NOSTALGIA - REMEMBER WHEN

S

stefen

Remembering from my childhood on the dairy / agri-farm...

Party-ine telephone with 1 short and 3 long rings....

Mom telling the nosy people to get off of the line...most didn't speak yiddish...the tone was enough...

A big black cumbersome phone that seemed like it weighted tons...

A rope strung between the house mudroom to the barn and to the outhouse (schitthaus)

Coal oil lanterns that stunk to the high heavens...used to mingle and covered the ripe and pleasant odors of the above mentioned schitthaus...

Using cheesecloth to filter straw, hay, flies and cow crap out of the milk pail...

Skimming the butter cream and churning butter...not by choice...

Finding nests in the barn and having egg fights...(never had a bacon fight)

Drinking from a hand pump over a cistern (which was a stones throw to the again mentioned schitthaus...)

Chinking ice from the ice truck...

Skipping rocks in the Blacklick Creek while trying to hit a cottonmouth snake...

Slingshooting the bulls crown jewels...(also known as the hangy-down-thingy)...(see use of belt below)

Blackberry picking...

Playing on the iced over cemetary pond during recess and missing a few hours of class...

Going to the principals office and pre-selecting the paddle of choice...

Repeating the same process after school...dad had only 1 belt...some choice...

Not learning much from that lesson...

Catching turtles in the pond...

Finding an occassional arrowhead in the fields...

Making and flying our own kites from split wood frames, newspapers and paste...(that lumpy thick white stuff)

Rushing the Huxter Wagon for candy...(old converted school bus right out of the Grapes of Wrath movie)

Cleaning the chicken coupe and getting a bad case of chicken lice...

Taking a bath in a galvanized tub full of warm water and a splash of kerosene...and lye clothes washing soap...to get rid of the lice...

Climbing the oak Tree next to the corral and getting re-infested with more lice...chickens couped in the trees...

Taking a bath (2) in a galvanized tub full of now cold water and a splash of kerosene...and more lye clothes washing soap...to get rid of the lice again...

And on day 2...:laughing7:

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Stefen
Yes, I can remember many of those events and Iā€™ll add a few of my own:
Listening in to the other party on the party lineā€”until they noticed the reception was poor due to some kid eavesdropping.
My girlfriendā€™s telephone number: Wheeling 230
Tire swing in the yard.
Camping in our cow pasture; sometimes during a storm and wondering where the cows were.
Coloring our butter with a yellow gel so as to appear as ā€˜store bought' (during WW II)
Ration books
Creating play ā€˜fortsā€™ in and under stacks of hay bales.
Priming our well pump.
I used a BB gun on the bull; same result (and on the frogs in the pond).
Making pull taffy and homemade donuts.
Watching the Colgate Comedy Hour and many other great shows
Discussing what each of us did during the day while having a family dinner in the dining roomā€”without the distraction of phones ringing; texting, TV and etc.
Thinking technology had ā€˜peaked outā€™ after I heard about the first Thermofax machine.
At least my memory still worksā€”but thatā€™s another subject.
Donā€¦ā€¦..

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
All of that and more :
Anything we got in our hands we threw at each other . Darts made of corn cobs and 3 chicken feathers (some fresh plucked from a live chicken) that we threw at each other .
I used a .22LR on the bull's jewels on a dare (disatrous results).
10 oz Coke for 3 cents before the State put a 2 cent 'pop tax' on it for the benefit of our education . Joe Palooka comic wrapped Double Bubble gum at 2 for a penny . Moon Pies for 2 cents each .
I could , and will , add a lot more if this thread continues .
Right now this 'old fart' is tired and is going to bed .......................................................:laughing7:

OP
OP
S

stefen

Didnt have your cookies and nappy, didja son...

Remember the corn cob darts very well...

Use to get a quarter every Saturday...walked to the village Theater...saw a double feature, toons & new reel fir a dime...bought a popcorn and Big Daddy for a nickel each and a coca cola for a nickel on the walk back...got kicked out a few times for throwing flattened popcorn boxes...our form of pre-frisbees...

We were considered the gentry cuz we had rolled TP in the schitthaus...didn't change the atmosphere just provided better grip on the proffered goodies than slick colored newspaper and catalogs...

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Trading cards (horses were my favorites)
Regular cards attached by clothes pins to my bike frame deflected by the spokes to create a 'cool' muffler sound.
Culling dad's change for coins I didn't have in my Whitman Albums whenever he'd come back from 'the city'.
In the winter, waiting to hear the fire station's alarm go off at 7:30 indicating no school due to blizzard conditions.
Knowing the names of everyone in my 8th grade class--all ten of us.
Don,.......

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember being taught there were 9 planets in our solar system, that changed to 8 either late 2011, or early 2012, then back to 9 again.

Someone has too much time on their hands :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

stefen

Got the bright idea to take a number of shotgun shells apart removing the lead shot and leaving the primer and powder intact...

After taking a knife and shortening the paper shell to just above the powder line, placed the shell in a vice and hit the vice creating a load explosion...

Suddenly I was airborn...

Damn, did my butt hurt from being booted by the old man...

Did I learn a lesson from that experience...?

Yeah.

Sure did.

Changed to 22 shells...:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stefen

A few years before my dad died, my brother and I were sitting with dad in the dining room.

He was telling us some of the stuff he did as a kid...

Then he began telling us what we thought nobody knew about...

It seems that a close friend of mine told his dad (my dads partner) who in turn told mine...:BangHead:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
running water you ran out to the well and back in with a bucket
outhouse in winter i made sure someone else was in first ( stainless steel seat)
top ringer on washer with hand crank, not for putting your little bros hand in
hickory stick and feed sack string an safty pin fer fishin
and my grandma's stove that you filled with wood in wee hrs of mournin to make coffe an a side of eggs an biscuts dabbed in molasses

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rember when a dime bag was a dime!

OP
OP
S

stefen

Remember the wash machine wringer...so does my sister...

We had an actual real painted wooden toilet seat...didn't matter if the lid was left up...just as many flies...and on hot days, the stink could be sliced with a butter knife...

Do remember stopping on the way to school each day to pick up a friend...his breakfast was a slice of bread soaked in coffee...never thought much of being a pretty poor family...

School lunch was a slice of bread wrapped in wax paper and a soup-filled thermos with a weenie on a string...by lunch time the weenie was pulled out and placed in the bread...remember the soup always tasted like weenie water...didn't have the money for a lunch bucket so everything was wrapped in an yesterdays newspaper...

OP
OP
S

stefen

Remember the horse drawn ice wagon in the village and the driver walking from one house to the next and the horse following...can't do that with a truck...

And the Huxter Wagon coming to the farm on Saturday mornings...a converted school bus painted white, and with a platform on the rear with cages of chicken, ducks and rabbits...all traded for food goods...

Carried basics like flour, sugar, coffee, tea, some spices, candy and sodas...cigarets, pipe tobacco and chew...

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember when Poorhunter was Knee high to a Duck? He would run around grabbing everybody's Beer, Gettin himself sloshed.... :occasion14:

Scan_Pic0002.jpg

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so your still knee high to a duck sounding like donald duck ?

OP
OP
S

stefen

Plished his panties too...you wear the stain well...

Y'all be smart to show a head shot only the next time...

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shirt's wet too, Drinking too fast.. You need yer eyes cleaned with alcohol so you can see? :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

stefen

Y'all have a hole in yur chin...dribbling fool....:laughing7:

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help it! I get it from Spartacus, He's responsible for his dribble too..... :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread