eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were looking at a cottage down there because my brother in law wanted to fish at the end of the island. Usually it is better than Nags Head. I told my wife that I could not detect there because it is National Seashore. Got a cottage in Nags Head. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

habs

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eathabs said:
We were looking at a cottage down there because my brother in law wanted to fish at the end of the island. Usually it is better than Nags Head. I told my wife that I could not detect there because it is National Seashore. Got a cottage in Nags Head. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

habs

While I was down there, a guy strolled out on the sand witha White's MXT and told me he just keeps an eye out for the beach patrol truck and ditches the MD before they get close. Said he finds all kinds of stuff in the Fall.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't risk it.

Not worth it if caught

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You'll be reading about that guy in the paper if he keeps that up! That would comparable to poaching. And, hell if I'm going to throw my $2,000 etrac in the ditch! Just knock on doors! there are plenty of spots to hunt there!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4-H staff said:
You'll be reading about that guy in the paper if he keeps that up! That would comparable to poaching. And, hell if I'm going to throw my $2,000 etrac in the ditch! Just knock on doors! there are plenty of spots to hunt there!

If they really wanted to make a statement they can also take the car you drove to the beach in....not worth the trouble or the bad press for the hobby.

NJ

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from N. carolinia and i went to the cowpens battle field in S carolina I asked them to hunt and they told me go ahead and hunt if i wanted to spend a few days in jail LOL... but nice battle field and nice history

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One way to hunt these battlefields is to volunteer with an archaeologist that has permission to dig at these sites. Granted you can keep anything you find but it can be very interesting and you learn from the experts. If you find something unique it will be displayed at the museum or visitor center with your name as the finder which is kind of cool. I find this kind of work very rewarding and actually perfer it over just going out looking for a few old coins to add to my collection.

You should look into it.

NJ

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you 100%. i would love to just go and find it even know i couldnt keep it.. here in michigan i have given all the stuff i found to the historic society andf they took it and just put my name on it as founder its rewarding just to have my name in the museum...

Litewings

Jun 5, 2008
I live near the battlefield here in Guilford County. (The Battle of Guilford Courthouse) I've noticed from looking at the old maps that only a small part of the actual battlefield is "federal park." I've wondered about asking for permission to hunt from the owners on some of the property surrounding the park.
Litewings

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Litewings said:
I live near the battlefield here in Guilford County. (The Battle of Guilford Courthouse) I've noticed from looking at the old maps that only a small part of the actual battlefield is "federal park." I've wondered about asking for permission to hunt from the owners on some of the property surrounding the park.
Litewings

That will work. Over the weekend I was hunting across the street from Valley Forge on private property. Sometimes you can find situations where there is private property surrounded by the federal park. Just make sure you don't take your detector out on park property....big no-no. There is nothing in ARPA that states you can't have one in your car on park property but I would still not flaunt it.

Good luck

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread