No detecting in Texas State Parks

channelmaniac

Sep 15, 2009
Just a note for detectorists that come to the great state of Texas: Metal Detecting is off limits in Texas State Parks. It is a Class A Misdemeanor offense.

You can detect at Corps of Engineers run lakes and parks but cannot detect on Texas State Parks that are located on Corps owned/run lakes. You must detect outside of the state park boundaries on those lakes.

smugpot

Dec 24, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster III
i heard you can only detect if you are at lose of goods to recover your own items
wonder if that is true?

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
DEFINED Re: No detecting in Texas State Parks : DEFINED

I wrote the state to inquire on what it takes to actually qualify for a permit.
Sounds to me like it takes an act of congress, or divine intervention.
Either way, the chances are slim to none!

Here is their "OFFICIAL" response:

Thank you for your interest in the Texas State Parks.

It is an offense for any person to operate or use a metal detector in
the State Parks, except as authorized by permit. This regulation allows
the public to do metal detecting in the State Parks only in the case of
lost personal items, and with permission from the park superintendent.

So if the person lost an item in his campsite, the superintendent would
allow him to metal detect for the item in his campsite only. He could
not run down to another campsite and begin looking for things there, or
anywhere else in the park. If in the process of looking for his item he
finds someone else's wedding ring, he must turn that and any other items
to the park's Lost and Found Department.

I hope this explains our policy. If you have any other questions,
please let us know.

We hope to see you at one of your parks soon!
Veronica Gonzalez-Rivera
Park Information Representative
Texas Parks and Wildlife
4200 Smith School Rd
Austin, TX 78744
512-389-8900

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can anyone find the information supporting the claim that it is infact "Illegal to hunt CoE lakes located within State parks" To my understanding the jurisdiction changes from land to water. The state park has jurisdiction over the land, and CoE has it over the water. It is illegal to consume alcohol in a public manner inside a state park. (you CAN drink in your tent/camper) BUT if you are on a CoE lake located within a state park, as long as you are in the water, so long as even a Foot is in the water, you are considered not in the State Park and therefore able to drink alcohol in a public manner. I am confused as to why the jurisdiction changes for the alcohol consumption but apparently not MDing. I was told by the sheriffs who patrol high populated beaches on the lake in question that as long as you are consuming the alcohol on the water, you are not within the state park. So would it not make sense that so long as you are in the water, MDing these CoE beaches is legal (as defined by the laws of this same section stating it is infact legal to hunt CoE beaches and other disturbed areas)

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
HuntNdig said:
can anyone find the information supporting the claim that it is infact "Illegal to hunt CoE lakes located within State parks" To my understanding the jurisdiction changes from land to water. The state park has jurisdiction over the land, and CoE has it over the water. It is illegal to consume alcohol in a public manner inside a state park. (you CAN drink in your tent/camper) BUT if you are on a CoE lake located within a state park, as long as you are in the water, so long as even a Foot is in the water, you are considered not in the State Park and therefore able to drink alcohol in a public manner. I am confused as to why the jurisdiction changes for the alcohol consumption but apparently not MDing. I was told by the sheriffs who patrol high populated beaches on the lake in question that as long as you are consuming the alcohol on the water, you are not within the state park. So would it not make sense that so long as you are in the water, MDing these CoE beaches is legal (as defined by the laws of this same section stating it is infact legal to hunt CoE beaches and other disturbed areas)

Since many lakes in Texas might be lower water level due to lack of normal rain for the year, as long as you search in water--not on land, you should be able to detect the lake, since C of E say you can detect their lakes. ......if you tie your boat to a tree in shallow water---------Which is less harmful to other boaters and people on the lake???-------when you drink beer for 3 hours and drive a boat back to the launch area, or when you metal detect in shallow water for 3 hours and drive a boat back to the launch area ??????

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is exactly how I feel Robbie, thanks for the response again. And i don't know which one is worse, but i sure do know which one will get you a bigger ticket!!! I rarely drink because of my career. I have too much at stake to throw away on a DWI (even in a boat). With my Class A CDL a .02 BAC means jail and DWI. Best to just leave it alone!

kqt0445

Nov 11, 2011
Katy,tx.
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is the beach at McFaddn wild life refuge at High Island tx. off limits, sence the fence is gone how far back from the beach can you go. I like to go out sunday and see what i can find sence it might be the last weekend before it get's cold 11-11-11

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread