NOOB HERE

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok after many many months of reading and debating I finally got an F2. I happened to see on on Ebay and a great price for a Buy it now. It came with the 4" and 8" coil and headphones. I didn't have the money to pop on a Garrett pointer but someone let me in on the cheap one that you can get from Harbor freight. It was 15.99 so I said what the heck. I have not had the chance to test it out and do my first dig as of yet. I have read the manual and some helpful tips on coin shooting and some relic hunting. I have a test area that I am wanting to try. My apartment building is an old 1908 house converted into 6 apts. There is what looks like a foundation wall on the side that is full of dirt. I have no idea what used to be there or anything but know its full of stuff more than likely trash and junk. How should I set the MD for digging that area. Its probably about 5' wide by about 15' long. Any helo on that issue or anything else I would greatly appreciate it...

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Greetings from Boston. Welcome to TNet. Suggestion is t search the EXTERIOR of that wall and any remaining dirt/grass areas. That is where the goods will be. Suggestion is to join a Club near you. PA is loaded with them and you will meet guys from your area and gain more info on where to go digging ok. Also there are HUNDREDS of guys here from yoour area as well so your in the right place here ok. I look forward to your future Posts. PEACE:RONB

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turn on the F2, turn up sensitivity as high as it will go without hearing false beeps. And start hunting.

Hit the disc button to disc out iron if you start digging lots of iron junk like nails. But dig every signal with all gold and silver segments active (only iron disc-ed out). I would run all segments active (no disc no notch) myself and just hear the iron. That isn't that big an area so for that age you want to pull up everything.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok after many many months of reading and debating I finally got an F2. I happened to see on on Ebay and a great price for a Buy it now. It came with the 4" and 8" coil and headphones. I didn't have the money to pop on a Garrett pointer but someone let me in on the cheap one that you can get from Harbor freight. It was 15.99 so I said what the heck. I have not had the chance to test it out and do my first dig as of yet. I have read the manual and some helpful tips on coin shooting and some relic hunting. I have a test area that I am wanting to try. My apartment building is an old 1908 house converted into 6 apts. There is what looks like a foundation wall on the side that is full of dirt. I have no idea what used to be there or anything but know its full of stuff more than likely trash and junk. How should I set the MD for digging that area. Its probably about 5' wide by about 15' long. Any helo on that issue or anything else I would greatly appreciate it...

Congrats! The F2 is a great machine that should not be under estimated despite its low price. I have found that it was deeper than my Vaquero in good ground & had better audio as well.The 4" sniper coil has awesome separation in trashy sites & great depth for its size. I would run wide open (no disc) & ignore the iron tone (if you don't plan to dig iron). This will lessen chances of masking due to adjacent targets. Play with sens, but Iike to leave it as high as EMI conditions will allow. In super trashy sites, lowering sens can actually help with separation as well. HH, Scott

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I ordered a Cen-Tech pointer since my package did not include 1. It was recommended to me and I said what the heck till I get a better1. Now to get the cheaper stuff gathered then off to dig land. I will try the 4" one out for sure as a starter in the area I want to hit first.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, don't discount the little 4" coil - it will amaze you with what you can find with it that the 8" coil can't see due to trash masking.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, NY! :hello:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started detecting May 2014 and dug over $400 in clad without using a pin pointer. I had a BH 2 months in, but it only had a 1/2" range. I could find the coin faster with my hands so the useless pin pointer just stayed in the van. I now have a Garret Pro Pointer and won't leave home without it. If the area is as trashy as you think and being that it's a small patch, I'd hunt it using the 4" coil. I hardly ever hunt without discrimination, I'd discriminate out the iron and foil. This still allows you to find all coins and precious metals. You may not hear a small gold earring if you disc out foil, but I play the odds and what are the odds that there is a gold earring in the 5' x 15' plot? Swing low and slow.

Last edited:

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
It really is amazing just how good the little F2 can be. 4" coil is great in tight spots, but use the thing with any good quality DD coil no matter what size, and it will blow your mind how well it can do. The unit lacks ground balance and the DD coils help in that situation. Fisher offers a 11" DD coil, but they can be found from NEL or other after market coil suppliers. I have used the NEL Sharpshooter on mine and its worked out great.
Back to the original question. Go all metal, but go at different angles of attack since its so small an area. Go down, then across then diagonal, it will surprise you the different targets you get or how targets change, when you test them at different angles.
Step around your targets, this will help in pinpointing, ghosting and target identification.
Good Luck!!
Opie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread