North Texas finds---can you help with age?

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frisco hotel fob.jpg Plainview bus token.jpg Found the token at a house teardown, on the surface. The back says Buss check, spelled like that! Love that the phone number is 219. Also found the hotel fob, but can't find any info on the Frisco Hotel in Sherman, TX. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! I see an article in the 23 Apr 1907 Fort Worth Star-Telegram that a John Aldridge had a liquor license for the Frisco Hotel in Sherman. The place could well have been in business for years before and after, although the 1901 Sherman, TX City Directory does not list it.

I don't find the Gilbert token listed in the TX books or on tokencatalog.com. Could you take a better-lit photo of the obverse and reverse and post them on that site? Or post the pics here and give permission and I can get them to that site. Buss Check??? I wonder if that was a dray check or maybe a passenger ticket for an omnibus(s). It needs some more research...

John in the Great 208

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
1910 Census shows Clair L. Gilbert as proprietor of a livery barn in Plainview. His occupation was not shown in 1900 and in 1920 he had moved to California.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
baylorhall

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thanks for that info! I couldn't find anything. I'll try to get better pics and post them in that site.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, and BTW - with him operating a livery barn, that token is most likely a type of dray check. He hired drivers to haul freight and stuff around the town (transfer). For instance, when the train unloaded, the driver would load up a shipment and take it to a store or other recipient. Since freight drivers weren't necessarily the most trusted types, tokens were used to avoid having the drivers handle cash. Usually the arrangement was the end customer would know in advance that there was a shipment coming, so he would stop by the livery barn and make payment. He would receive the token which would then be given to the driver after the delivery. The driver would then turn it in to the livery office to show that the delivery had been made and that he was due his pay. Not having been there in person, I think this was the arrangement anyway...
John in the Great 208

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
The Gilbert token is listed in the Atwood-Coffee transportation catalog as TX750E with a catalog value of $400.

OP
OP
baylorhall

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gilbert token is listed in the Atwood-Coffee transportation catalog as TX750E with a catalog value of $400.
That would be great! Do you have that catalog? When I look online I can't find a picture of it. Thanks!

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The Atwood-Coffee catalog is not online and, at least in the older edition I have, this one is not pictured in it. So there's your chance to have your piece as "the picture on the Internet" by posting it to tokencatalog.com
John in the Great 208

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread