🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nor'easter Uncovers More WW I Munitions on Surf City, NJ Beaches

Nor'easter Uncovers More WW I Munitions on Surf City, NJ Beaches

by KYW's David Madden

Just days before the unofficial start of summer, Surf City, NJ beaches were littered once again with World War I era munitions. But officials say the beaches will remain open.

This month’s nor’easter (see related story) churned up the same stuff that had been dumped in the ocean a long time ago and started resurfacing last year.

Khaalid Walls, with the US Army Corps of Engineers, says about a dozen items surfaced this time:

"They were World War I era munitions -- basically, boosters and fuses."

It was not immediately clear whether the items were uncovered by the erosion or had been deposited along with deep-water sand being dredged up for the beach replenishment.

A section of beach was shut down for two months before last year’s tourist season. Not this time, though.

But officials are prohibiting digging deeper than one foot deep into the sand, and you can’t bring a metal detector on the beach.

Walls also suggests that anyone seeing something that looks suspicious tell a lifeguard about it. The town can call in a Corps of Engineers staffer who will be stationed in Surf City all summer just to handle those concerns.

Source: KYW1060

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
Re: Nor'easter Uncovers More WW I Munitions on Surf City, NJ Beaches

What a crock. Kids can bury themselves up to their neck but you can't detect.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Foilman said:
What a crock. Kids can bury themselves up to their neck but you can't detect.

WHy would you want to ?

Attachments

• ship bottom.jpg
    ship bottom.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 273

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax

Well since they have gone over it with probably much better machine than mine, I am sure it is now safer than all the other beaches, because if you think this is the only place that this stuff can be and is found, well i have no comment. I would just say everyone should always be careful when they are digging no matter what beach they are on. If it looks like munitions it probably is, leave it alone. I would venture to say unless people start beating on caps with chisels nothing is gonna happen, but there is a slight danger and people do dumb things. If it is bigger than a beer can I am not digging it anyway.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Where do I apply to be the guy that hangs out at Surf City all season in case munitions surface? Not a bad job to have. Work on my tan, detect the other beaches that are open and get paid to do it...lol.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread