Quick Scouting Hunt - Unknown Copper. ID?

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I had planned to stay home and get some things done - but after supper the detecting bug bit and off I went hoping to gain permission for a new site or two. Well, most of the spots I had in mind were still uncut, I did find one early looking group of fields that were finished. After gaining permission I set off across one of the most interesting looking fields with my girlfriend and one of her friends in tow. I only got in under an hour of swinging but near the end managed a few targets to tell me I was in the right area!
Can anyone give an ID or approx date to this toasty copper? The only features I can make out are the three swooping lines, there's also a swooping line on the other side.
004-4.jpg

005-3.jpg

Here's a group shot of the non junk finds, pewter spoon piece, some bits of cut lead.
007-1.jpg

Upvote 0

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey good to see your getting out here and there... The field does show it has some age to it... would be curious what other goodies it may hold :laughing7:
Shouldn't be too long for an ID on that coin....

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Hey good to see your getting out here and there... The field does show it has some age to it... would be curious what other goodies it may hold :laughing7:
Shouldn't be too long for an ID on that coin....
Hoping for an ID that'll shed some light on the age, quite a lot of iron so it seems to be a wide site, and lots more field to explore! Be worth a try come late fall or spring!

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Thinking the coin could be a French Sous, used in Canada. mid to late 1700s. I have one, but it is too buried to go and find tonight.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing you can try is put a piece of paper on top of the coin and try various pencil rubbings of different pressures to see if you can get a clearer image. Nice find. The above post looks like it could be the one.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the first pic I was thinking Indian too. That's a different one for ya.

"group of fields that were unfinished" That is becomming more, and more of a common thing. The small farms are dying off. Less, and less cattle around, the pastures are growing up, and no need to cut hay for cattle that don't exist. The good hunting season for many smaller, older farms will be early spring only. Even at that, it tends to build up a thick mat-like layer after a few years of neglect. Have just such a place near by, a house site, that will have to be done first thing next spring.

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
From the first pic I was thinking Indian too. That's a different one for ya.

"group of fields that were unfinished" That is becomming more, and more of a common thing. The small farms are dying off. Less, and less cattle around, the pastures are growing up, and no need to cut hay for cattle that don't exist. The good hunting season for many smaller, older farms will be early spring only. Even at that, it tends to build up a thick mat-like layer after a few years of neglect. Have just such a place near by, a house site, that will have to be done first thing next spring.
You're exactly right there, my families farm is no different. It's been at least 5 years since it's seen a good plow/cut and with my uncle passing away this past spring I doubt anyone else will bother with the land. It's an early 1800s farmhouse and it's in such disrepair I believe we'll be letting the local fire dept use it as a test this winter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread