Not a typical new detector question

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off I posted a similar thread in the Minelab forum because I am strongly considering getting a Minelab CTX but I thought since the ground is still frozen here in Mn I would do some exhaustive research on all options.
I sold my AT Pro, it is a great detector and I put a LOT of hours on it, by a lot I mean I detected every day after work even in the pitch black with a headlamp on in and out of the water, dry land, I mean every type of land you can detect EXCEPT salt water, I live in MN so obviously no salt water around. You may be wondering why I sold my AT Pro and I will be completely honest, I was bored with it, not so much with my finds but the machine itself, I was also not terribly impressed with it at certain fresh water beaches in the water and on wet sand, signals would be scratchy and unreliable at times, I would get a scratchy signal that I thought may be half of a bobby pin and it would turn out to be a quarter, I ground balanced and tweaked and tried different things but I flat out don't trust it.
My question is if you were willing to spend good money getting a machine that was good in water and on land what would you get? I KNOW different machines have strong/weak points but there HAS to be a machine that is good for both. I looked a little bit into the Fors Core and XP Dues but I don't think they are waterproof, I like getting out there in the water up to my nipples where others may have skipped either because their machine wasn't waterproof, or maybe they just aren't as tall as I am, I am willing to do anything include getting a nice machine to give me a leg up on the competition.
Ideally I am looking for people who have owned several machines and their opinion of what the best one was. This may start an argument but that's o.k., different people like different brands and will defend them, cool with me, just give me the reasons WHY you like the machine.
Also I am hoping to hear about real world experience, not some crappy air test where someone waves a half dollar at about 60 miles an hour in front of a coil on you tube and says a detector doesn't work well. Ideally someone who comes on here and says, "hey dude you would not believe the stuff I was missing at the park with my XY detector, I bought a XZ detector and was blown away!".
Before I get people thinking I am some rich snob willing to drop 2 grand or more on a detector I'm not, I work hard and long(ya I know that's what she said) for my money and given the fact detecting is something I do on a daily basis(all day on weekends if I don't work) I think it's an awesome investment! Please do not hold back your opinions even if you think you may offend someone. Thanks Guys and Gals!

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I participated in one of your other threads concerning Minelabs.

Very personally, they're where I'm at, have had many. In the end I went from the Etrac to the CTX - just because I wanted that type of detector, which really isn't suited for just anyone. I was concerned about water leakage on the CTX. So much so that I picked up the Excal II for the water.

Me, I'm pretty intent on the direction I chose.

My choice is not for everyone, it was just for me. So, I will say this:

Just take your time and the right tools will appear. You'll get there. The worst thing in the world would be that you'd make a choice based on what I and other users recommend - and then be disappointed in the end. Take a good look at YOU and what you want, how you wish to approach it.

My hunting buddy has a Tesoro Tiger Shark. His style of swinging is different from mine, and his results usually double mine. I'm a slow walker, and he gets in there swinging like we used to swing those old Whites 6000D's in the 80's. He does very well. I do very slow.

If you look at the way you handle your ATP, and the eventual boredom you're now suffering.... From my standpoint you're ready for a machine more complex and perhaps more capable.

Take your time, there's plenty other machines out there.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deepseeker- I am still leaning towards the CTX, just thought I would get a little more input on the open forum before pulling the trigger.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Deepseeker- I am still leaning towards the CTX, just thought I would get a little more input on the open forum before pulling the trigger.

You'll note I still have my Fisher 1260X I purchased in '84. Realistically, it's just as good as my CTX in my experience. But the CTX, there's a bit more to it - just to me.

When I'm swinging the CTX, I'm sending science in the ground beneath it. That's what curls my toes! I know that when I'm searching properly, I'm doing just about the best I can expect to be doing, sending that FBS2 to the underside of that grass :)

I guess it's kinda like feeling very "potent" :)

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottlecap, I have an ATP and an excal II. Like you, I got bored with the ATP and wanted a reliable water machine. I still use the ATP when the tides aren't right or I want to hit the dry sands. It never disappoints. I did consider a CTX, frankly still am, but the excal II has delivered some amazing results of late. Including some smaller diamond rings. So I pushed off buying one just because I don't want to go through a learning curve on a new machine right now.

Money isn't an issue, I've paid for the next 10 machines already with my finds. I will probably buy one in the near future because I've spoken to many people I've met and they all love them.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to take a look at the new White's MX Sport. Not out yet but they have some videos out and it's looking like it will be a great land and water machine.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might want to take a look at the new White's MX Sport. Not out yet but they have some videos out and it's looking like it will be a great land and water machine.

Looks really promising Susan! I have to say I respect White's for listening to their customers requests, sounds like everyone wanted a waterproof MXT and they are delivering it plus giving it a faster processor for better recovery speed and target separation, could be an awesome machine. Anyone know a release date or price?

Think I found the projected price of about $750.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are there any other new detectors coming out from any of the other companies this spring?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, $799 is official price but dealers are posting $749. No release date I've seen yet, just "spring", but some dealers are taking preorders.

no other new machines I have heard about.

HD Paulie

Sep 20, 2015
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab Etrac
Fisher CZ-6
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the CTX3030, and the Fisher CZ-21. Both have their place, however the CZ-21 is made for fresh and salt water, rather than out of the water. I love the depth the CZ-21 gives me, but trying to "scoop" a deep sand hole, while the tide regularly ebbs and flows, is very tough to say the least. The CTX3030, I love the "tones"as it will give you an idea of what is under the coil, so you not scooping sand for nothing. Out of the water, the CTX3030 is magic!! I love both the audio, and visual components of the CTX3030 so much, that in my opinion, nothing compares to it (at this time).

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I needed a new, all around machine, It would be the CTX. I believe it's the best one currently on the market. It doesn't do everything perfect (no such machine exists right now) but it does most things very well to excellent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread