Nobody answered this yet

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if you set up the dredge like normal but put the dredge nozzle in a giant tub (tupperware) like a hopper and shovel the material into the tub? I know it defeats the purpose of a dredge but I was just trying to figure out new ways to move a lot of material without a hi-banker

I don't know why you would want to shovel. But you would need a dredge with a suction nozzle and not a jet log to work your tub, due to loss of suction with the jet log if your hose is not continuously submerged.

You could always use a Hydroforce nozzle and not have to shovel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mazzy74

Jun 27, 2012
I'd have no problem keeping the water in the tub. I was planning on submerging it a few feet underwater and with the air capability on my dredge, I'd just dive a few feet. So no need to switch out my power jet

OP
OP
M

mazzy74

Jun 27, 2012
And the reason y I would shovel is simple. It's not illegal to shovel in pa. Just to dredge

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have no problem keeping the water in the tub. I was planning on submerging it a few feet underwater and with the air capability on my dredge, I'd just dive a few feet. So no need to switch out my power jet

Well then, the nozzle will definitely be capable of vacuuming material out of a submerged tub.
icon_thumleft.gif

And the reason y I would shovel is simple. It's not illegal to shovel in pa. Just to dredge

"But judge show me the law that says; no dredging material out of a tub in the creek" :tongue3:

Last edited:

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Believe you'll find it's illegal to dig in creek and rivers

At least most places and its a much harsh than a dredging fine
I no In tn ga and alabama its a pretty seriousvoffience

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
At about 5:30 in this video my buddy uses a system kinda like what you are talking about. This way he kept out of the 35 degree cold water and stayed dry, and he classified the dirt down for better recovery.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
please Note: I do not believe this applies in State Parks, or State Game land.
My understanding like national parks, even Panning is not allowed there.

Untitledsw.jpg
RECREATIONAL PROSPECTING IN THE COMMONWEALTH’S WATERWAYS
BACKGROUND

Recreational prospecting is the search for precious metals, gemstones and semi-precious minerals. In
Pennsylvania, hunting for gold is the most common form of recreational prospecting. Prospecting
enthusiasts often hunt for gold at public rights of way where bridges cross gold-bearing streams using a
shovel and gold pan. Prospecting equipment can be found at hobby stores, rock shops, metal detector
retailers and hardware stores in areas where gold hunting is popular.
METHODS AND EQUIPMENT NOT REQUIRING PERMITS
 Non-motorized pans, shovels, pan or dish-type hand classifiers and picks.
 Non-motorized sluice boxes, sieves, concentrators and mini-rocker boxes.
METHODS AND EQUIPMENT REQUIRING PERMITS
 Suction dredges with a nozzle no larger than four inches in diameter.
 High-bankers or suction dredge/high-banker combinations with a water intake no larger than two
and one-half inches (inside) diameter, which are operated entirely below the ordinary high water
line.PERMITTING
If using a suction dredge or high-banker, first apply for a permit from the appropriate Department of
Environmental Protection (DEP) regional office. Applicants are encouraged to have a pre-application
meeting with DEP to discuss the nature and scope of their proposed activities before applying for this
permit. To ensure that the pre-application meeting is as productive as possible for both parties,
applicants must be prepared to discuss the following issues:
 The location of the proposed dredging.
 The type of dredging equipment.
 An estimate of the amount of material that will be dredged.
 A plan for disposing of any excess material.
 The proximity of any public drinking water sources.
When applying for a permit, applicants should also consider:
 Stocked or wild trout streams with the following seasonal restrictions:
Stocked trout streams March 1 – June 15
Wild trout streams Oct. 1 – Dec. 31
Lake Erie tributaries Sept. 1 – April 30
The use of chemicals or other contaminants is prohibited.
OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER
The removal of precious metals, gemstones or minerals from submerged lands of this commonwealth
in quantities which are commercially usable or marketable in conjunction with any permitted dredging
activity is subject to the royalty and agreement provisions of the Dam Safety and Encroachments Act.
DEP’s regional offices can help the applicant determine if they are prospecting on submerged lands.http://www.elibrary.dep.state.pa.us/dsweb/Get/Document-90723/3150-FS-DEP4099.pdf

http://www.elibrary.dep.state.pa.us/dsweb/Get/Document-90723/3150-FS-DEP4099.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mazzy74

Jun 27, 2012
Thanks Jeff. I appreciate the info. I coulda sworn the governor just passed something that allowed prospecting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't know Mazzy , I'll see if I can google it.

first I gotta see who our Governor is :tongue3:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as far as Corbet nothing recent comes up

but as far as state forests panning does

State Forest land is host to an almost endless list of other recreational uses. These include astronomy, dog sledding, gold panning, jogging, hang gliding, ice-skating, motorcycle riding, orienteering, photography, rock climbing, rappelling, sleigh riding, sledding, snowboarding, snowshoeing, spelunking, swimming, snorkeling and tubing. All these and more are permitted uses of state forest land.

But detecting or dredging isn't on the list

PA*DCNR*-*Other Recreation

OP
OP
M

mazzy74

Jun 27, 2012
Astro, that's pretty much my idea. I guess I can take my tub and put a screen over it as well to classify

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread