Northern New Jersey hunters? Maplewood, oranges, short hills, summit?

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Did any of you go out in 2014 together or individually in Morris County?
MuckyBottles - did you get out on that land that is adjacent to Jockey Hollow? If you go out this Spring '15 please let me know - I live 10 minutes from there and would love to help search the area. I've got a couple spots picked out to try as soon as it gets warm.

Those couple of spots aren't IN Jockey Hollow - correct? It's difficult at best to do any digging there because of it being a protected historical landmark.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those couple of spots aren't IN Jockey Hollow - correct? It's difficult at best to do any digging there because of it being a protected historical landmark.

That's right DaytonaRacer, sorry for any confusion. The land referenced last year was not IN Jockey Hollow. MuckyBottles said "...including my parents 5 acre back yard which buts up against Jockey Hollow.". I was just curious if he or any of the others who commented on the thread last year actually got out there and searched. If they did I'd love to hear if they found anything interesting.

I'm really just itching to get out in 2015, so I'm trying to live vicariously through members' experiences from last year.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's right DaytonaRacer, sorry for any confusion. The land referenced last year was not IN Jockey Hollow. MuckyBottles said "...including my parents 5 acre back yard which buts up against Jockey Hollow.". I was just curious if he or any of the others who commented on the thread last year actually got out there and searched. If they did I'd love to hear if they found anything interesting.

I'm really just itching to get out in 2015, so I'm trying to live vicariously through members' experiences from last year.

I have searched my parents yard..which is in and around the Jockey Hollow area...matter of fact, most of Warren, Middlesex, Morris and Hunterdon counties are gold mines...I am in a quandary however, still trying to find my first NY colonial copper. Found a them in Jersey, just not NY

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow my thread is still going? It just showed up on my subscribed screen...

Anyway, how about Spring '15. Who want to hunt after the thaw?

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Scrappy! Yeah I joined this forum recently (I'm more active with GPAA sites) and found your thread because of the Jockey Hollow references; I live close to there. After May of last year no one talked about any amazing finds in the Morris County area, and I was hoping someone would talk about their finds. If no one's found treasure in Morris County then the treasure is still out there to find! I'm up for a search after the weather breaks, and I've got a couple of places in mind.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Scrappy! Yeah I joined this forum recently (I'm more active with GPAA sites) and found your thread because of the Jockey Hollow references; I live close to there. After May of last year no one talked about any amazing finds in the Morris County area, and I was hoping someone would talk about their finds. If no one's found treasure in Morris County then the treasure is still out there to find! I'm up for a search after the weather breaks, and I've got a couple of places in mind.

I'm down for a spring hunt..people found treasure in Morris county..lips are sealed

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I work in Rockaway, and get out sometimes at lunchtime and look for good places to detect. The abundance of old mines can make things more difficult. My best find from the area is a cannonball which I believe to be Rev. War period. The number of 19th century cellar holes in the area is staggering. They're everywhere!

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Count me in, too! Spring is usually a very busy time for me between work and my racing schedule, but I'm sure I can steal away for hunt or three.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work in Rockaway, and get out sometimes at lunchtime and look for good places to detect. The abundance of old mines can make things more difficult. My best find from the area is a cannonball which I believe to be Rev. War period. The number of 19th century cellar holes in the area is staggering. They're everywhere!

Township? Telemark? I agree after living in Morris county for 27 years, you never run out of places to hunt, as I previously mentioned, I found 4 4lb cannonballs in my parents backyard, plenty of colonial period items. I have since retired hunting that place, I teach my nieces and nephew on thanksgiving how to metal detect, I want them to enjoy the hobby and the treasures that my parents have on their land...

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Township? Telemark? I agree after living in Morris county for 27 years, you never run out of places to hunt, as I previously mentioned, I found 4 4lb cannonballs in my parents backyard, plenty of colonial period items. I have since retired hunting that place, I teach my nieces and nephew on thanksgiving how to metal detect, I want them to enjoy the hobby and the treasures that my parents have on their land...

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

How is the ground in Morris county Muck? Essex is completely shrouded in ice covered snow. I guess the good thing is it's insulating the ground and should be soft(ish) by the time the snow disappears.

stevenc90

Tenderfoot
Feb 1, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to join you guys in a group hunt .... if you dont mind... i am new and from Belleville NJ

Pleas message me if you are getting a group hunt or just want a buddy to hunt will i good to go anytime...

thanks Steven

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread