No detector allowed, no problem.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked a local park today because I saw that the NO METAL DETECTORS ALLOWED IN THE PARK signs were no longer posted. Well as it turns out, the signs did come down, only to be replaced by larger signs, deeper into the park. The sign was tough to see if you drove by due to the trees blocking it. Oh well, I figured I was already there and didn't feel like going someplace else. I figured I'd look around. The park dates back to the turn of the century and I'd seen a lot pictures of the park from that period. I was able to find a few things just by scanning the ground. The silver heart pendant was the first find. It was by one of the picnic tables, right on top of the woodchips. The key and the dime were on the playground. Next Monday is supposed to be warmer, I'll try and get down to the beach. They still allow metal detectors on the beach, dont they?

Attachments

• eyeballfinds 002.jpg
    eyeballfinds 002.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,074
  • eyeballfinds 001.jpg
    eyeballfinds 001.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,043
Upvote 0

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some sweet finds, glad you didn't get caught.

As for the park, maybe you could join a club in the area, and as a club go to the powers to be in the area and see if you couldn't get permission to hunt the park. Maybe they would want you to have a permit to hunt the site. If you go to a meeting, take along pictures or maybe some trash finds you have found in the area. Go to the police, offer you assistance in a crime scene. There are all kinds of ways to get permission to hunt a site that is off limits. Permission is the key to any good site.

Good luck at the beach. Ringfinder

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I would take a copy of the code of ethics. I never understand why they would prohibit me from removing a large trash bag filled with pull tabs and beer cans. Seems they would rather have a toxic dump.

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TokenFinder said:
I'll never understand the retards that turn the wheels of government. Sorry you can't visit your park. We have one a$$h@le precinct here in Houston that has banned detectors. Precint 4 I believe it is.
I was told that a few years ago, some guy came through the park with one of those cheapo detectors and a shovel. He left a bunch of holes and ruined it for the rest of us.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willie, this happens all over with dumb people. They don't realize the harm they are doing as it is only dirt to them. This is why we have to help newbies learn how to recover a coin without making a mess. Heck, when I first started, I made a mess too, till some old guy showed me how to do it the right way. We didn't even have pinpointing modes then.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
willie d said:
TokenFinder said:
I'll never understand the retards that turn the wheels of government. Sorry you can't visit your park. We have one a$$h@le precinct here in Houston that has banned detectors. Precint 4 I believe it is.
I was told that a few years ago, some guy came through the park with one of those cheapo detectors and a shovel. He left a bunch of holes and ruined it for the rest of us.

Yep....I ran into the same thing here. I went to the fairgrounds ready to do some major swinging and went to ask permission. They were still loading up stuff and cleaning up after 10 days worth of activity. The head guy said "There's been several ask me already and I can't let anyone do it cause a guy got hurt out here and tried to sue us!" Geesh! How and the heck do you get hurt walking on flat land! Anyway, I hate that the "bad guys" have ruined it for alot of us.

You did better eyeballing then some of us on a two hour hunt! Good Job!

HH,
Moon

T

TreasureTales

Well, being the hard-headed individual that I am, I'd have a little heart-to-heart chat with my city council. Banning metal detectors from a park based on what some guy did in the past is like banning picnics in the park because somebody threw their trash on the grass afterwards. It is nonsense. Really, I'd ask what the difference is between trash from picnickers (which is littering and therefore illegal) and some guy who years ago dug some holes (which is damage to public property and illegal). If someone does something illegal, that's one thing. But for a city to ASSUME that you will do something illegal before you even do anything equates to being found guilty without even doing anything illegal in the first place. It's not Constitutional, IMO. It's assumption of guilt without basis. It's WRONG to outlaw an activity based on what one guy did. As I said, does that same park outlaw picnickers based on the illegal acts of a previous picnicker? Heck no they don't. I think this ban of detectors in the park could be considered discrimination in a way.

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringfinder said:
Glad I didn't get caught doing what, exactly?

lionhrt9

Dec 10, 2005
NW Indiana, there's silver in dem grounds!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab (Xterra50) and Garrett (Ace 250)<-Gone to dad in Montana
Quote from: ringfinder on Feb 05, 2007, 07:00:12 PM

Glad I didn't get caught doing what, exactly?

Willie d,

I think ringfinder thought you MDed your finds. Not ground scanned them.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those signs in parks are from people who didn't follow the rules of MDing in the past. We pay the price now, and that is why it is important for us to follow the rules. Like getting permission and hunting places that are allowed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread