North Fork American River

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_1366.JPG

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_1383.JPG
Do any panning?

Here's yesterday take. I work up to the high water mark and found three small pockets about one foot x six inches covered with fist sized cobble. I credit Lanny in AB for the tip on looking for that size cobble with that size of gold.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 949922

Here's yesterday take. I work up to the high water mark and found three small pockets about one foot x six inches covered with fist sized cobble. I credit Lanny in AB for the tip on looking for that size cobble with that size of gold.
Nice Take! I lived in Fair Oaks in the later 80s and me and a friend from work would go in there and pan some in the that same looking area if memory serve me, but I know much of the river looks that way. I recall allot of ticks in areas that looked like that as I had Vizsla dog that was a companion back then and had to clean her of those dang little critters before we headed back home. It's sure a great place to get some sunshine and spend a little time outdoors, even if you don't find allot of paydirt.

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How's the gold hunting in CO?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How's the gold hunting in CO?
Not as good as California. It's here and there, but I'm thinking there'd be allot in your pan if it wasn't 97% flour size particles. I think if you worked steady for 5 days you would get what you washed in a day with your pan. I lived in the mountains along the Arkansas river and that's where I looked for gold back then and its there, but you will need to work for it. I've been told in other places in Colorado are better.

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
]The gold I get is usually pretty small as I work higher up from the waterline. Further upstream about 5 miles the gold gets chunkier. I am just waiting for the river level to lower after the rains and then I will be searching out the bigger pieces. Here is a pic from January when the water was lower. Mineral Bar 1-25-14.jpg

Attachments

• Mineral Bar 1-25-14.jpg
    Mineral Bar 1-25-14.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 145

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure ain't what a washed pan in Colorado looks like. Out here it be 25 times more black sand and you'd need a close up shot to show the few tiny specks of gold in it. But to give us some credit some streams are better then others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread