Noob with a question

texasphil

Jan 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i was a kid playing in a creek i found black sand, Pyrite and quartz i was told "it was fools gold by an adult and that there was no gold around here "and havent thought of it untill i found out these are some indicators of gold deposits this aera has not been prospected it has no other geologic or topographic indicators and no gold has ever been found in the area is this evidence alone worth checking the site out

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not so fast Reed. There is gold TX. Llano River, Rio Grande...just gotta go lookin'

Mine it and recycle it!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea the Llano is Zooka's old stomping grounds & it's been hammered, but still if he's looking where no gold has ever been found then I'll stick with the "No" just because it is Texas. :occasion14:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL, OK point taken Reed...it is Texas after all!

Mine it and recycle it!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i was a kid playing in a creek i found black sand, Pyrite and quartz i was told "it was fools gold by an adult and that there was no gold around here "and havent thought of it untill i found out these are some indicators of gold deposits this aera has not been prospected it has no other geologic or topographic indicators and no gold has ever been found in the area is this evidence alone worth checking the site out

Your evidence all points to NO gold in that area.
And since you are a noob I wouldn't recommend you spend your time looking where no gold has been found.

However, if you know what fine or flour gold looks like in the pan, and you know about getting down as close to bedrock as you can to get your samples, and it's not too far out of your way, then you could at least satisfy your curiosity by running a few pans.

With that being said, your time prospecting is always better spent in areas known to contain gold. Lots of new prospectors get discouraged and quit if they don't find any gold the first few times out.

Go for the gold
GG~

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GG is on the money. The Oldtimers left gold--find a great old goldfield that held coarse gold and get there somehow--you'll have a much better chance of finding gold you can see.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread