NO Mercs...NOT even a wheatie..BUT the Barber shop was OPEN...Injuns welcome too

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a strange hunt. Went to a park that everyone has pounded for years...and there just aren't many signals to dig anymore. It's a fun place...a big place...and a nice spot to just fall back on to swing the coil if I have no other place to go. i'm lucky if I can scare up a wheatie or 2 in 3 or 4 hours.
There is a very old section there about the size of a gym floor that I can never get any machine to settle down at. In the 80's it drove my white's nuts...in the 90's it drove my fisher nuts...now it drives my SE nuts. ??? There are power lines overhead...on ground transformers...underground power lines...you name it...if it can cause interference...it's there! I have NEVER been able to hunt it. >:( Today for some reason...I got about 4 hours there and was at least able to detect...although there WAS interference. I knew there had to be some good stuff there because I have never known anyone who was able to detect there long.
I called niterider_58 (Phil)...and told him he needed to get here...cause the deepies were coming out. Someone had obviously gotten their machine to work well enough to get the mercs and wheaties in the 6" to 7" range from this spot...but the deep OLD goodies were still hidin' there. :headbang:
The detecting was very difficult...but at least it WAS finally possible. The SE was going crazy...but every now and then I could tell a good signal in between the interference gibberish. The first thing I dug was a 1905 Injun...and that would be the NEWEST coin I dug in the 4 hour hunt. :laughing7: I then popped out a Barber dime at about 8" down that hit just like a clad dime...but much deeper. 30 minutes later I got a signal that I honestly just took a chance on. It read like a nickel...but bounced straight left. I figured this was the first time in 25 years that I was able to hit this spot...so might as well DIG. Out popped the 1884 Injun from 8". Lately...I've dug some very old injuns...and NONE of them hit like a textbook injun should. The older ones have hit like a pulltab...but then jumped straight left.
Plugged along and dug another injun (1887) that hit weird like the last one...just a strange lower hit that puzzled me. ??? Had I not dug the 1862 fatty injun last week...I would probably not have dug the injuns today...cause they hit the same way...lower...then jumped to the left...so I took a chance and dug them. :o
About an hour later I got a bouncer hit that danced accross the top of the screen...but it sounded very sweet. Out popped the 1893s Barber dime which is a $25 coin in vg condition. :icon_sunny:
About that time Phil showed up and I showed him what I had at that time...3 injuns and two barber dimes.
The good signals were very few and far between...but they were ALL OLDIES.
The first 2 hours I used my 10 x 14 Excelerator coil...but as slow as I swing...my shoulder needed a break...so it was time to use the 1050 coil for the next 2 hours. It wasn't so much the weight of the coil as much as it is my bad shoulder from getting cracked on my Harley a few years ago! Nonetheless...anyone who has ever hunted with me will tell you....I don't even really swing the coil....I go super slow motion and just "scan" the ground...and it takes it's toll on me after a couple of hours. :D
We had 2 hours left...so off we went...right back through the same section I just hit...but at a different angle this time. It was really hard to hear the signals through the gibberish...which had gotten worse now towards the evening for some reason?? I got an iffy silver hit...but it was very deep and really stuck out through all the interference sounds coming from the SE. I dug down about 8" and out popped a coin I have NEVER seen before. I got all excited and went over to show Phil because it looked like a half dime...but smaller....VERY tiny....and VERY thin. I had no clue what it was because I didn't recognize the head on the front. What a let down when we realized it was a Canadian silver 5 cent piece...and not a half dime....or half reale. :'( :sign12: Oh well...still silver...still a neat find...and it was an 1897. :icon_cheers: How tiny is it?...well the barber dimes I found weigh 2.5 grams each and you know how thin they are. The canadian 5 cent silver piece weighs ONLY 1.2 grams...LESS than half of what the barbers do..and is paper thin. :tongue3:
A long time went by and I was getting very frustrated...as by now...the interference was just unbarable. I hadn't even been able to distinguish a good signal from gibberish in over an hour. Finally I heard that sweet sound mixed in ..but no way I could even attempt to pinpoint from all the noise...so I guessed at the location...cut a monster plug...then ran the probe in the hole. BINGO...about 3" deeper...out popped the third Barber dime. :D I was really hoping for a seated...as I haven't found one in a while. :-\ Oh well. You know you've had a great hunt when you are a little let down to see a third Barber dime come out of the ground. ;D It was a 1901 and very nice...full Liberty clearly visible along the head. :thumbsup:
Thanks for reading...and good luck on your next hunt.

Attachments

• coins58.jpg
    coins58.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 931
  • coins59.jpg
    coins59.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 902
  • coins60.jpg
    coins60.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 891
Upvote 0

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
That's a nice "no Merc day" :wink: :thumbsup:
Thanks Jeff

The Buzzard King said:
Another amazing hunt! Nice job on the tiny silver.
That's an INCREDIBLE haul from a "hunted-out" place.
Great work! Congrats!
Thanks BK. It was pretty neat to see that little critter comeout of the ground.

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Re: NO Mercs...NOT even a wheatie..BUT the Barber shop was OPEN...Injuns welcome

Sweeeet finds buddy!! All the determination and effort pays off once again. I'm glad you got into a sweet spot with the ol' SE and was able to hear the targets!! I would take a day like that over anything. 8)

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
That is an incrediable hunt in a pounded park!No crummy Mercs or Rosies,Barbers and in pretty sweet shape.Wheaties ,who wants stinkin Wheaties when you can have IH's.What a Day!!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got some real nice coins there. CONGRATS........Hogge

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: NO Mercs...NOT even a wheatie..BUT the Barber shop was OPEN...Injuns welcome

TreasurdiggrNY said:
Great hunt SF, lotsa nice coins in one hunt, that's great. The twilight zone huh? I know where you'll be hunting at the next power outage :thumbsup:
Glenn
Thanks Glenn. A power outage would be great there...but trust me...they probably have backups for the backup power systems in that crazy place ;D

John Deere Digger said:
Great day Bryce. Super looking coins, and a multiple day to boot. Keep up those great descriptions they really help us all out. HH
JDD
Thanks JDD. Glad you enjoy the posts...and good luck on your next hunt. I've been watching your posts...and you've been digging some nice goodies :thumbsup:

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow.... Awesome!!! :thumbsup:

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Bryce, that is an awesome day of SE kicking azz! Lol!

I'm proud to see you doing so well. That EX 10x14 coil is one of the best in uncluttered ground; I'm surprised to see it working so well for you with all the interfernce you are writing about.

Have you tried ALL METAL in either FERROUS or CONDUCT? You'll see some of the interference go away and your SE will become more stable. Even the ID will be more accurate. Try finding you a good target in AM and then verifying it useing IRON MASK set on about 20.

Great, great job!
GRB

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Great finds! I wanted to suggest trying during a power outage, but someone beat me to it! What a day!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoldenRoyBoy said:
Bryce, that is an awesome day of SE kicking azz! Lol!

I'm proud to see you doing so well. That EX 10x14 coil is one of the best in uncluttered ground; I'm surprised to see it working so well for you with all the interfernce you are writing about.

Have you tried ALL METAL in either FERROUS or CONDUCT? You'll see some of the interference go away and your SE will become more stable. Even the ID will be more accurate. Try finding you a good target in AM and then verifying it useing IRON MASK set on about 20.

Great, great job!
GRB
Thanks GRB. Actually for my soil and the areas I hunt...the 10 x 14 is probably the most stable coil I have. It separates like an 8" coil...covers a lot of ground for me since I "creep" along...and is also very stable.
As for the settings...at this place it doesn't matter what I try...the interference is like being dead center in a lightning storm. The 10 x 14 definately loves to go super deep in clean ground though doesn't it :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bartman said:
Great finds! Love those Barbers!

Bartman said:
Great finds! Love those Barbers!
Thanks BM

Formula1BMW said:
Hey. Really nice looking finds! They look to be in pretty good condition. I found a Merc and a silver Rosie a couple weeks ago...the Rosie was abour an inch deeper, but in the same whole. I think your Barbers are better condition though. Good luck.
Thanks for responding. That's neat that you found two silvers in one hole. That doesn't happen very much any more.

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Bryce,
I know you probably have added an 8 incher to your arsenal by now. I like the FBS-800 by Minelab. I also like Coiltec's Platypus (8.5x11) It's extremely stable.

Have a good hunt!
GRB

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Wow what a fantastic day you had! Way to go on all the silver and the Injuns too 8) I'm still waiting for a Barber.

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Totally unbelievable! I am totally jealous! Those are some fine coins buddy, congrats big time! :thumbsup:

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man u had a fantastic day. I have had days like that, it is kinda of funny, but when it is so darn hot out and
your not finding anything, and a cool front comes in and looks like rain, BANG!!! You start finding
coins everywhere, good Silver hits, that weren't there a few minutes before. It is strange, but it happens

Those are some really nice coins, I think I would go back and hit that place every year.

HH,Ringfinder

RONC(OR)

Aug 28, 2006
Eugene ,OR
Detector(s) used
Etrac/ X-8-X-1/ /Excalibur 2/AuqaHog ~yayer
Nice finds congrats sometimes when there is lots of interference I will lower my sens to 16 and work my way back up . You would be surprised as to how deep it will go at 16. high sens sometimes can kind of be like diving with your high beems in the fog .again nice finds I luv barbers HH RonC :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LI Tom said:
That is an incrediable hunt in a pounded park!No crummy Mercs or Rosies,Barbers and in pretty sweet shape.Wheaties ,who wants stinkin Wheaties when you can have IH's.What a Day!!
Thanks Tom. That's right...who needs stinkin' Mercs and roosies?...wait a minute....I'll take a merc or roosey ANY day of the week ;D :D ...Heck I like wheaties too :thumbsup:

Johnny Ringo Silver said:
Sweeeet finds buddy!! All the determination and effort pays off once again. I'm glad you got into a sweet spot with the ol' SE and was able to hear the targets!! I would take a day like that over anything. 8)
Thanks JRS. I'll take a day like you had buddy...28 freakin' coins in one hole.....yippee! :thumbsup:

camb1 said:
WTG Bryce. That is one great hunt. I am getting ready for my trip to Florida for 2 1/2 weeks. Got my Excalibur all ready for the beaches. Wish you could go. Plenty of room. Take Care Buddy
Thanks Bruce. I hope you come back with lots of goodies from beach huntin' :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread