where to hunt in North Jersey(parks,lakes,ballfields,etc.) without permission?

jerzyhuntr

May 30, 2008
Passaic County.NJ
Detector(s) used
DFX-300
Hi,I am new to the hobby of MD'n,just bought a DFXD300 a few months ago and im just getting used to the machine,was wondering where in NNJ or any close locations can i go hunt without a permit,asked to leave etc.! latetly i've been in a few county and local parks in the late afternoon and weekends when the parks employees arent' around and hunt,but sometimes i get asked to leave by the police! i understand there are not any laws or city ordinances pertaining to MD'n in city parks or county parks, but there is about digging a holein the ground! any help here???

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I never run into the problem, but I always carry a bag for trash so I can show what I am doing. If asked what I am doing, I just say I am looking for coins and cleaning up some trash. Then I show the trash bag. It is hard for someone to stop you from cleaning trash.

Make sure that you are very careful with holes. Fill them all in and make it look like you were never there.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never had a problem with any of the parks in NJ. The park employees usually just ask me what I've found and I show them the trash first then any other items of interest. I do stay away from Union county since I've heard they are pretty tough on people detecting their parks. Usually stay in Middlesex and Essex Counties where I live and work.

I do make it a point that if I see a park ranger before I start detecting I approach them to make sure they are cool with it. I've found that when I give them the respect of asking they let me do it and give me pointers on where to look. I found an old tavern location this way.

When in a park just stay away from any game fields especially when it is in season. Even though I fill all my holes they really frown on any holes being dug that may cause a turned ankle.

Some of the state parks do require permits but they are really easy to get. Just go into the Rangers station and ask for one. I like these parks because for some reason most people don't want to ask so there are fewer hunter competing with you for the finds.

In the last few years of hunting I only had two people ask me to leave. Once at a park and another time at a school. Both times they were not employees or police but just people that did not like that I was there. I tried to talk with them and explain my hobby but they were older and did not want to hear it so I just said I was sorry and left. Even though they had no right to ask me to leave I never want someone to complain to an official that may cause a problem. Always best just to leave and come back another day.

Good luck and happy hunting.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread