NJ Copper cent, 1787

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
White's V3X, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my inlaws in for the past 2 weeks, that and the rain has seriously cut into my swinging time. Since my last find, I treated myself to a new Whites VX3. :headbang: :love4: Yesterday, managed to get away for a quick Hour and 15 minute hunt at my colonial site. Pulled my normal shotgun primers, and .45-70 Gov't brass, managed to dig 1 old wrought nail and some good old NJ copper. I've been trying to get myself a nice 19th century coin for awhile now, well I skipped that whole century and have what I believe to be a 1787 NJ cent. It's in rough shape... very corroded.

I talked to Don in SJ about it, and learned he's been tracking these for about 6 years now whereever they are found.. This one is #440 for him and it came out of Charlestown, PA Chester County. I've also sought out some advice on how to clean it up... When I first dug it all I could make out was that it had a shield on the reverse. I gave it a Distilled water bath and after that started to see parts of the head, plow and Caeser written on the Obverse..

Since speaking with Don, I've had it in 2 Hot Peroxide baths tonite.. its cleaned up some... I may have my jeweler friend put it through an electrolysis treatment this weekend.

Obverse Before Peroxide,
PsOjg.jpg

Reverse Before Peroxide
mGvSV.jpg

Obverse After Peroxide
i8r3k.jpg

Reverse After Peroxide
xzSJd.jpg

Upvote 0

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice coin when i first read it i thought you said Don in SJ found 440 of those but i read it over more and he had tracked 440 of them :laughing7:

OP
OP
B

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He hasn't found 440, he's tracked 440 of them being found and their location...whenever someone finds one, he finds out the variety and county and state in which they were foung... i do think he's found a half dozen of them personally.. not sure...

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Briz06 said:
He hasn't found 440, he's tracked 440 of them being found and their location...whenever someone finds one, he finds out the variety and county and state in which they were foung... i do think he's found a half dozen of them personally.. not sure...
ya i just figured that out a couple seconds ago and posted it. But you replied before i got to it to say i figured it out haha :laughing9: also it is funny how you completely skipped the 19th century and got an 18th century, I would take that any day. nice coin :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
B

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! :icon_thumleft: I've been trying to find a nice 19th century area to swing at... just by chance i found another area, one of these days I will get my seated coin :laughing9:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find Briz06! :notworthy:

Hope you don't mind . . .
I re-sized the pics for you! :wink:

Dave

Attachments

• NJ copper 01.jpg
    NJ copper 01.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 646
  • NJ copper 02.jpg
    NJ copper 02.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 653
  • NJ copper 03.jpg
    NJ copper 03.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 645
  • NJ copper 04.jpg
    NJ copper 04.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 665

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats on your first State Copper, may many more follow for you. I am fairly certain you ID'd it correctly to me as a 1787 Maris 39-a variety. Thanks for the input into my NJ survey (it is #440) and for the record, I have 19 20 NJ coppers, but yet my son who hunts the same sites has found only 3 over the past 25 years or so, but he found more Conn coppers than I have, so tic for tac. :)

I think that copper is about as good as you could hope for, any further cleaning/preservation procedures might degrade what you have left, I would keep it as is.

Don

OP
OP
B

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don in SJ said:
Big congrats on your first State Copper, may many more follow for you. I am fairly certain you ID'd it correctly to me as a 1787 Maris 39-a variety. Thanks for the input into my NJ survey (it is #440) and for the record, I have 19 NJ coppers, but yet my son who hunts the same sites has found only 3 over the past 25 years or so, but he found more Conn coppers than I have, so tic for tac. :)

I think that copper is about as good as you could hope for, any further cleaning/preservation procedures might degrade what you have left, I would keep it as is.

Don

Thanks Don, especially for the cleaning tips!! :icon_thumleft: Its funny, as I was messaging you the other day, it didn't even dawn on me as to what your Profile picture is ;D .. i have a small research project going on now, im hoping to add some British Rev. War Relic finds!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! Found my first Jersey a couple weeks ago. Maris -14j. :headbang:

OP
OP
B

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hogge said:
Congratulations! Found my first Jersey a couple weeks ago. Maris -14j. :headbang:

Thats Great Hogge, :icon_thumleft: Did you find it up in Mass? Any other big coppers up there?

Countrybob71

Tenderfoot
May 10, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Very nice!! I hunt my sister-in-laws property that is pre-colonial and would love to find one of these!! How did it come up on your detector? I hunt with an ACE 250.

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Big congrats on your 1st NJ Copper!! :headbang: :icon_thumright: Keep em coming! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Countrybob71 said:
Very nice!! I hunt my sister-in-laws property that is pre-colonial and would love to find one of these!! How did it come up on your detector? I hunt with an ACE 250.

Hey CountryBob, I use both an Ace 350 and a White Vx3, I got this using my vx3 on its first relic hunt, I just got it last week. It rang a low 60's VDI which on your Ace250 would ring up like a small cent, was about 5" deep..

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I was happy to hear about your find earlier in the week. I am glad you posted it. It is a beauty in any condition!

Congrats!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Briz06 said:
hogge said:

Thats Great Hogge, :icon_thumleft: Did you find it up in Mass? Any other big coppers up there?
Yep...in Ma. Also found a Conn. at the same cellar hole. Just sold them both on EBAY.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread