inlet itself stays open 24 hours a day. You may also be a little confused by the sea turtle nesting laws which prohibit flashlights on the beaches from May through the end of October (while the turtles nest) and kind of makes metal detecting at night nearly impossible in the dark. Of course all of the other issues regarding metal detecting near lease sites and in the water still apply too like everyone else is discussing. :) You will definitely find your car locked in if you don't clear off the beach and there is no camping allowed (as far as I know) and no campfires are supposed to be done on the beaches in this area-no pets either (but a lot of the homeowners living in the beach houses do think they are exempt from that law too). ;)

Last edited:

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agree. Go to miami. Water is clear, and big money brings big bling lost while playing at the beach. Higher karat gold in south florida for sure.
Some guy has a blog and post all kinds of big money bling found in south fl - lots of high karat with diamonds and other things.
Dont waste your time in st augustine - laws are strick their just as they are on the treasure coast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread