NO TRESPASSING signs around public schools. Is this becoming the norm now???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"It's public property"

"My tax dollars pay for that school, so I am free to use the grounds after school hours. Sorry, but no trespassing signs mean squat on public property."

"
If someone tells you you're trespassing, tell them you're not... You're a tax payer, you're part owner !!"

Now, these might have been in fun - but they're pretty blanket statements. See how they hold up when the nice officer arrives.

View attachment 1112179

And exactly the kind of statements I was talking about...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
years ago you could pull into a Parking lot of a school like this

truck_gun_racks.jpg

Sorry Times have changed and they ain't never going back

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have friendly conversations with the police that patrol the schools and have their blessings to MD. I have showed them some of the dangerous trash I remove, and I have looked for a tossed cell phone for them. I also make sure I'm not there when the kids are.
The places the "general" public plays with their dogs, plays sports, & etc. is where I detect when the lest amount of attention will be paid to me, but not at odd hours.

If they ever come up with the a invisible detecting suit sign me up! Cause there's just some people that you can never please and take joy in squashing other people's pleasures.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to sound sexist Msbeepbeep, but I think you may get a little more play when it comes to detecting than a guy would in the same site. Just a fact of nature.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freebird Tim Bottom line, you cannot allow some people to use public school grounds for recreational use and not others. The guy hitting golf balls does a lot more damage to the grass than I ever could. And Muffy pooping everywhere is a health hazard to the kids, but that's allowed as well. As long as I see someone over the age of 18 using a public field, I'll be there as well

Yes they can, and if you look you will see, they may allow some activities and deny other activities. and restrict it to times and conditions.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.......The guy hitting golf balls does a lot more damage to the grass than I ever could. And Muffy pooping everywhere is a health hazard to the kids, .....

Hi Kayakpat, do you know what the difference is between us md'rs, and the "guy hitting golf balls"? Or the difference betwee us and the person letting "muffy poop" ? The difference is: Those 2 users-of-the school didn't go ask permission to do those things. Ie.: no one went to the school district offices and asked:

"Hi. Can I please practice my golf swing on the school turf?"

And no one went to the principle or school district office and asked:

"Hi, can I please let muffy poop on the grass there?"

Because if those persons had gone and asked permission first, then THEY TOO would have been told "no". And then THEY TOO could start forums lamenting their lack of freedoms, unfairness, fears, etc....

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freebird Tim Bottom line, you cannot allow some people to use public school grounds for recreational use and not others. The guy hitting golf balls does a lot more damage to the grass than I ever could. And Muffy pooping everywhere is a health hazard to the kids, but that's allowed as well. As long as I see someone over the age of 18 using a public field, I'll be there as well

Yes they can, and if you look you will see, they may allow some activities and deny other activities. and restrict it to times and conditions.

Until I see a sign stating No Metal Detectors....Im hunting it..(deleted by mod for language) Ive hunted fields when they were doing soccor practice...never heard a peep

Things must be different in your location...here in my part of the world..about 90% of the schools are opened to the public..the only signs that are out there are NO DRUGS or Motorized Vehicles...and thats it

not to mention....the only GOOD fields are now pretty much practice fields or the old HS has converted to a Elem or Middle school. I have went to fields that I could tell was a playing field and very nice turf...those fields I dont even touch...to clarify the fields I hunt..most of them are covered in trash and weeds..and havent been a playing field in 40 + years

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please watch the language_ misspellings to bypass the censor still violates our rules.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted school grounds after hours and in summer for 15 yrs. Never had a problem. Been run out of 2 parks and one road tear out....thats all.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see this topic come up many times. The person who does more damage than we do, gets access and we don't. The dog that ruins the grass but we don't. I agree, but our reputation and good will is our strength. Not to be decided by dogs and others that are tearing up parks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I see this topic come up many times. The person who does more damage than we do, gets access and we don't. The dog that ruins the grass but we don't. I agree, but our reputation and good will is our strength. Not to be decided by dogs and others that are tearing up parks.

What makes you think that those other park users that "tear up parks" and dog walkers who let their dogs poop, "got access" to do those things? Do you think those actions of theirs were "allowed" ? If they had gone into city hall asking "hi, can I leave my dog's poop on the grass please?", or "hi, can I tear up the park with my sports activity?", what do you think the answer to those persons would be? They would certainly be told "no".

So what's the difference then, between them and md'rs? The difference is: we md'rs seem to think we need permission, while those other users (who you correctly note get away with it), HAVEN'T asked permission.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting discussion. I don't hunt schools but I do hunt around libraries. I always thought it was free game but now I wonder. I was never stopped by the cops and they have gone by about 100 times. My daughter goes to a local school so would I be trespassing there? I think that I would probably just ask permission from a school and get a "hall pass".

Anyway, it's great hearing the different views on this subject

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All school properties near me are all fenced in now and have no trespassing signs.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Interesting discussion. I don't hunt schools but I do hunt around libraries. I always thought it was free game but now I wonder. I was never stopped by the cops and they have gone by about 100 times. My daughter goes to a local school so would I be trespassing there? I think that I would probably just ask permission from a school and get a "hall pass". ........

scrappy, I love your post. Because it perfectly illustrates the self-fulfilling chain-of-events. It has all the elements involved:

1) There's a particular public spot that you detect, already.

2) You've never had an issue or a problem. In fact, cops pass you by and could apparently care less.

3) But now you get online, and see discussion of "legalities", "bootings", "laws", etc...

4) So you start to think "gee, I better ask permission" (because "afterall, I don't want to get into any trouble")

Therefore, even though this matter never crossed your mind before, and even though you haven't had any issues or problems, yet the VERY FACT OF A DISCUSSION on the matter, compells you to go ask, "Just to be sure". And while you may get a "yes" , but on the other hand, you might also get a "no" (from those very same people who, prior to this, as you have seen, never seemed to care less). Hence the self-fulfilling vicious loop.

And your post is a perfect example of that. The mere reading of any hassles causes it. Like shark attacks: A person reads of a shark attack on a swimmer. So he therefore "fears swimming" evermore on the beach. Nevermind that shark attacks are extremely rare.

So it's almost as if we md'rs are our own worst enemy. Great to exchange stories, warnings, garner solidarity, etc.... But then the downside is, those very info-exchanges often serve to bolster the VERY THING they sought to avoid. Doh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread