Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Resized_20170726_183633.jpg
Resized_20170726_183656.jpg Resized_20170726_183648.jpg

I went today for a very long walk to a site in Greenwich NJ I've never hunted before. I have been in my old lakes almost every day picking away at some junk rings, clad, a few older nickles and newer silver coins. I only stayed on the dirt road at this large wooded area, doing the right hand side of the road going in then the other side going out. I was in the woods about four hours. Good day for it, about 75 and the humidity was not quite so bad. Going in I found this strange copper/brass "whatsit". Not sure what to call it.
20170726_1846241.jpg 20170726_1845581.jpg
If anyone has a proper ID for this please feel free to chime in?
Here is the group shot
Resized_20170726_183619.jpg Resized_20170726_170947.jpg
On the way back I heard a nice sound that I almost passed up thinking it was another shotgun headstamp. I actually took about four steps and thought I must be really tired to pass up an target in that number range, thinking to myself, how many Spanish Reals have I found that sound and number like that. Out pops this 32 mm copper from about 10 inches down in that South Jersey glass sand. One look at it and seeing the detail and the Latin I knew it had to be something old good. Can't wait till it's cold enough to kill the ticks and chiggers, I'll be back in there often.
Resized_20170726_155005.jpg Resized_20170726_155009.jpg

Here are a bunch of pix of my water finds from my two lakes that I like to hunt up to my neck in. These are from the last few weeks.

20170726_1843331.jpg 20170726_1842461.jpg 20170722_2207181.jpg 20170722_1551191.jpg 20170721_1515141.jpg 20170721_1602261.jpg 20170718_1657071.jpg 20170720_0854431.jpg 20170710_1647481.jpg 20170703_1226161.jpg 20170519_1451051.jpg 20170726_1843071.jpg

Upvote 28

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, you have as usual found some super awesome finds. That button was cool enough and yet you have even more great finds. congrats on the superb finds

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow amazing finds its crazy all the stuff thats just inches under ground I like that whats it really interesting.. Thanks for the post!!!!!!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer site!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, you have as usual found some super awesome finds. That button was cool enough and yet you have even more great finds. congrats on the superb finds
Thanks loot!

Wow amazing finds its crazy all the stuff thats just inches under ground I like that whats it really interesting.. Thanks for the post!!!!!!
Thanks

Killer site!
Thanks

These buttons have turned up numberous times in the "What is It?" Forum, and this thread summarizes the concensus: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/279086-real-reproduction.html
I'm not going to pretend to claim I know about these things. I often wonder about tompac buttons that have an iron shank. The shank is still on this button, there were six tea parties in the colonies around when the Boston Tea Party took place. There was a tea party in Greenwich NJ. There was also the Hancock house, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hancock_House_(Lower_Alloways_Creek_Township,_New_Jersey) This site is within ten miles of that house along with allot of my sites. There were Hessian soldiers in that area. I read your threads before I posted I also found this one.
Resized_received_1669455606439144.jpg

In all the threads no one denotes what is a true button, Cannonball said there was no iron on the back of these so call real ones. I'd love to see a real one, if in fact mine is not one?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your wrong, all I'm saying is you might be, I might be. I'm just not convinced yet?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man you have the life Brad, Your having fun at both kinds of fishing. Congrats on all those finds. Love the button.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I look forward to when The crops are harvested, I'm going to try for more permissions, I'll start soon riding around looking for the farmers out so I don't have to knock on their doors. Of course the old permissions will produce also. I plan on spending some time deer hunting this year too. I have not done that last few years. I hope to gain permission to hunt the one farm that I seen that monster buck last year.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have been doing very well congrats on all the nice finds

Man you have the life Brad, Your having fun at both kinds of fishing. Congrats on all those finds. Love the button.

Thanks guys, I look forward to when The crops are harvested, I'm going to try for more permissions, I'll start soon riding around looking for the farmers out so I don't have to knock on their doors. Of course the old permissions will produce also. I plan on spending some time deer hunting this year too. I have not done that last few years. I hope to gain permission to hunt the one farm that I seen that monster buck last year.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful spot to hunt. So peaceful looking. I hope you can get a confirmation on that way cool looking button. That brass copper thing with the sword looking image on it looks very crude, old, and cool too. Nice recoveries on land & in the deep. I'll trade ya' my four shiny buttons for your crusty old green button.:toothy4:

001.jpg 002.jpg

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the variety of finds, and digging something different like that interesting button

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks loot!

Thanks

Thanks

I'm not going to pretend to claim I know about these things. I often wonder about tompac buttons that have an iron shank. The shank is still on this button, there were six tea parties in the colonies around when the Boston Tea Party took place. There was a tea party in Greenwich NJ. There was also the Hancock house, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hancock_House_(Lower_Alloways_Creek_Township,_New_Jersey) This site is within ten miles of that house along with allot of my sites. There were Hessian soldiers in that area. I read your threads before I posted I also found this one.
View attachment 1476580

In all the threads no one denotes what is a true button, Cannonball said there was no iron on the back of these so call real ones. I'd love to see a real one, if in fact mine is not one?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your wrong, all I'm saying is you might be, I might be. I'm just not convinced yet?

Most definitely a modern button and I think a big part of the problem is people using the term... reproduction. There's no German Rev War button that looks like this - heck there's no German button that looks like anything because they wore plain and there has never been an identified designed button confirmed. So a fantasy button is a better term, but I'm not sure I would even call it that because I doubt it's intention has anything to do with a war, especially an early one. That said, it's not made like an early button so it's a non starter and you don't need to know much else to rule it out as anything substantial. Good for a little adrenaline rush though!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Job Brad, Glad to see you are still at it. Interesting finds!!
Just got to this, you must of snuck in your reply while I was writing my dissertation about weather or not my button is real or reproduction? Thanks for your comment!

What does that mean in English? I think i found one of those also?
God is our hope
I like that and like that I found that

Beautiful spot to hunt. So peaceful looking. I hope you can get a confirmation on that way cool looking button. That brass copper thing with the sword looking image on it looks very crude, old, and cool too. Nice recoveries on land & in the deep. I'll trade ya' my four shiny buttons for your crusty old green button.:toothy4:

View attachment 1476607 View attachment 1476609
I actually like the other find better, ha lol, probally because I don't know what it is? The area is so filled with history, I have found so many interesting things that I never find out what they are for sure

Nice job on the variety of finds, and digging something different like that interesting button
Thanks J

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

Most definitely a modern button and I think a big part of the problem is people using the term... reproduction. There's no German Rev War button that looks like this - heck there's no German button that looks like anything because they wore plain and there has never been an identified designed button confirmed. So a fantasy button is a better term, but I'm not sure I would even call it that because I doubt it's intention has anything to do with a war, especially an early one. That said, it's not made like an early button so it's a non starter and you don't need to know much else to rule it out as anything substantial. Good for a little adrenaline rush though!
Thanks, I guess I read that the Hessians wore the Tompac buttons, I have found quite a few of those in my fields, makes sense, after all that is why I'm not seeing a real one. I noticed it was light (8.4 Grams) I just weighed it. Without giving up this site, it also makes sense why there was allot of modern stuff there. I even found a Philadelphia Transit token there.
I really thought I had something special, I wouldn't be surprised if the person who lost this wore it because the Latin translates to "God is our hope" That is treasure enough for me.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds, Treble. Is it possible that the strange brass piece is a pocket good luck token or maybe a hand made game piece? I see a crude broadsword design. "Sword of God," etc... Sub 8-)

sword.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread