Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Today is the last warm day for at least a week, so had to get out for a 3 hour hunt this morning. I waited till about 10:30 am to give the hunters a chance and hopefully leave. If you read yesterday's post, you know I finished the small corn field. This morning, luck was in favor of me.....when I got there, the large field across the road was vacant of vehicles. This was the one of the 3 remaining fields I get a good feeling about. After a couple modern bullets, I got a very scratchy, iffy signal that went from 40's to low 60's and dug my first Buffalo nickel. Looks like a 1915, but of course the date is the worst part of the coin, lol. Thanks for looking.
ery2a6ez.jpg

by3atade.jpg

u6e4yrar.jpg

mazyhyjy.jpg

ygydynep.jpg

6ezu8u3u.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upvote 12

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II & Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find.. its hard for me to find nickels sometimes HH

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find.. its hard for me to find nickels sometimes HH

I know what you mean. If you look at my profile, you'll see they are the least found coin by me, at least in quarter and less denominations anyway. Thanks!

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II & Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean. If you look at my profile, you'll see they are the least found coin by me, at least in quarter and less denominations anyway. Thanks!

They are definitely my least coin found.. I'm always thinking they are shredded pop cans and don't even try digging then. That's also why I haven't found any gold either

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!! The elusive buffalo nickel! I have been metal detecting for almost 10 years and have never found a single one. I don't know how it has been possible.:dontknow:

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are definitely my least coin found.. I'm always thinking they are shredded pop cans and don't even try digging then. That's also why I haven't found any gold either
Shredded pop cans ring in very brightly on the AT Pro. Usually 70's or higher. If I had been in a park, I probably would not have dug this one, lol.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL!! The elusive buffalo nickel! I have been metal detecting for almost 10 years and have never found a single one. I don't know how it has been possible.:dontknow:
10 years?!? Now I really am happy with it, lol. Thanks for the post.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a good find

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not digging the trash signals often enough, that's how. I do dig tons of the trash signal and dig tons of trash with few nickels and only one Buff. Every once in a while i'll hit a war which is always a plus in my book.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No its just the sites I hunt are to old for nickels. lol I'm kidding! I have dug every other type of nickel ever made. War nickels, V's, Jeff's. I have even dug a 1867 with rays nickel! Some of it has to do with not digging every trash signal I agree. Still if you knew how many trash signals I have dug!! The odds would say I have should have dug a few of them. OH well maybe next year.
Not digging the trash signals often enough, that's how. I do dig tons of the trash signal and dig tons of trash with few nickels and only one Buff. Every once in a while i'll hit a war which is always a plus in my book.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apparently luck, hunches or some other facet of our hobby has deemed it not your time yet. " Maybe the next time" is what keeps us going back.....even after a one coin dig, lol. Thanks for your posts.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your nickel ! My detector likes can slaw better than nickels! Lol! Me thinks the mighty moles are busy moving the good finds around underground and snickering while we scratch our heads and say "I could have swore that read gold on the display".

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice nickel---I,ve yet to find one...or even a V nickel----

Never know what will be in that there hole !!!!!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a machine that can give VDI numbers helps a good deal. :icon_thumleft: I can find nickels, almost every time. They have the same VDI number and I know when its a nickel or not 98% of the time. :hello2: Also helps in finding silver coins... Finding gold is a little different gold has a huge range and could be almost anything. So skipping it is easy to do... :dontknow: Hope this helps you guys !! :notworthy:

Nice buff, good hunting !! :headbang:
Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having a machine that can give VDI numbers helps a good deal. :icon_thumleft: I can find nickels, almost every time. They have the same VDI number and I know when its a nickel or not 98% of the time. :hello2: Also helps in finding silver coins... Finding gold is a little different gold has a huge range and could be almost anything. So skipping it is easy to do... :dontknow: Hope this helps you guys !! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:
I am pretty certain I would not have dug this from the tone alone. Honestly, I was hoping it might be a flat button because of coins found in adjacent fields. Thanks for the info and reply!

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats.Thats nice.I have yet to find a buffalo nickle.HH.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job on the Buff, after the first they start to come easier !! :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Buff. nickles can be tough with the ATP, (Canadian nickles too) but I have started digging signals that I think may be something even if it gives off an indication of iron rather then discounting it because it gives an iron tone with some high tones. I figure, what the heck to I have to loose other then about 45 seconds to recover the target.
HH,
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread