Noob Seeking Wisdom! :D

ScreenwriterChic

Sep 3, 2013
Nashville, TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys!:hello:

My mother has decided to take up metal detecting as her hobby (which means it will now be mine as well since she cannot drive) and has placed the ardent task on MY shoulders to find her a good metal detector for her money.

Her desire is to find coins, relics, and other items as we live in a city steeped with Civil War history. Personally, I don't think we need anything that will take us further than a foot down, but I don't want to waltz into WallyWorld and spend her money on a piece of crap.

Is there a detector that has a screen we can read and is relatively easy to use? I have to make things easy on her...

Thanks in advance for all of your help! I hope we can post some really cool things in the near future.:angel7:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ScreenwriterChic

ScreenwriterChic

Sep 3, 2013
Nashville, TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are Fisher F5's any good? They look like something I can teach her to handle... everything is very visual on the screen. Have any of you guys used this before? Any issues with it?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
OMG - I feel so so sorry for you!
killingme.gif
All kidding aside - I would probably get (suggest) to your Mom the very same MD you are using. Why? She will have a ton of questions during her "learning curve" with both MD'ng and her new MD. You already know about your MD - so all you will have to deal with is her "learning curve." Let's be honest - 90% of MD'ng is knowing how to listen to your MD - make your life easier. Hey, that is my 2 cents - take it or leave it!
killingme.gif

Whatever MD you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

OP
OP
ScreenwriterChic

ScreenwriterChic

Sep 3, 2013
Nashville, TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
OMG - I feel so so sorry for you!
killingme.gif
All kidding aside - I would probably get (suggest) to your Mom the very same MD you are using. Why? She will have a ton of questions during her "learning curve" with both MD'ng and her new MD. You already know about your MD - so all you will have to deal with is her "learning curve." Let's be honest - 90% of MD'ng is knowing how to listen to your MD - make your life easier. Hey, that is my 2 cents - take it or leave it!
killingme.gif

Whatever MD you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

I'm sorry, maybe my last post was confusing. I have never done this before, hence the thread being labeled Noob Seeking Wisdom.:laughing7:

My mom has wanted to take this up as a hobby, and I'm helping her do that. I will be the one driving her to sites and doing the digging when she finds something. If I had a metal detector, I would gladly let her use mine to save her some money. But I don't and I don't know where to start.

I've been researching and was wondering about the Fisher F5?

Thanks so much for your help!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of budget do you have for this? Keep in mind that you'll want a pin pointer, digger, and all the typical accessories for making recoveries. Sounds like she has a great deal. Get driven where she wants and has someone else do the dirty work! Where do I sign up?

OP
OP
ScreenwriterChic

ScreenwriterChic

Sep 3, 2013
Nashville, TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of budget do you have for this? Keep in mind that you'll want a pin pointer, digger, and all the typical accessories for making recoveries. Sounds like she has a great deal. Get driven where she wants and has someone else do the dirty work! Where do I sign up?

Lol I know, right?? I've been doing research and it looks like we are going with the Fisher F5 and a pin pointer. I found a site that she can get the F5 for $499. Is that a good deal???

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would take that $500 and get each of you a metal detector. By you having your own detector, you will have something to do (besides rest) in between your mom’s targets.

A lot of people like the Garrett Ace metal detector for a beginning detector. I have had mine for over a year now and still liking it. They are easy to learn on.

Down the road, you can always up grade to a nicer detector if you feel the need.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I know, right?? I've been doing research and it looks like we are going with the Fisher F5 and a pin pointer. I found a site that she can get the F5 for $499. Is that a good deal???

Sorry I know you keep trying to get an answer on the F5 &
not getting it.

Unfortunately I don't know much about it other then to say Fishers are good detectors,

& the price seems to be Right

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$500 can put you into a decent detector, especially second hand. Some of them look like brand new.
The idea is to make sure you covered all the bases before you fork over the money for a detector you've never used.
There are metal detector reviews online for just about every detector out, give them a read.
Also watch you tube videos to get an idea what that F5 and other units are capable of.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never used one, but I have heard good things concerning the Teknetics Euroteck Pro detector. I think that it runs around $219. I have heard that it is easy to use and read. I think that this detector along with a Pro pointer would be a very good choice. If she didn't care so much about a readout I would lean more toward a Tesoro Compradre.

I realize that you need an answer on the F5. I have an F4 and I am pleased with its performance, but I normally don't use it. I traded about a $250 detector for it. Dealers prices are going to be about the same. For the price range, If I was able to to get a used one for about $150-200 less than a new one then I would go for it.

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't know anything about The F5 but in looking for a detector for a lady to swing compare the weight of it to equal in value machines. I recently purchased a Minelab 505 X-terra mainly because of the lightweight design of it and I love it.iIts easy to use and has a large display aging eyes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread